Assembling a PC - MY or SG cheaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gymrat76

May 10, 2004
Anyone been keeping up with hardware and stuff? Was thinking of assembling a PC (without monitor) for my sis in KL, but would it be cheaper to get the PC from SG (Sim Lim) or KL (Low Yatt)? Not taking into account transport and such...

SG cheaper..

download the price lists from lowyat (http://www.lowyat.net) and hwz and compare them, some stuff might be slightly cheaper in KL, overall i think SG still cheaper.

Astin said:
Frankly, u get pretty good deal to buy direct from Dell nowadays...

Hi Astin

Reason I don't choose Dell is because I think I can get better value for my $ if I mix and match my own parts, plus I have some hardware from an older PC which I can reuse in the new PC, such as my SoubdBlaster Live! and GeForce cards. :)

caseytan said:
download the price lists from lowyat (http://www.lowyat.net) and hwz and compare them, some stuff might be slightly cheaper in KL, overall i think SG still cheaper.

Thanks Soma and caseytan,

Will browse through the pricelists and see. I just need to basically get a processor, motherboard, RAM and casing/power supply. I still have my old 19" Samsung monitor and stuff like sound/video card from my old AMD system. Anyway, most motherboards these days come with on board video and sound :)

Gymrat76 said:
Hi Astin

Reason I don't choose Dell is because I think I can get better value for my $ if I mix and match my own parts, plus I have some hardware from an older PC which I can reuse in the new PC, such as my SoubdBlaster Live! and GeForce cards. :)
I thought like u earlier this year, then I went shopping in Sim Lim and compared prices, then I calculated that buying the whole thing from Dell is still cheaper, I also had some old hardware (from old self-assembled Pentium3) but they are not meant for the current technological superior (dont know what) super hyper Pentium DDDDRAM SATHDD USB2.0 etc etc.

GRY, the pricings for parts in MY I find is not that all worth the savings than in SG.

Some parts are cheaper but some are dirtily expensive.

I would assemble in SG of course.

Astin said:
I thought like u earlier this year, then I went shopping in Sim Lim and compared prices, then I calculated that buying the whole thing from Dell is still cheaper, I also had some old hardware (from old self-assembled Pentium3) but they are not meant for the current technological superior (dont know what) super hyper Pentium DDDDRAM SATHDD USB2.0 etc etc.

Haha, think the usual stuff like PCI sound card and such can still use la.. anyway, will take a second look and compare with the Dell catalog again, just to be sure. Thx

espn said:
GRY, the pricings for parts in MY I find is not that all worth the savings than in SG.

Some parts are cheaper but some are dirtily expensive.

I would assemble in SG of course.

OK will check it out. But as far as I know, computer parts are tax-free in Malaysia, so they should be cheaper than SG. Will have to do a comparison to be sure ;)

Gymrat76 said:
OK will check it out. But as far as I know, computer parts are tax-free in Malaysia, so they should be cheaper than SG. Will have to do a comparison to be sure ;)
My gauge is from City Square and Holiday Plaza in JB of course, so I find SLS cheaper, the casings + PSUs are slightly cheaper, but older items like keyboards (logitech), CDRW (samsung etc) are all older editions and more expensive.

RAMs are a killer over in JB too.

ha ha ha. I just bought mine in Sim Lim Square yesterday. Cost me only $640 for the whole setup. It consist of:

1) MSI PM8M Motherboard socket 478 for P4
2) Intel P4 2.8gigHz LGA775
3) Maxtor 160gig Hardisk 7200rpm SATA
4) Kingston 1gig DDR ram (512 x 2)
5) Casing w/ PSU

The motherboard has AGP socket for my old graphic card. If you are keen to upgrade to PCIexpress graphic card (Which is significantly faster in terms of rendering), then you need to buy a better motherboard without AGP socket

Bernard Ong said:
ha ha ha. I just bought mine in Sim Lim Square yesterday. Cost me only $640 for the whole setup. It consist of:

1) MSI PM8M Motherboard socket 478 for P4
2) Intel P4 2.8gigHz LGA775
3) Maxtor 160gig Hardisk 7200rpm SATA
4) Kingston 1gig DDR ram (512 x 2)
5) Casing w/ PSU

The motherboard has AGP socket for my old graphic card. If you are keen to upgrade to PCIexpress graphic card (Which is significantly faster in terms of rendering), then you need to buy a better motherboard without AGP socket
I bought my AMD setup earlier this year at around $800.

