Atop the SAFTI Tower

Foress

May 20, 2011
resize

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
I was wondering what you all think of this photo. Did it bring out any emotion? Were you captivated by it?
2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I was hoping to achieve a feeling of energy, as this marks of the start of the OCS journey in the army.
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I was at my brother's OCS visitation day. I'm quite proud of him. He's my inspiration and role-model for a lot of things and I aspire to become like him. That day was an amazing one. Despite the hot weather and my formal wear, I felt pride in the fact that I was the brother of a (now comissioned, bronze-dagger and Sword of Merit recipent) officer cadet. We went atop the SAFTI Tower after much waiting, and the ladder there leads up to the sky, with nothing above. Yet it seemed to symbolize something. Quickly, I grabbed a shot. I could feel my parents' pride. This photo sums up my hopes for my brother in his NS journey.
4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I think that this picture is one of my best shots. It was shot using NIKON D5000•18mm•F/6.3•1/160sec•ISO-200. Hopefully the community could give me tips for improvement.

resize

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
I was wondering what you all think of this photo. Did it bring out any emotion? Were you captivated by it?
2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I was hoping to achieve a feeling of energy, as this marks of the start of the OCS journey in the army.
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I was at my brother's OCS visitation day. I'm quite proud of him. He's my inspiration and role-model for a lot of things and I aspire to become like him. That day was an amazing one. Despite the hot weather and my formal wear, I felt pride in the fact that I was the brother of a (now comissioned, bronze-dagger and Sword of Merit recipent) officer cadet. We went atop the SAFTI Tower after much waiting, and the ladder there leads up to the sky, with nothing above. Yet it seemed to symbolize something. Quickly, I grabbed a shot. I could feel my parents' pride. This photo sums up my hopes for my brother in his NS journey.
4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I think that this picture is one of my best shots. It was shot using NIKON D5000•18mm•F/6.3•1/160sec•ISO-200. Hopefully the community could give me tips for improvement.

Quite a nice take. A simple "freeze the moment" shot. ;)

thanks! appreciate it!

Very nice. Love the colours and feel. Maybe try a square crop :)

Oh my this tower... Been seeing it for almost 2 years liao...

Sorry no critique but i just have to be here haha..

Anyway this ladder leading up symbolizes nothing AKAIK. It the stairs from level 1 that leads to the viewing point symbolizes something. Every steps that a cadet takes to get to the top is the amount of days they will spend as a Officer Cadet. The ladder you have take is just a ladder to go up and change flag only haha..

Oh my this tower... Been seeing it for almost 2 years liao...

Sorry no critique but i just have to be here haha..

Anyway this ladder leading up symbolizes nothing AKAIK. It the stairs from level 1 that leads to the viewing point symbolizes something. Every steps that a cadet takes to get to the top is the amount of days they will spend as a Officer Cadet. The ladder you have take is just a ladder to go up and change flag only haha..

haha yeah man, just a shot for me as I personally feel that he would rise as high as possible. the ladder is not the main focus in this picture, which is why I put a blur effect like it's going up. :)

Nice shot Foress. I can see this image again and again, and still appreciate it. I really like the result of the line formations (ie. how the straight & circular lines intersect).

Nice shot Foress. I can see this image again and again, and still appreciate it. I really like the result of the line formations (ie. how the straight & circular lines intersect).

thanks YinChu! really appreciate it! :)