astro sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

excentrique

Apr 7, 2002
east
skyetan.multiply.com
I know this is shaky because I did not have a tripod with me. I was training in Australia and felt that the sky was too beautiful to resist, so I held the camera for 25mins exposure.
astro.jpg

Originally posted by excentrique
I know this is shaky because I did not have a tripod with me. I was training in Australia and felt that the sky was too beautiful to resist, so I held the camera for 25mins exposure.

25mins exposure?? :eek: :eek:

Er, Wallaby / Wallaloo exercise?

wallaby.. Yep 25mins... Put a mat out on the grass and support the camera using a box while holding it... It's crazy but fun.

JEEZ! 25 mins!? What camera are u using, how come shutter can expose so long, wow.....

And kudos to your patience, holding ur cam 25mins for a single shot :D Looks blur but amazingly sharp enuff for a 25 min handheld shot :D

hmm, if its me holding the camera for 25 mins, the pic would be that of myself vomitting and lying on the floor!:D

Great try!
I tried it last time bout 6 years back, ex.wallaby, i slept with my camera outside my make shift tent while aiming the camera upwards supported on the filmsy "bed"

Woken up by the cold...guess tat was like 3 or 4 hours past...didnt get the shot...the lens skylight filters condensed over, had to "thaw" in the morning. LoL

Temp dropped to bout 14 degress i overheard the next morning. LoL

Always wanted to do this shot....auz's beautiful...skies full of stars...u got me excited there. :D

SO is it 25 MInutes or 25 SECONDS!!
I think its 25 Seconds hor...

25 secs! no way man... try that and you get total black prints. Minimium 5 mins to catch a short streak of light. I think it's worth the effort. Just thinking of how the whole thing will turn out to be make me motivated to hold the camera as long as I could. That's my spirit I guess;) When doing this type of shot, grab whatever u can source to make yourself stable. I used the cookhouse styrofoam box to support the camera. As for pointing toward the sky, you just have to hold on to it. Yep, and make sure you check the clouds are not coming in the way of the stars!

Long exposure on film camera rulez... The power of bulb exposure on the SLR. Should be 25mins, This is in the middle of no where with minimum lighting... Singapore streets with so much light could sometimes requires 25 seconds exposure liao...

Well, if only you have a wire release that allow you to lock... just lock it and walk away...

Applause the effort~

Originally posted by excentrique
25 secs! no way man... try that and you get total black prints. Minimium 5 mins to catch a short streak of light. I think it's worth the effort. Just thinking of how the whole thing will turn out to be make me motivated to hold the camera as long as I could. That's my spirit I guess;) When doing this type of shot, grab whatever u can source to make yourself stable. I used the cookhouse styrofoam box to support the camera. As for pointing toward the sky, you just have to hold on to it. Yep, and make sure you check the clouds are not coming in the way of the stars!

Not a bad effort given the circumstances, however I'm going to have to take you to task for a couple of inaccuracies in your message above.

1) On 100 ISO film it's not difficult to capture quite good star images with 60-90 second exposures, in particular when the saggitarius arm of our Milky Way galaxy is near the zenith.

2) The best method for star trails is as follows.
Use a tripod, and a lowish ISO film like 100 ISO.
Point camera roughly south (if in southern hemisphere) and at an angle of approx your latitude. Expose for a minimum of 1 hour and preferably 2-3 hours using either a cable release or remote depending on your camera.

Originally posted by Ian

Not a bad effort given the circumstances, however I'm going to have to take you to task for a couple of inaccuracies in your message above.

1) On 100 ISO film it's not difficult to capture quite good star images with 60-90 second exposures, in particular when the saggitarius arm of our Milky Way galaxy is near the zenith.

2) The best method for star trails is as follows.
Use a tripod, and a lowish ISO film like 100 ISO.
Point camera roughly south (if in southern hemisphere) and at an angle of approx your latitude. Expose for a minimum of 1 hour and preferably 2-3 hours using either a cable release or remote depending on your camera.

I would like to try out more astronomical photography one of these days. But in Singapore, the sky are often block by housing estates everywhere. Perhap one day I get to travel again I shall plan for astrophotography. That will be on more of a hobby trip. :D

For those wondering why it isn't a 25 second shot... Here's an example of a 25 second shot at F8 of a HDB flat in Singapore... A City is already so bright, and a 25 second exposure only manage to get this... so image 25 second in the midle of no where?

aac.jpg

(Oh boy you should have look at the amount of noise I see before I resize it..)

Originally posted by Flare
For those wondering why it isn't a 25 second shot... Here's an example of a 25 second shot at F8 of a HDB flat in Singapore... A City is already so bright, and a 25 second exposure only manage to get this... so image 25 second in the midle of no where?

(Oh boy you should have look at the amount of noise I see before I resize it..)

Yep, try multiplying it in all 360degree all round. That's singapore landscape! Hahaa...

Hey... Singapore's Landscape can be very interesting...

Especially those who don't live in uban places...

And there are still people who goes "Singapore? Where's that?" But then there are less of them compared to about (counts) 5 years ago when I first gotten internet access...

Originally posted by Flare
Hey... Singapore's Landscape can be very interesting...

Especially those who don't live in uban places...

And there are still people who goes "Singapore? Where's that?" But then there are less of them compared to about (counts) 5 years ago when I first gotten internet access...

I can't deny it. S'pore sure have a distinct style. However still prefers those old houses, and rundown places. Those are the more interesting things. I prefer to have varieties though.

Status
Not open for further replies.