"ASKING FOR 2 CENTS" Canon Mark III - Purchase advise needed, Kit or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spykerdelia

Apr 22, 2012
Hi everyone!

This is my first post in this forum, please don't whack me jialat jialat although slightly is acceptable.

I wanted to buy this Camera 5D MK III,

All prices pay by CC Visa or Master with GST already in, so Nett Price!

Shop no.1: Kit with 24-105mm IS F4L USM at $5385

Shop no.2: 5D MKIII body with 24-70mm 2.8L USM at $6,530.00

Which is a better choice?

I'm not pro, actually I prioritize video over photo, but I find myself most of the time shooting in low light situation out or indoors.

Q1. FF I assume especially this 5D MK III is capable of quality video in low light, but is F4 enough and to what extend? Say candle lit or dimly lit alley walk ways.

Q2. Will the F2.8 make any big difference or worth the price hike for my case at $1145 difference?

Q3. The 24-105mm IS F4L USM have image stabilizing which I assume a plus for video, but can it handle dim light at ISO 6400 say a dark room lighted by computer monitor but still with very acceptable details?

Q4. Save the $1145 and get a prime 50mm F1.4 USM or 85mm F1.8 USM prime?

If any of you dear brethren can chime in your suggestion will be great, I will be thankful.

$6,500.00 tops my budget, please don't tell me to buy something out of this world. If I could I would RED SCARLET.

Thanks everyone, Thaaannnks!

if your main priority is VIDEO, I strongly recommend you get the 24-105L kit. 24-70L is brighter but it comes with a huge disadvantage in video capture: heavy and no IS.

Moreover 24-70L is already and EOL item... version II already been announced and will be available this year.

IS will be very helpful when doing video.

Hello Barbarella, you president of SPGist still need ask for advice meh? :p

Personally I think the IS plays a pretty big part for video and gives you around 3 stops advantage.

I won't go for the 24-70 set because there is a version 2 coming out.

I don't do video at all so really am not the best person to give advice on whether details can be captured based on your requirements. But between a bigger aperture and IS, I choose IS.

Also don't forget that the 24-70 is heavy!

I really am surprised by the speed of your helpful responses, guess 3 replies is really enough to outweigh my decision and dilemma. Should have done this earlier and save me time to search for pros and cons. Yet, I don't get the answers that I'm looking for as the model is quite new, not that many use it for video and video uploads on youtube are scarce given the night lowly lighted video footage with the specific lenses.

Thank you once again for your responses....

Haha putting aside which lens is better... Shop 2 is also over-priced by quite a margin!

The price difference between 24-105L and 24-70L is definitely lesser than $1200! :bsmilie:

Hi everyone!

This is my first post in this forum, please don't whack me jialat jialat although slightly is acceptable.

I wanted to buy this Camera 5D MK III,

All prices pay by CC Visa or Master with GST already in, so Nett Price!

Shop no.1: Kit with 24-105mm IS F4L USM at $5385

Shop no.2: 5D MKIII body with 24-70mm 2.8L USM at $6,530.00

Which is a better choice?

I'm not pro, actually I prioritize video over photo, but I find myself most of the time shooting in low light situation out or indoors.

Q1. FF I assume especially this 5D MK III is capable of quality video in low light, but is F4 enough and to what extend? Say candle lit or dimly lit alley walk ways.

Q2. Will the F2.8 make any big difference or worth the price hike for my case at $1145 difference?

Q3. The 24-105mm IS F4L USM have image stabilizing which I assume a plus for video, but can it handle dim light at ISO 6400 say a dark room lighted by computer monitor but still with very acceptable details?

Q4. Save the $1145 and get a prime 50mm F1.4 USM or 85mm F1.8 USM prime?

If any of you dear brethren can chime in your suggestion will be great, I will be thankful.

$6,500.00 tops my budget, please don't tell me to buy something out of this world. If I could I would RED SCARLET.

Thanks everyone, Thaaannnks!
The 24-70 version 2 will be out soon. If i were you. I will wait.
For video..IS can be very handy (especially in low light handheld)..And yea this lens is so much lighter compared to the 24-70. (No IS also).
Low light? should'nt much worry since the 5D3 has very good high ISO performance (You can just pump ISO). (At least for photos..not sure about video..)
Yup..the balance 1000+ you can consider getting a large aperture wide prime lens. Not a bad idea i will say.

Yep, option 2 is quite overpriced.

Thread title edited, please use appropriate title in the future, thanks.

Haha putting aside which lens is better... Shop 2 is also over-priced by quite a margin!

The price difference between 24-105L and 24-70L is definitely lesser than $1200! :bsmilie:

The 24-105L as a standalone lens costs alot more than when it is packaged as a kit lens. Some shops will break the kit apart and sell it for about 1K which is a really good deal.

The 24-70L on the other hand is not sold as a kit lens for the 5D Mark 3, therefore it does not come at a discount and is sold priced as a standalone lens.

Sorry if title isn't appropriate, I really didn't know it's offensive or violated forum rules.

I'm never used to reading fine prints. Please do edit as necessary.

My sincere apologies!

Yes, I agree with. The only difference is only if I'm going to get the kit with 24-105 f4 and 24-70 f2.8 to compliment with then i wouldn't have this dilemma. But I would have to rob a bank.

If I go with the faster lens then it's not a kit anymore, as the lens is a stand alone product. I will have to buy them separately which will be much more expansive. Even if I get the kit and sell the f4 lens at say 1200 if I'm lucky, it will still be square 1 or close.

Anyways, I'm convinced by the helpful people here that going with the kit is a better choice. I'm all set..

This forum is magical, thanks very much!

Hi every one, thanks for your wonderful advises, if any of you read the papers about robbery don't say that you've read it somewhere.

I have bought the 5D Mark III kit with the 24-105mmL F4 IS USM. Very pleased with the lens and camera.

I will close this thread as objective have been met.

Thanks everybody, Thaaaannnnks!

Status
Not open for further replies.