ATP GPS Photo Finder Is Geotagging Made Brainless

Status
Not open for further replies.

slaam

Aug 29, 2004
West
naturespies.blogspot.com
http://www.ohgizmo.com/2007/12/26/atp-gps-photo-finder-is-geotagging-made-brainless/

Photo Finder. It does basically the same thing, except faster and better and without a PC. It takes a couple AA batts and works just like a normal GPS device, storing up to 550 hours of location data (updated every 5 seconds) on its 128mb of internal memory. Make sure your camera is synced to the GPS time the Photo Finder displays, and when you’re done shooting, just stick your camera’s SD/MMC/MS card into the Photo Finder and it’ll automatically geotag all your pics. So, it’s a card reader too, and comes with a USB cable to connect to your computer if you want. The current limitation (besides the memory card restriction) is that it only works with JPEGs, so if you’re into RAW, you’re out of luck. The geotagged pics integrate directly into Google Earth and Google Maps (with Picasa), and if you’ve never tried it before, it’s totally cool. Maybe not quite worth the $130 MSRP cool, but cool nonetheless.

dang! it doesnt work with RAWs

dang! it doesnt work with RAWs

haha cos RAW exif or iptc meta info differs for all camera brands bah..
unless they change the RAW format..to a universal one
maybe the adobe raw DNG format can be supported in the future?

I would like to tell my story about trying to get the ATP GPS photofinder.

I tried to purchase it in October 2007 and personally for me, the ATP literally means All The Problems. I tried to email a few available point of contact from ATP website and Borge Imaging Australia and didn't get any reply.

http://www.borge.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=15295&osCsid=8a80e5f38051d96b0508b10a3dd0d830

In November, I got help from Robb Nunn from the below mentioned website as he received a set for testing and evaluation.

http://www.sciuridae.co.uk/technology/atp_photofinder_review.htm

He emailed his point of contact at ATP to me. This was before the official ATP website has the point of contact.

http://photofinder.atpinc.com/

I got help from Cynthia, cynthiatsai@tw.atpinc.com and was told to contact Peggy who was in charged of Singapore sales, peggyhung@tw.atpinc.com .

I was told by Peggy that I can buy direct from ATP Taiwan or contact Borge's Imaging of Australia. I emailed and told her that I would like to buy direct from ATP Taiwan as I didn't receive any email reply from Borge's Imaging about my online purchase order.

One week passed and I didn't receive any reply from Peggy and I contacted Cynthia again.

Cynthia helped me by contacting Borge's Imaging Australia and I received an email from Mike Henry, mike@borge.com.au , on 18 of December that the shipping and and handling charges will be AU$22 to Singapore. He requested my credit card information and I gave him promptly those information so that it can be delivered before the Christmas and Boxing day holiday in Australia.

I've emailed Mike Henry again on 27 December 2007 to ask about my order. It's the end of December and I'm still waiting for my ATP gps photofinder from Borge's Imaging Australia.

I would strongly suggest that Clubsnappers refrain from trying to buy the ATP GPS Photofinder at this point of time.

It takes a couple AA batts and works just like a normal GPS device, storing up to 550 hours of location data (updated every 5 seconds) on its 128mb of internal memory. Make sure your camera is synced to the GPS time the Photo Finder displays, and when you’re done shooting, just stick your camera’s SD/MMC/MS card into the Photo Finder and it’ll automatically geotag all your pics.

I would feel a bit uneasy about a gadget that modifies the original image files. Wouldn't it be safer (and more versatile) to just download logged GPS data and reconcile it with (copies of) the image files on the computer? This would also allow for any interested programmer to make it work with image formats that are otherwise unsupported.

I've just received the ATP GPS photofinder last week, March.

Apparently, Borge's Imaging has mislabelled my address and it was returned back to the Melbourne office.

Thanks to Cynthia from ATP and Noelene from Borge's Imaging for the help to get the ATP GPS photofinder.

2358227438_349c5c3c18.jpg

2353783485_aca681fb75.jpg

Package contents of the box, left to right, ATP GPS Photofinder, plastic carabina, USB cable connector for card reader and the instruction manual.

2351989804_2aa1d51cfd.jpg

Dimension of the ATP GPS Photofinder: Length 8cm, Height 4.2cm, Breadth 2.5cm.

LCD display: Length 3cm, Height 0.7cm. Font, uppercase 2mm, lowercase 1mm.

The ATP GPS Photofinder is much more bulkier then the Sony GPS-CS1.

It uses the SiRFStar III chipset.

I've just received the ATP GPS photofinder last week, March.

Apparently, Borge's Imaging has mislabelled my address and it was returned back to the Melbourne office.

Thanks to Cynthia from ATP and Noelene from Borge's Imaging for the help to get the ATP GPS photofinder.

2358227438_349c5c3c18.jpg

2353783485_aca681fb75.jpg

Package contents of the box, left to right, ATP GPS Photofinder, plastic carabina, USB cable connector for card reader and the instruction manual.

2351989804_2aa1d51cfd.jpg

Dimension of the ATP GPS Photofinder: Length 8cm, Height 4.2cm, Breadth 2.5cm.

LCD display: Length 3cm, Height 0.7cm. Font, uppercase 2mm, lowercase 1mm.

The ATP GPS Photofinder is much more bulkier then the Sony GPS-CS1.

It uses the SiRFStar III chipset.

This looks promising - how much did you pay for the device?
Since it's using the SiRF chipset, I would expect this to be much sticker to the GPS signal compared to the Sony.

It'll be really useful and worth the US$122 if it's got bluetooth and will pair with other devices.

I would feel a bit uneasy about a gadget that modifies the original image files. Wouldn't it be safer (and more versatile) to just download logged GPS data and reconcile it with (copies of) the image files on the computer? This would also allow for any interested programmer to make it work with image formats that are otherwise unsupported.

its probably the same thing.
the device probably appends gps info to the exif fo the image file .

Not sure if you guys heard of this brand, but this is what I am using.
http://www.makagps.com/product/qstarz/q1000.shtml

I find it not that bad in term of function and usage, the only trouble part is to use the bundle s/w to geo tag the photos.

Anyway, as it can be connected using a BT so can also be use as a gps navigator if you have a PDA or h/p that have a navigating s/w such as mapking.

Not sure if you guys heard of this brand, but this is what I am using.
http://www.makagps.com/product/qstarz/q1000.shtml

I find it not that bad in term of function and usage, the only trouble part is to use the bundle s/w to geo tag the photos.

Anyway, as it can be connected using a BT so can also be use as a gps navigator if you have a PDA or h/p that have a navigating s/w such as mapking.
Looks not bad.
How much and where u bought it from?

Can post the contact here? Cos previous experience of trying to introduce this device to our member here and saying that my contact are willing to give discount IF mass order and I kanna a warning for creating a MO. So now I very careful in posting lobang liao.
Anyway, if you guys are interested, then just PM me and we can always discuss off line.

Can post the contact here? Cos previous experience of trying to introduce this device to our member here and saying that my contact are willing to give discount IF mass order and I kanna a warning for creating a MO. So now I very careful in posting lobang liao.
Anyway, if you guys are interested, then just PM me and we can always discuss off line.

Hahahahah so jialat meh?
oh anyway I dint know abt ur lobang thing I tot we can approach the contact separately

but if u dunno if ppl are willing do pool together to buy then the MO person wont be very risky meh?
so what's the rules now huh? we can't do test market MO threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.