Attach Flash = Faster Shutter Speed ?

fatBozZ

Jun 5, 2010
Bros / Sis
If i buy a flash and attach on my Camera .. After metering can i set my shutter speed more faster ?

D90 flash sync speed is 1/200. However, if you use flash that support FP high speed sync, you can use up much higher shutter speeds.

Bros / Sis
If i buy a flash and attach on my Camera .. After metering can i set my shutter speed more faster ?

A flash can only assist to a certain extent. You'd have to read up more on light and how a flash assists in certain conditions.

Bros / Sis
you need specify the situation of the scene you are taking, no one rule/solution fix all situation..

example #1, using flash in daylight, you may encounter max sync speed issue unless your camera and flash support High Speed Sync.

example #2, using flash in low light situation, once you attach the flash, your flash will be main light, increase shutter speed will make the ambient light darker, if this is desire.

so what is your situation?

Without flash , you control ambient light exposure.
With Flash , you need to control ambient light exposure and flash exposure.
With a flash you have another variable to work with. So its not as simple as just a difference in shutter speed.

Flash color is different from ambient light color in indoor scenes. If the sole purpose is to freeze the target in place ignoring other ambient effects , yes flash can do that perfectly.

Quick reply to all ShiFu ...
Recently i am taking photo of flower on some event on suntec .. call international flower event or something ..
When i try to meter the flower / the scene ... my iso is set to 200 my metering system tells me " oh u need 3 sec " (f11)
and my pictures always blurs as i cant hold it perfectly steady for 3 sec ..
But when i look around .. alot of expert ( i assume ) uses flash and they can just " click " and go ...
so i was just wondering ... if we are having the same metering method how come u can click and go, where else i have to " click wait "

:(

Last edited:
hi! i think you can try increasing your iso to greater than 200 as well in order to attain a faster shutter speed.
correct me if i'm wrong, but i think d90 should be able to go up to about 400-800 with tolerable noise?

hi! i think you can try increasing your iso to greater than 200 as well in order to attain a faster shutter speed.
correct me if i'm wrong, but i think d90 should be able to go up to about 400-800 with tolerable noise?

Actually my ISO is around 500
The above mention is just examples ...:cry:

Quick reply to all ShiFu ...
Recently i am taking photo of flower on some event on suntec .. call international flower event or something ..
When i try to meter the flower / the scene ... my iso is set to 200 my metering system tells me " oh u need 3 sec " (f11)
and my pictures always blurs as i cant hold it perfectly steady for 3 sec ..
But when i look around .. alot of expert ( i assume ) uses flash and they can just " click " and go ...
so i was just wondering ... if we are having the same metering method how come u can click and go, where else i have to " click wait "

:(

It's the Singapore Garden Festival.

It's probably a bad idea to assume that using flash = expert.

You're not getting the same metering when you have a flash, 'cos the flash will be an additional source of light when the exposure is made. If you set the camera to auto, P or Av mode with a flash, it will probably set the shutter speed to something between 1/60 to 1/180 (or whatever the max sync speed is), and a flash set to TTL mode will put out enough light to make sure that your subject has sufficient light. So in that way, you can just "click" and go. But that is probably not the best way to get a nice picture, 'cos the background will not be lit by the flash, and what you get is a brightly (and probably harshly) lit flower in a black background.

Some other stuff you might want to read up on will be slow sync flash (to get nicely lit foreground and background) and colour balance for flash and ambient light (very relevant in the Garden Festival, considering all the different lights they use there for the displays).

Anyway, if you thought using a flash might be a solution, did you try using your built-in flash and see if it worked for you? The built-in flash may not be very powerful, and you might get a shadow at the bottom depending on the lens you're using, but at least you'll have an idea of what the flash can or cannot do for you.

Flash is best used with Tv or Manual in my opinion.(very biased opinion)
This would only be your opinion, based also on the way Canon flash metering works. Nikon system works differently.

With Flash attach ... my camera's metering calculation formula will change automatically or will remain the same ?? sorry i havent got a flash yet so i am not sure ...

:dunno: