Assembling a desktop PC for photo editing

theveed

Apr 20, 2007
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi folks,

I'm not a very PC-component savvy guy (stopped assembling PCs since Win98 days) and I'd like some guidance from you guys on what specific components work well to setup a system for photo (and video, I guess) editing that's capable of running multiple Adobe apps with 3-10 RAW files (20-30mb) files open for editing.

I'm not a PC gamer as well, so no need to be too concerned with video specs.

Not really set on budget, but 2K would be a decent limit not including software, and back-up storage (have several TB external drives currently already).

Some preference:

1) Dual-monitor capable
2) Firewire port

Any assistance and specific setup recommendations will help. I've tried browsing HWZ but most specs in their sticky threads are for gamers.

An iMac is considered, but I wanna see what I can get from an assembled system that has comparable spec at lower cost (have better things to spend on, I guess).

Thanks in advance. :D

CPU - core i5 / i7 if you want to splurge

Nvidia 9 series graphics cards should be alright, most of them have dual output (1 VGA and 1 DVI)
i think they have ones also that have dual HDMI but more $$$

a motherboard capable of holding maybe about 4gb of ram should be enough

and couple it all with 2 24' screens

i dont know down to the exact model numbers but that kind of spec would be perfect for photo editing...

I don't really have much more to add from rgy1993's advice...

For processor, look at something about 2 or 3 grades down from the very latest. I think the "bang-for-your-buck" value is greatest for such a processor.
RAM should get at least 4GB.
Video card - yeah just something with the appropriate outputs (eg. dual-DVI, etc) for your requirements.

from past research i found out the essential areas to spend money on are ram, monitor with ips panel, monitor calibration kit.

ur budget is more than enough for ur needs.

i recently build one for photo editing also but only single monitor.

u might wanna build similar to mine but get discrete graphics card for the dual output

Well... with processing as the focus, would suggest an i7 at least since the architecture is a good jump from i5, helps with the multiple threads and stuff.

Ram wise, photoshop and other processing softwares are notorious resource hogs. My suggestion is a i7 with mainboard that supports triple channel RAM, then go for 3x 2GB sticks and then get a Win7 Pro with 64bit. That way 6GB is detectable since x84 systems only can see up to 3GB.

Two separate harddisks are in order as your work would be much faster if you read from one and write into the other. (One is your RAW storage, other for processing output etc).

Graphics wise, the best is still an ATI 59xx series, however that's only a must if you do rendering. You can go for the 4xxx series, it's more than enough. I believe that even an old Nvida 9800 with two ports should be enough since it's photo not CGI creation.

Graphics card wise, Ati Radeon HD 5770 is a good one though. Decent power consumption and performance is excellent. Local selling at around ~$260 iirc.
oh and it supports up to 3 displays too :)

Wonderful, thanks so much.

How about power supply? How do I determine how much (or what kind) I should buy? Do casings matter? I dropped by SLS the other day and saw quite a lot of casings (some very cheesy) and prices vary by quite a bit.

Power supply get a decent 600watt true power. I am using enermax psu. Casing wise I think air flow is impt. or else heat trap inside. brand wise I prefer sliverstone. of course there is other choices like coolermaster, lian li, etc. Hope the info help.

y no one suggest AMD?

Here's a build that you may consider / modify for...

Gigabyte P55A-UD3P USB3.0/ SATA 3 with i5-540 cpu 484
WD 1TB Caviar Green HDD 127
Kingston Valuram 6GB 200
Sapphire HD5770 Vapor-X 1GB GDDR5 279
Enermax MODU82+ Modular PSU 625W 169
Coolermaster USP100 casing 89
Samsung 24'' 2430 368
LG GH22 DVD+-RW 33
Windows 7 64-bit Home 160

Total 1909... you scrimp, downgrade a bit to get 1 more monitor.. :)

The Green line is the slowest for the WD models. For photo editing, would a blue or even black series be more appropriate?

Gigabyte P55A-UD3P USB3.0/ SATA 3 with i5-540 cpu 484
Kingston Valuram 6GB 200
Sapphire HD5770 Vapor-X 1GB GDDR5 279
Enermax MODU82+ Modular PSU 625W 169
Coolermaster USP100 casing 89
Samsung 24'' 2430 368
LG GH22 DVD+-RW 33
Windows 7 64-bit Home 160

Total 1909... you scrimp, downgrade a bit to get 1 more monitor.. :)

use a amd processor and perhaps the money saved can get another monitor?

use a amd processor and perhaps the money saved can get another monitor?
Intel's marketing is too strong :)
A lot of hype about their latest processors. AMD has been rather quiet lately, or perhaps I've not been actively searching the hardwarezone forums that discuss PC hardware.

Intel's marketing is too strong :)
A lot of hype about their latest processors. AMD has been rather quiet lately, or perhaps I've not been actively searching the hardwarezone forums that discuss PC hardware.

AMD jus release their 6 core processor, a gd run for intel's money who have came out with 6 core also

For video editing, are you working in AVCHD? If so, that will need juice.

For the processor, can consider the i7-860. That's the current sweetspot for the i7 series.
For RAM, go with 8GB.
For graphics card, the ATI 5770 or the nvidia GTX260 are more than sufficient. No need to go higher. Check which one is priced better.

That's the core of your system. This combination should be good for a quite good while.

Won't bother recommending monitor since you have that covered already.