Assault cases

Status
Not open for further replies.

reachme2003

Oct 6, 2003
i understand that our police will only act against the assailant/s if victim/s suffer serious injuries or loss of limb/s. what is the rationale behind this law? what constitutes 'serious injuries'?

a case in point. this letter was in Today yesterday. (notwithstanding that the assailant may be a mental case)

"Bashed up by adult

Letter from Zarina Jaffar

On Sept 24 at about 5.30pm, my 12-year-old son, who had just returned from the library, called to inform me that he would be at the playground behind my block in Woodlands to chat with some friends.
Barely half an hour later, I received a call informing me that my son had been beaten up. He had been punched in the nose, jumped on and kicked repeatedly by an adult male of about 30 years of age. My son's three friends had stood there frozen in shock.
My husband and I rushed to the scene to find our son lying on the floor with a bloody nose, crying.
Other adults in the area just looked the other way. When I tried to find out what had happened, they gestured as if to say, don't bother me. But I understand why they did not want to get involved.
While I would like to commend the police for their prompt response to my call, I was disappointed that they couldn't do much.
As this is a non-seizable case, the police are not empowered to arrest the man until I lodge a formal complaint to the magistrate.
My son said he had seen this man on a few occasions, sometimes talking to himself and, at other times, acting friendly. This seems to suggest that he could be mentally troubled.
If the talk among my neighbours is to be believed, my son may not be his first victim. My boy did not provoke him but was attacked out of the blue.
From my understanding, the police can take action only when there is serious injury or a loss of life and limb. My boy had a swollen nose and cuts on his head and was given outpatient treatment. This is termed as a "simple injury".
I should think that any form of assault, especially unprovoked and involving a young victim, should be covered by the Children and Young Persons Act — no matter how "simple" it is — and the police should have the right to act without a court order.
Making our own enquiries, we found out which block and probable floor on which assailant lived. But this information was of no use as the police couldn't do much.
My husband is even toying with the idea of giving the assailant as good as our son got.
It seems there is a loophole in the law that can be easily exploited. All along, we had believed that any form of assault, however minor, gave the police the power of arrest.
I am glad the man did not have a weapon with him at that time or the consequences would have been graver.
We find it a hassle to lodge a complaint with the magistrate and are willing to let the matter rest if it is proven that the assailant is, indeed, mentally ill.
However, I do hope the authorities will ensure that he seeks medical help. Otherwise, he will continue to be a menace to residents in my neighbourhood."

I have no idea about law but I find it disturbing that the author wrote:

"We find it a hassle to lodge a complaint with the magistrate "

Hassle to protect his children? not hassle to write to Today meh?

This is true, the police will not bother if there is no sign of injury, if there is signs of injuries, like in this case but is just bruises and no weapon is used, the police will not take action. Something which a friend told me is that if you get attacked and there is injury, call for an ambulance, NOT THE POLICE !! When you get to the hospital, the doctors will inform the police they have an assault case and the police have to look into it. Can someone let us know if this is true?

I have no idea about law but I find it disturbing that the author wrote:

"We find it a hassle to lodge a complaint with the magistrate "

Hassle to protect his children? not hassle to write to Today meh?

U can try... the steps are roughly like this unless u wan the cheaper alternative...

Go to lawyer, find a good 1, then pay about 1k to start the ball rolling...
Go to the police with the lawyer, lodge a complain...
Lawyer will do a search aka PI and then after everything sue the bugger... paperwork laywer do...
then go to court hearing, etc, 20k to start...
then after u get your 'justice' u will end up paying about 30+ K so the bugger can go IMH for a short holiday, while u spend another 10+ years savings or work like dog trying to pay this off... worth it?

This is true, the police will not bother if there is no sign of injury, if there is signs of injuries, like in this case but is just bruises and no weapon is used, the police will not take action. Something which a friend told me is that if you get attacked and there is injury, call for an ambulance, NOT THE POLICE !! When you get to the hospital, the doctors will inform the police they have an assault case and the police have to look into it. Can someone let us know if this is true?

keyword = Look... never say take action or anything... they can passby look, and go... :bsmilie:

U can try... the steps are roughly like this unless u wan the cheaper alternative...

Go to lawyer, find a good 1, then pay about 1k to start the ball rolling...
Go to the police with the lawyer, lodge a complain...
Lawyer will do a search aka PI and then after everything sue the bugger... paperwork laywer do...
then go to court hearing, etc, 20k to start...
then after u get your 'justice' u will end up paying about 30+ K so the bugger can go IMH for a short holiday, while u spend another 10+ years savings or work like dog trying to pay this off... worth it?

haa...so tat is what lodging a complaint with the magistrate is about ahz??

but maybe before u or anybody else come to a conclusion that the police will do nothing at all, why dun u find out first? or ask any CSers here who happen to be a policeman / woman.....dun tink it is fair to ALL police people leh.....

I have heard many stories of friends who make police reports and find out that the police are always trying to siam the work. First line of defence "its a civil case", second line of defense "lodge a magistrate's complaint", third line of defence - take very long to get back to you and say "we are still investigating".

Our police are tigers who only use their teeth when a fat deer comes along. Other than that, spend time sharpening and cleaning and keep in storage only. However, they will use the media to project the appearance that they are very efficient (see crime watch) even for minor offences (maybe they solve 1 or 2 just to play on TV, the rest bochap).

