Aspiring to be a travel photographer

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gothic_Gal

Hi ppl,
I'm a JC student and am gonna take my A's this year. I'm aspiring to be a travel photographer, but am not very sure on how to go about doing that in Singapore. Where should i go after my A's?
I would very much appreciate any advices from anyone. Thank you. :D

Hmm...
Possibly these two degrees if you are really serious about it and still have a decent education to boot...

Undergrad Course - BA (Hons) Communications and Sociology

followed by...

Postgrad Course - MA in Photography and Urban Culture

Just possibilities and if you want more details, I can introduce you to Paul Halliday who is the Course Director here in London and also a freelance travel photographer on the side!

my 2 cents - i don't think there's a full-time travel photographer in our part of the world. if you plan to do travel photography, you probably need to expand your work to include other forms of commercial/paid photography, preferably related to magazines and other media.

ok, just to share some info

even when my professional friends get "travel" assignments, they usually don't pay, they trade the trip for photos, something like that.

and if you want to be a writer, photographer, or anything in those related creative field, there needs to be alot of self initiative.

for example, you need to have your portfolio of self projects, you can't wait for someone to give you the oppotunity to travel before you start doing it.

cheers

Har, don't go course can or not? ;p

seriously, Gothic_Gal, I don't think there is a "pure" travel photographer (even in other parts of the world); most would do "some other stuff"
of course, for those who are more qualified to comment, pls share, I also want to know!! I also want..... ;p

..NuTs..

SzennyBoy said:
Hmm...
Possibly these two degrees if you are really serious about it and still have a decent education to boot...

Undergrad Course - BA (Hons) Communications and Sociology

followed by...

Postgrad Course - MA in Photography and Urban Culture

Just possibilities and if you want more details, I can introduce you to Paul Halliday who is the Course Director here in London and also a freelance travel photographer on the side!

study hard, secure a good degree and then get a good job that gives u lot of $$ & free time to travel round & round & round the world ....

clizeer said:
get a good job that gives u lot of $$ & free time to travel round & round & round the world ....

Spot on, not to forget mentioning about being able to afford the $$$$$ equiptment too.

Wow! Thank you all for your response, i'll take them into considerations.
Do you people organise any 'expeditions' or backpacking of sorts, to overseas? B'cos i really want to go backpacking in Europe and be bz snapping pics away. hehe... :sweatsm:

Gothic_Gal said:
Wow! Thank you all for your response, i'll take them into considerations.
Do you people organise any 'expeditions' or backpacking of sorts, to overseas? B'cos i really want to go backpacking in Europe and be bz snapping pics away. hehe... :sweatsm:

wah let me know if you want to go, i'm keen too! probably organizing a trip upon my graduation :D

Hi there,

I had a friend who did mass communication, now she is working as a photojournalist with Discovery channel! Base in U.S of course. :bigeyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.