Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatlapball

May 13, 2006
Volcano Land
www.emotively.com
Just out of curiosity and to pose a question to the full-time pro out here:

1. Do you make use of assistants?
2. Are they apprentices? Or just out to make ends meet?
3. How do you go about hiring?

I was just wondering on opportunities to learn from pros through assisting (even if its just to hold reflectors and help make mundane table shots at weddings).

1. Yes.

2. Depends. Some want to learn, I'll share. Some just want pocket money, I'm fine with that. Three of my former PAs are now shooting on their own, with their own markets. They all learned more than just mere photography. And we still keep in touch closely.

3. Attitude + character-fit. I don't give a damn for knowledge or experience. There are bad ones who'd be dumped. And there are the good ones whom I'd groom and watch them grow.

:thumbsup: Thanks for sharing Azure. I always thought the best way to learn was to be mentored by a working pro, rather than attending formal courses (I hate classroom courses!), but the question would begin with "how to find one?", other than the odd advertisement I see in the services wanted, how does one go about looking for a 'shifu'. I suppose the culture of photog biz here in SG is markedly different from say, New York City, where you can just stroll into a studio seeking assisting positions. A lack of photog-owned studios here in SG might be a contributor to that? I'm not sure.

I would love to have an opportunity like that :) But, it's a pity I cannot do this full-time or as a job rather, my current position prohibits me from being gainfully employed part-time. Haha. But I guess assisting-on-the-fly without "proper pay" wouldn't count as being gainfully employed would it.

Have a long 6 weeks off from work (and hello! singapore my home!:heart: ) come Jun-Jul, so am thinking of doing something productive with that time rather than sit around rotting at home.

Just out of curiosity and to pose a question to the full-time pro out here:

1. Do you make use of assistants?
2. Are they apprentices? Or just out to make ends meet?
3. How do you go about hiring?

I was just wondering on opportunities to learn from pros through assisting (even if its just to hold reflectors and help make mundane table shots at weddings).

1. Yes when required

2. I try to teach if I can but most of the time no time to teach, so I just instruct them to do certain tasks for me. What you mean make ends meet??

3. I almost always only hire friends or people I know

By that I meant that the assistant is working for the sake of money and not so much for learning. Something like that.

Tks for the feedback :)

By that I meant that the assistant is working for the sake of money and not so much for learning. Something like that.

Tks for the feedback :)

WTD109.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.