assitant photographer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikhail33

Oct 27, 2009
Tampines
Is it possible for a 15 year old, who has no exprience be a assitant photographer? Like for malay weddings and such?

if you have no experience then maybe you can email a few studios and see if you can do a pure learning but work for free deal,
i was lucky enough to have contacts through my school and did that last year for a little while... its fun, but can be tedious work since as the assistant you usually end up setting up all the gear and doing annoying things like backing up files or putting frames on photos... ya get the picture... haha

Is it possible for a 15 year old, who has no exprience be a assitant photographer? Like for malay weddings and such?
photographer's assistant, yes.

assistant photographer, probably not. but you can try. =)

be assistant photographer means you are the 2nd photographer, a photographer can shoot on your own without any supervision, not as good as main..... but close, so if the first photographer is down you will need to take over the shoot immediately.

or you will offer the same thing as the main photographer but your rate is cheaper than him.

if you think you are capable to be an assistant photographer, sure you can approach studios or the pros to offer your service.

But I think more likely you are looking to be a photographer's assistant (PA). someone assist a photographer in anything and everything but shooting.

But I think more likely you are looking to be a photographer's assistant (PA). someone assist a photographer in anything and everything but shooting.

Not always the case Catchlights, my PA can double as an AP when needed, which is really only needed for some sports events or like at present when I'm too sick to work as she can do the more laborious shoots under supervision ;)

Possible but not likely. Few pros or organisations who employ photographers will take a chance on a 15yr old as an assistant photographer unless it's as a "table photographer" who photographs people at the wedding reception tables, even then it's not likely as you are pretty young. With that said I was your age when I started shooting part time for a long defunct community newspaper in Sydney, however I'd come to the attention of the editor, rather than approaching him.

Not always the case Catchlights, my PA can double as an AP when needed, which is really only needed for some sports events or like at present when I'm too sick to work as she can do the more laborious shoots under supervision ;)
O_O Slave driver!!!! remind me not to be your assistant!

although i dont mind working as a studio/outdoor/creative shoot assistant (the odd job labourer la) I can learn by watching and maybe if im lucky make friends with the main photographer and or the creative director

To TS:
But i think as a assistant photographer quite hard ar. coz the main needs to rely on his AP for shots that he cant get(while he is capturing something else). I think you will have a better chance being a PA, then learn the ropes and get promoted to AP later

Last edited:
lol, that remind me about the drive of Einstein.....

The story is that Albert Einstein's driver used to sit at the back of the hall during each of his lectures, and after a period of time, remarked to Einstein that he could probably give the lecture himself, having heard it several times.
So, at the next stop on the tour, Einstein and the driver switched places, with Einstein sitting at the back, in driver's uniform.
The driver gave the lecture, flawlessly. At the end, a member of the audience asked a detailed question about some of the subject matter, upon which the lecturer replied, 'well, the answer to that question is quite simple, I bet that my driver, sitting up at the back, there, could answer it...'

the morel of your story is YOUR PA can shoot as AP, but not all PA can be AP..... ;)

no offend to any AP or PA, especially to TS.

If I'm not wrong, 15 yrs old still can't work officially. 16 yrs old is the "official" age to work.
As mention.. If it's a non-profit, purely juz an assignment to gain experience, it should be fine.

Asst photographer means that u're a back-up photographer.
Photographer asst means that u're helping the photographer in various ways. (i.e. Set-up tripod, hold the bag etc.)

I started out as a PA at a studio, got to know the photographers and as I personally shoot, they eventually roped me in for their events.

Have been their AP for weddings, and even done a few solo events. Anything is possible!

assistant * sound each letter out one by one.

back to the topic, anything is possible.
you can be a great photographer by the age of 15. whether you have the professionalism and maturity to be relied on and to represent a company big or small is another thing.

hmm. nice tips.
Anyway, Is there any shops/photographer or services that needs an assistant photographer for a 17 year old here?
I also wants to be a wedding photographer. How can I reach there?

Age has nothing to do with it, just look at guys like Joey Lawrence, for example... What matters is your skillset, willingness to learn, and professionalism.

true story:
volenteered to shoot my cousin's wedding.
bridal studio sponsor my hall's pageant & manhunt.
bridal studio need part timer for their bridal show.
i show up.
told them i got take pictures at the end of the they.
showed them the pictures of my 1 experience.

they are short handed, encouraged me to take up their jobs.
did the job. showed them the pictures. they like it. gave me more.

hahah now im parttime resident AD photograher. haha

they wanted me to do studio and pre-wedding for them also. but i say i not experienced enough. dunno how to do creative poses or locations.

so they say, next time got shoot will call me along to let me learn. haha

i guess im lucky i met nice people.

there is nothing wrong with letting a 15 year be your assistant photograher. just make sure you guide him post wedding so that he can learn. tiger woods picked up golf when he was 2 years old!

don't think i should be creating a new thread for my question similar to this so:

am an 18 year old awaiting NS enlistment in abt a month's time, and the time is too short to do like 6 month kind of attachments to government jobs that the girls can use this time before uni to do. so actually was thinking of taking this time to just try out different jobs/fields to get a feel of how is it like, or if i'm good enough, continue that job for the month or so :)

so the first thing that came to my mind is, yes assistant photographer! because i love photography, and its possible i want to engage in a career in the future that involves photography.

i've only owned my own camera for abt 7 months, but i've shot for about a year. feel that i've improved quite a bit in that 7 months i had my own camera at my disposal, although since i only shoot for leisure so far, the subjects are rather restricted la - landscapes, fun shots of ppl, street shots. rather than say studio portraits, or even environmental portraits.

