Asterix goes nostalgic

asterixsg

May 22, 2006
Somewhere in this creation
Recently I bought a new harddisk to make a second copy of my photos. While backing up, I started browsing my photos all the way from 2004. So many of them could have been trashed but have been lying in my PC just because of some silly emotional attachment.

They sure made me so nostalgic, that I decided to start a thread and share a few...

1. Shanghai skyline viewed from The Bund

Have so many memories of this place - spending sleepless nights, watching the city wake up (not that it ever went to sleep), crowds during the day, vendors selling cheap toys, walking in the rain...

Damn. I wish I could be on the next flight there....

5332680683_24fde8144f_z.jpg

2. Family ride

My first trip to Xinjiang in June 2006. Since I knew I wouldn't get leave in Aug/Sep (the best time to be in North Xinjiang), I decided to go in June. Didn't get to see the autumn foliage (obviously), but a unique experience nonetheless. Will never ever make such compromises again.

Totally in love with Xinjiang, so much so that I went again in July/Aug 2008 with few friends to witness the Total Solar Eclipse on 1 Aug 2008...

5333295226_bff0ff35f9_z.jpg

3. Classic Hongcun

It was Dec 2007. Spent 3 weeks in China and ended it with 4 days at Huangshan. On the way back from Huangshan, stopped at Hongcun for a few hours even though it was drizzling throughout...

5332680519_df630504f7_z.jpg

Wow you got shanghai on a good day bro, every time I go there there's always an overcast. I should consolidate my travel photos as well, I've about 10 years of it that I haven't processed or shown anybody yet.

Wow you got shanghai on a good day bro, every time I go there there's always an overcast. I should consolidate my travel photos as well, I've about 10 years of it that I haven't processed or shown anybody yet.

Thanks man. I've got so many photos of the Bund and the Shanghai skyline and it's many moods, that I could possibly do a whole series of it :D

Come on, take out your collection and start sharing.

Spent couple of weeks in England in March 2008. Went around Lake District, Peak District, Yorkshire Dales, Snowdon, Martinmere etc.

Quite a few places I would want to revisit and shoot again, so that I can trash all the photos I took in 2008 :bsmilie:

4. Stone walls

5334940137_2a32ba0ca7_z.jpg

5. Castlerigg Stone Circle, Keswick

5335553946_7343bf430f_z.jpg

6. Brimham rocks near Summerbridge in Nidderdale (Yorkshire Dales)

5334939549_28e1d74865_z.jpg

Last edited:
Continuing with some photos from that same trip to England as I continue trashing more and more photos...

7. Wastwater

I have some really awesome memories of this place. If ever I go back to the Lake District, it will surely be to this place. Last year when I went for the Three Peaks Challenge, little did I know that Scafell Pike was right next to Wastwater. As we drove past the lake after coming down from Scafell Pike, I could just look out of the window and soak in the views. I had no strength to even lift my camera and take a snapshot.

5337459433_777e53cf3b_z.jpg

8. Bird

This is one REDEYE that I am not gonna fix :bsmilie:

Martinmere is a paradise for bird lovers. Would love to go back and spend an entire day there.

5338072034_044858e85e_z.jpg

9. Somewhere in Peak District

Took a break at a rest area while driving in the Peak District. Passersby had hung small bags of nuts and seeds for the birds to feed. So lovely and caring :thumbsup: You care for life around you and this creation will care for you.

I spent almost 30 minutes shooting the playful birds as they hung from the bags and nibbled on the seeds.

5337459823_90e810c23d_z.jpg

#4 is indeed very unique. Going through archives always come with some surprises. Shots that we thought not nice in the past may turn out nice after some touch up. :)

Very nice thread, and seeing ur pics that means ur skill from 2004 is already :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

#4 is indeed very unique. Going through archives always come with some surprises. Shots that we thought not nice in the past may turn out nice after some touch up. :)

Thanks man. In my case, its been like "Damn. I shot all this crap and these photos have been sitting on my harddisk all these years. Delete. Delete. Delete." :bsmilie:

Very nice thread, and seeing ur pics that means ur skill from 2004 is already :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you. But what you are seeing here is just one in probably a hundred. The rest 99 are crap. :bsmilie:

Photography is a long journey. And I am thoroughly enjoying it :)

Beautiful photos of beautiful places. It is indeed a wonderful feeling looking back at what one has gone through over the years, through the nice moments captured on the photographs. Keep the wonderful photos coming !

The Lake District photos bring back some memories.

Sorry, I've been busy and weekends are packed.. Will reply you soon. :)

that lake is so beautiful and so is the shot !

Thanks. Wastwater is indeed extremely beautiful. I think they don't allow people to camp there, but I would love to camp there for a few days and explore the surroundings and capture the different moods of the lake.

Beautiful photos of beautiful places. It is indeed a wonderful feeling looking back at what one has gone through over the years, through the nice moments captured on the photographs. Keep the wonderful photos coming !

Thanks, will be some time before I update this thread again. Have far too many memories, and sometimes I wish I could erase all of those :)

I see that you had a wonderful time in Myanmar. Seems that the weather wasn't particularly in your favour. And come to think of it, I was there exactly a year ago and we had chosen Myanmar (and Bagan in particular to shoot the solar eclipse). Of all the places on the eclipse path, in the past several years, Bagan had the clearest skies in Jan with absolutely no rain and no cloud cover. We humans have completely messed up the weather patterns.

The Lake District photos bring back some memories.

Sorry, I've been busy and weekends are packed.. Will reply you soon. :)

Take your time, no hurry.

I remember seeing your wonderful Lake District photos and remember telling you that you should visit Wastwater if you got a chance :)

I see that you had a wonderful time in Myanmar. Seems that the weather wasn't particularly in your favour. And come to think of it, I was there exactly a year ago and we had chosen Myanmar (and Bagan in particular to shoot the solar eclipse). Of all the places on the eclipse path, in the past several years, Bagan had the clearest skies in Jan with absolutely no rain and no cloud cover. We humans have completely messed up the weather patterns.

Ya, the sky was black black (more like grey grey) and so my face went black black too :) All because of we human...haha

11. Greenwich

Hello uncle asterixsg, beautiful shot and I like it. Very symmetrical..:)

11. Greenwich

Hello uncle asterixsg, beautiful shot and I like it. Very symmetrical..:)

O young master, thanks for your nice comments.

I am a sucker for symmetry. For me, life is all about balance :)

I enjoy watching your APWP thread. Nothing much to comment except WOW !!!