Attempt on capturing light trails

Status
Not open for further replies.
your link's not working...

frostyIntrepid said:
Tried to capture light trails but this spot appears in the picture.

If you mean the spot to the left of the tree trunk, that is lens flare.

frostyIntrepid said:
anything to prevent it?

You could change the framing to reduce the flare (less street lamps in the picture), or move it to a position where it is more acceptable (or even make it part of the picture), or touch it up in postprocessing. Use the simplest lens available (fewer optical elements -> fewer reflections).

With such huge contrast in one image (bright street lamps & dark surroundings), even very weak flares become noticeable. To some extent, you just have to live with it.

Sorry for quoting myself...

LittleWolf said:
Use the simplest lens available (fewer optical elements -> fewer reflections).

In the extreme limit, you could also use a pinhole, which - in principle - is completely flare-free. (But one has to pay attention to the edges of the pinhole, as they may also scatter light.)

LittleWolf said:
You could change the framing to reduce the flare (less street lamps in the picture), or move it to a position where it is more acceptable (or even make it part of the picture), or touch it up in postprocessing. Use the simplest lens available (fewer optical elements -> fewer reflections).

With such huge contrast in one image (bright street lamps & dark surroundings), even very weak flares become noticeable. To some extent, you just have to live with it.

Can I add-in Cir PL to reduce flare ?
or .. err.. this filter only can be used for noon time when the sun 90 deg
above us ?

angmoh said:
Can I add-in Cir PL to reduce flare ?
or .. err.. this filter only can be used for noon time when the sun 90 deg
above us ?

Lens flare is caused by reflections at glass surfaces within the lens. Putting a filter in front of the lens adds two more surfaces that give rise to additional reflections and will most likely make things worse. (For the same reason, I would recommend to generally stay away from "protection filters", i.e. UV filters.)

Polarization filters can help to cut down on reflected light before it enters the lens (e.g. reflections from window glass, water, or other smooth surfaces). They won't help with internal reflections.

Status
Not open for further replies.