I have heard many stories of friends who make police reports and find out that the police are always trying to siam the work. First line of defence "its a civil case", second line of defense "lodge a magistrate's complaint", third line of defence - take very long to get back to you and say "we are still investigating".

Our police are tigers who only use their teeth when a fat deer comes along. Other than that, spend time sharpening and cleaning and keep in storage only. However, they will use the media to project the appearance that they are very efficient (see crime watch) even for minor offences (maybe they solve 1 or 2 just to play on TV, the rest bochap).

actually alot of policemen was jus NSF....so u can guess the mentaility of an NSF liao rite?..I nt trying to shield them but I believe nt all police is like what u say lor... if they r as inefficient or useless as u or other ppl said, we would nt be so safe walking in the street liao lor...

"simple injury"??? What a load of crap!!!

Did you know a blow to the nose if landed correctly can be fatal??? Why the hell do we even have a police force for? They couldn't do much or didn't want to do anything as if would be more paperwork for them.

Sometimes I question why the heck we even have police posts and policemen/women at all. If their excuse is that their hands are tied. Then if that's the case, if a guy gets pulled over for DWI(driving while intoxicated), the police shouldn't do anything cos there were no injuries, only when there is an accident or bodily harm and death occurs can they charge him with vehicular assault while intoxicated. I know this is not the case and probably going to get flamed for it but I am just trying to get a point across. But the reason why the police are doing it because it PREVENTS accidents and deaths. So in this case, shouldn't prevention be the key before someone really gets hurt or killed. No harm(minor injuries) no foul does not apply in this case.

"simple injury"??? What a load of crap!!!

Did you know a blow to the nose if landed correctly can be fatal??? Why the hell do we even have a police force for? They couldn't do much or didn't want to do anything as if would be more paperwork for them.

Sometimes I question why the heck we even have police posts and policemen/women at all. If their excuse is that their hands are tied. Then if that's the case, if a guy gets pulled over for DWI(driving while intoxicated), the police shouldn't do anything cos there were no injuries, only when there is an accident or bodily harm and death occurs can they charge him with vehicular assault while intoxicated. I know this is not the case and probably going to get flamed for it but I am just trying to get a point across. But the reason why the police are doing it because it PREVENTS accidents and deaths. So in this case, shouldn't prevention be the key before someone really gets hurt or killed. No harm(minor injuries) no foul does not apply in this case.

this is just another cry foul complain by civilians... maybe u might wanna check the number of cases filed per day... (thats their defense i guess)

So does that mean any guy can beat a poor person up (who don't have money to employ a lawyer to sue the other party), as long as not serious injury done, and get away with it???

Is there any way no to use a lot of money but still able to lodge complain to the other party in magistrate???

So now what? Does that mean we can beat the guy up too as long as we don't break his limbs or serious injury?

Why does the law have to wait for something more serious to happen? Do they wait for an assault to be over, check on the victim, then decide whether they want to arrest the attacker?

If the boy is some big shot MP, I will not be surprised if the whole "Ang Chia" comes down looking for the man. Remember the paper story of the old taxi driver who punched the MP? Why was he in trouble? Did the MP "file" a complain to the majistrate?

So the next time we see other people get assaulted, the best way to get justice "legally" is to assault back the person as long as we don't break his limbs... As the law say... its a "simple injury". And yes, don't call the police, as they self claim, they have no power!!!

Nope, I'm not telling you all to beat up the guy back. But to simply say, anyone can beat up anyone and the police don't have the power to do anything as long as its a simple injury. I bet this will differ if the boy happens to be the police brother or father.

And no... I'm not mentioning the MP case as a political thing... but to the police... the boy is a nobody until he breaks his limbs or even worse.... die...

So does that mean any guy can beat a poor person up (who don't have money to employ a lawyer to sue the other party), as long as not serious injury done, and get away with it???

Is there any way no to use a lot of money but still able to lodge complain to the other party in magistrate???

1) yup... i kena once... and he is in blue...
2) nope... i gave u the proper channel...

So now what? Does that mean we can beat the guy up too as long as we don't break his limbs or serious injury?

Why does the law have to wait for something more serious to happen? Do they wait for an assault to be over, check on the victim, then decide whether they want to arrest the attacker?

If the boy is some big shot MP, I will not be surprised if the whole "Ang Chia" comes down looking for the man. Remember the paper story of the old taxi driver who punched the MP? Why was he in trouble? Did the MP "file" a complain to the majistrate?

So the next time we see other people get assaulted, the best way to get justice "legally" is to assault back the person as long as we don't break his limbs... As the law say... its a "simple injury". And yes, don't call the police, as they self claim, they have no power!!!

Nope, I'm not telling you all to beat up the guy back. But to simply say, anyone can beat up anyone and the police don't have the power to do anything as long as its a simple injury. I bet this will differ if the boy happens to be the police brother or father.

And no... I'm not mentioning the MP case as a political thing... but to the police... the boy is a nobody until he breaks his limbs or even worse.... die...

sometimes u see tv drama, u see those police who happen to see ppl fight, and then another 1 run away, the police will ask the victim if he know the person & wanna lodge complain right... i wonder if real life will like that anot...

Status
Not open for further replies.