1) Asus A8v-Deluxe (I'm suckered to using Asus since 1995)
2) AMD 3000+ CPU
3) Western Digital 200GB HDD (PATA)
4) Adata 1GB Dual channel (512 x 2)
5) Aopen 350W PSU

Prices have dropped a lot tho'. Now thinking of another 1GB x 2 :D

Not bad, quite reasonable pricing. Remember almost 3 years ago when I bought my PC, a P4 2.6GHz machine with 17" LCD.. man think the whole setup cost me close to $3k! The monitor alone was almost $900! Geez, how prices have fallen since then!

Am probably aiming for something in the region of $700-800 for this system, cause its for my sis, who will use it mostly for wordprocessing and web surfing which doesn't require the latest kickass PC ;)

It depends, for entry level and general parts, KL is cheaper.....don't forget they do not have 5% GST....but for high end or rare stuffs.....it's a bit hard to find in KL...such as shuttle SFF PC...even nice casing and PSU like those Thermaltake or Coolermaster was highly overpriced :dunno:

I did the same calculation before when I build one PC for my brother ealier of the year....at the end I build from parts bought from Low Yat....it was a MSI 915G + P4-3GHz LCD + 512MB DDR400 + 80GB WD HDD + Samsung 713N LCD + icute casing + PSU + viewsonic kb/mouse + AL ATP3....it's about RM2700+ exc OS.....in SG similar things would cost about SG$1.3K at that time:sweat:

Gymrat76 said:
Not bad, quite reasonable pricing. Remember almost 3 years ago when I bought my PC, a P4 2.6GHz machine with 17" LCD.. man think the whole setup cost me close to $3k! The monitor alone was almost $900! Geez, how prices have fallen since then!

Am probably aiming for something in the region of $700-800 for this system, cause its for my sis, who will use it mostly for wordprocessing and web surfing which doesn't require the latest kickass PC ;)
Well, my sony crt 15" cost me $550 back in 1996, used it till last dec before I decided the karang guni deserves it. My 340MB HDD cost me approx $3xx when I got it in 1996 also.

$3K was the minimum setup cost that time, technology does move, maybe Nikon D10X would be $600 only when it's launched :D

$700-800 is easy to hit in SG with high end specs.

At this rate maybe I assemble a new PC and give my sis my old one :bsmilie:

For 800 dollars can have a very good setup liao. Costronic at Sim Lim offered me $795 for the following quotation:

1) Intel Motherboard I915PCY with DDR2 and SATA enabled (onboard PCIx)
2) Intel 2.8gigHz LGA775 CPU
3) Maxtor 160 gig 7200RPM (SATA)
4) Kingston 1gig DDR2 ram (512 x 2)
5) Casing + PSU
6) ASUS X300 PCI express graphic card (12x with 8 parallel pipes)

For a 150 dollars difference, i chose a lower set up of $640 finally. ha ha

espn said:
Well, my sony crt 15" cost me $550 back in 1996, used it till last dec before I decided the karang guni deserves it. My 340MB HDD cost me approx $3xx when I got it in 1996 also.

$3K was the minimum setup cost that time, technology does move, maybe Nikon D10X would be $600 only when it's launched :D

$700-800 is easy to hit in SG with high end specs.
My 40MB HDD cost me appr $1k in 1990s.

Gymrat76 said:
At this rate maybe I assemble a new PC and give my sis my old one :bsmilie:
I would vote for that too, but you went off topic this way, supposed to build one for your sis, not vice versa :bsmilie:

GYR :kok:

Status
Not open for further replies.