Assignment: What can we do to change the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Ice

Dec 7, 2006
Planet Earth
www.tyregirl.com
It's idealist....but what if we, as a community can do something to change the world? None of us really want to be oppressed/burdened as we may currently be feeling with the economic crisis. We don't need to wait for someone else to do something....so what can we do to change the world? Two vids for you:

[vid]tGcwG-2owow[/vid]

[vid]JvbgetKzrmA&feature=related[/vid]

Last edited:
First of all you need support!

Second of all you need connections!

Third of all, you might need money!

Forth of all, this will unlikely/rarely happen in Singapore as Singaporeans do not dare to take risks and generally too afraid to speak up or stand up to be counted.

Last edited:
But it is interesting that many are happy to forward on emails about:
- religion
- changing the world
- jokes to make us laugh

....so why are Singaporeans afraid?....perhaps it is apathy? - a worldwide disease!

To TS, If I could..........

[youtube]fGDIxcuPT7s[/youtube]

first of all, you need to believe in what you want to see as change.

second, you need to be the change you want to see. there is no use telling people to practise more tolerance if you are intolerant.

one little step at a time. :)

okay just listened to it - yeah go eric!

I like the movie "Pay It Forward" - cos something simple made a difference. An inspiration made a difference and rather than pay it back, pay it forward to 3 other people. Which should become exponentially large

c'mon Dovedo, there are singaporeans who are making a difference. They are just not in the media......How cool would it be to have an inspirational section of this forum with photos of folks making a positive difference to their environment.........

....and so when we are feeling down we can turn to this section "Inspirational Folks"...just a thought for the admins for a starter

second, you need to be the change you want to see. there is no use telling people to practise more tolerance if you are intolerant.

Third, the courage to change if change fails to change change. :)

Third, the courage to change if change fails to change change. :)

change whom? yourself?

that is not courage to me. one must always accept that things will not necessarily go the way as planned; and that the world will never be as perfect as we want it to be..

but that doesn't mean giving up one's ideals. :)

agree, so with an economic doom and gloom, how about us being a little think tank and look at how we can make it a better place. Put suggestions together.....

as a start what d'ya think about the movie "Pay It Forward"? Do something for 3 people and instead when they say they'll pay you back you ask them to pay it forward to 3 others?

as a start what d'ya think about the movie "Pay It Forward"? Do something for 3 people and instead when they say they'll pay you back you ask them to pay it forward to 3 others?

:)

why 3? why not make the effort to do a good deed, when you perceive that it comes at marginal cost to yourself? everytime you have a chance? simple things like holding a door open, giving up a seat, making the effort to thank you, clearing up litter you see on the street.. the list goes on.

small things mean a lot more to people than we care to admit. small things lead to not-so-small things, not-so-small things lead to medium sized things, and it culminates in large things. making the world the better place doesn't mean starting a charity, or sending a huge bumper hamper to africa. it can be done anytime, anywhere, anyhow.

Last edited:
change whom? yourself?

that is not courage to me. one must always accept that things will not necessarily go the way as planned; and that the world will never be as perfect as we want it to be..

I dunno, changing oneself is a start but a very difficult one........as one is rarely wrong!!!
To reconcile with someone who has been malicious to you, is a big change in one's mindset.
To forgive is a hard change......but wow, how much more peace would be in this world if that could happen!

okay just listened to it - yeah go eric!

I like the movie "Pay It Forward" - cos something simple made a difference. An inspiration made a difference and rather than pay it back, pay it forward to 3 other people. Which should become exponentially large

c'mon Dovedo, there are singaporeans who are making a difference. They are just not in the media......How cool would it be to have an inspirational section of this forum with photos of folks making a positive difference to their environment.........

....and so when we are feeling down we can turn to this section "Inspirational Folks"...just a thought for the admins for a starter

Well, Singaporeans generally have a heck-care attitude and wait and see approach, I'm not saying that Singaporeans are not aiming to make a difference, but generally we are very spoilt and over pampered, and so most are not bothered to make a difference as they are too reliant on others.

Personally I find that Singaporeans who generally make a difference are those who come from a poor and middile class background, as they have a stronger will to succeed and change the future.

I dunno, changing oneself is a start but a very difficult one........as one is rarely wrong!!!
To reconcile with someone who has been malicious to you, is a big change in one's mindset.
To forgive is a hard change......but wow, how much more peace would be in this world if that could happen!

Before world peace can happen there need to be peace in Kopitiam first. :bsmilie:

:)

why 3? why not make the effort to do a good deed, when you perceive that it comes at marginal cost to yourself? everytime you have a chance? simple things like holding a door open, giving up a seat, making the effort to thank you, clearing up litter you see on the street.. the list goes on.

Yes agree.....

The "3" in the movie is about doing 3 life changing acts, such as taking a beggar off the streets and giving him/her a roof over their head and a job (if you could). It's about making more of an effort to create change.

Well, Singaporeans generally have a heck-care attitude and wait and see approach, I'm not saying that Singaporeans are not aiming to make a difference, but generally we are very spoilt and over pampered, and so most are not bothered to make a difference as they are too reliant on others.

Personally I find that Singaporeans who generally make a difference are those who come from a poor and middile class background, as they have a stronger will to succeed and change the future.

So what d'ya think about a photo section of "Inspirational things that people have done to make a difference". These can be small things to start with.....such as nightmare's list......

it's either you put in something or take away something. u were not specific enough..

well, to really change the world for the worst, it's very simple. try taking away 'electricity'..

wii i score a 'B+' for that... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.