1) with this in mind, is is possible to be an assistant photographer? PA should be no problem, but with such above experience alr is it possible to do smth closer to improving my actual shooting skills?

2) apart from assistant photographer, any other "attachments"/"internships" kind of jobs that a person like me can undertake?

3) with that said, know anywhere/anyone i can find such an attachment job to? or anyone willing to 'take me under their wing'? preferably a kind teacher because i promise to make up whatever lack in experience and skills i have with double the amount of eagerness to learn :D

thanks people!

don't think i should be creating a new thread for my question similar to this so:

am an 18 year old awaiting NS enlistment in abt a month's time, and the time is too short to do like 6 month kind of attachments to government jobs that the girls can use this time before uni to do. so actually was thinking of taking this time to just try out different jobs/fields to get a feel of how is it like, or if i'm good enough, continue that job for the month or so :)

so the first thing that came to my mind is, yes assistant photographer! because i love photography, and its possible i want to engage in a career in the future that involves photography.

i've only owned my own camera for abt 7 months, but i've shot for about a year. feel that i've improved quite a bit in that 7 months i had my own camera at my disposal, although since i only shoot for leisure so far, the subjects are rather restricted la - landscapes, fun shots of ppl, street shots. rather than say studio portraits, or even environmental portraits.

1) with this in mind, is is possible to be an assistant photographer? PA should be no problem, but with such above experience alr is it possible to do smth closer to improving my actual shooting skills?

2) apart from assistant photographer, any other "attachments"/"internships" kind of jobs that a person like me can undertake?

3) with that said, know anywhere/anyone i can find such an attachment job to? or anyone willing to 'take me under their wing'? preferably a kind teacher because i promise to make up whatever lack in experience and skills i have with double the amount of eagerness to learn :D

thanks people!

Like isengrim has quoted his own true story, i shall quote 3 others;

Poly Student, 18

1. Purchased a Eos 1000D with kit lenses
2. Advertise for jobs from $15/hr
3. Got insulted by forumers
4. Upped his rate slowly to $35/hr
5. Did 60+ jobs in 12 months
6. Now is decently successful and owns a 5D and a assortment of prime/zoom lenses that can handle most events/weddings.

JC student, 17

1. Purchased a Eos 50D
2. Helped me out for my photoshoots for many months
3. Learned from first student, and started advertising for his own cheap services.
4. Earned about 1.5k in 2 months, upgraded his gear and improved his skill.
5. Had chance to mingle with more than 2 successful freelancers in this line as assistant PG.

Me

1. Started on a unwanted D70 last october. Shot various birthdays and small events for very little money.
2. Rented a 20D for 3 months.
3. Became an photoshoot organiser.
4. Became a wedding videographer charging low.
5. Saved enough for my full-frame 5D
6. Upped my portfolio for weddings slowly but steadily between march 2009 to nov 2009.
7. Nov 2009; Quit being organiser... gained decent experience in shooting portraiture by then.
8. Now shooting about 3 to 4 weddings a month on average as a low-end freelancer.

Moral of the story; go out and shoot. Don't just wait for someone to hire you and teach you. Market yourself.

thanks people!

hi isaac, it is all about the attitude - willingness to learn and stay committed to the job.

i had a friend who was super enthusiastic about wanting to learn. i gave him the chance to help me (and paid him as well) but on the actual day 1) the job was 7-10 and i told him to meet at 6 but he told me he could only meet at 7. 2) at 10pm the host said due to delay, required us to stay till 11pm but he said he had to scoot off. 3) i wanted to review his photos with him but he said he had no time.

alot of people will say they are eager to learn but whether they can deliever the right attitude and stay committed (i dont expect perfect results if you are learning) is a risk the main photographer has to take.

an assistant photographer will not understand the responsiblity the main photographer has to undertake to deliver results to the employer. his credibility is at stake, not the assistant photographer.

honestly it is always a tough call to choose an assistant photographer.

I've been shooting for 7-8 years and is currently trying to get started with freelance AD photography as 2nd photographer.

so far only countable enquiries have materialized and I really wonder if the "Photo Service Dir" is the right place to look for this type of opportunities.

In case for the pros who are looking for 2nd photographer, may I ask you to take a look at my portfolio below. I have also done numerous corporate events and confident I can handle the job. Appreciate your feedback if my photos can make it or not. if CMI at least I can starting thinking about alternatives.
http://wingsportfolio.shutterfly.com/actualday

BTW I am being responsible and cautious and did not respond to jobs looking for main photographer. I may able to deliver but I don't want to risk my client's big day until I have sufficient experience. Like you guys said above, this job depends a lot on recommendations and hence good results is a must.

ps TS, hope you don't mind my post here. Let me know otherwise and I will start another thread on this instead of cluttering up yours.

Hey guys. thanks for all the replies! So far i havent gotten any requests to be a PA, which was what i meant sorry for the confusion! xD... But i have been to a few weddings and the photogs there where happy to let me follow him around (as long as i did not get into their way :p) and talk to me about all the stuffs they do like pp and all that.. If any of you guys are reading this, Thanks a million!

PS. Feel free to use this to thread for whatever relating to PA's or AP's xD...

Status
Not open for further replies.