Asking about external flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

phanthao

Nov 22, 2009
Hi, I'm newbie in photography and want to advance my skill so I am thinking of buying an external flash for home set up studio :) I use Nikon D40x and Tamron 50mm, so I googled and saw that mostly they recommend SB 800 or SB 900, but it's a little bit expensive for newbie and student :( So I just want to ask beside those is there any more affordable price external flash that I should try first before getting a good one?
Thanks!

For more affordable flash on Nikon D40x camera, do extend your search to include:
-- 2nd hand market at Buy and Sell of Clubsnap forum
-- Nikon SB600 flash
-- Nissin Di866, a recent 3rd party flash compatible with Nikon flash system

if i were u, i get a 2nd hand SB600, but provided it is cheap.

I suggest you to go for di622 :D Very cheap and you can learn with the different bounce style before going for the high end

thank you :) Di622 has manual setting? and how abt the wireless trigger? If the price of SB600 and Nissin Di622 are same, I think I would prefer to get an SB600.

Anyway, anything to note when purchase a 2nd flash?

Thanks!

Last edited:
thank you :) Di622 has manual setting? and how abt the wireless trigger? If the price of SB600 and Nissin Di622 are same, I think I would prefer to get an SB600.

Thanks!

You are using d40x, so even with sb600, there is no wireless functionality to speak of.
Di622 (NEW) is a fair bit cheaper than SB600 (USED).

regarding 2nd hand flash... it's a bit of a gamble. Test fire by pressing the button, then mount on camera and take a few photos, tweaking the flash EV on your camera. See if the flash power really does change. Other than that, it's a gamble.

Last edited:

Thanks!

for these two flashes,

If you thinking only going get one and only one flash, then go for di622

If you going to use two flashes together, like master and slave, OR, if you are thinking in the near future to upgraded another flash, then go for SB600. Because SB600 can be used as a master flash alone, simple. However, If you get another SB800, then SB600 get be slave flash for SB800. both can be wireless trigged with iTTL. {I am not sure D40 have this wireless trigged function, you need to check out.}

If your primary objective is setting up a home studio, your best bet is an affordable (beginner's) studio lighting kit. Check out the sets from jinbei. They work out to be much more capable and versatile and cheaper than hammering a strobist set-up from scratch, unless you get a lot of used equipment.

The main advantage of going strobist style with hot-shoe flash unit is size, weight and portability, but usually at a high price.

I recommend Yang Nuo speedlight 460 manual Flash.
it cost $90 a piece, manual flash and very useful.
can be triggered by cams flash wirelessly via optical slave..
i'm using 3 of it for my home studio purposes..

cheers
sgy

I recommend Yang Nuo speedlight 460 manual Flash.
it cost $90 a piece, manual flash and very useful.
can be triggered by cams flash wirelessly via optical slave..
i'm using 3 of it for my home studio purposes..

cheers
sgy

:thumbsup: just bought this one today... very good value for money, especially for starters in flash photography (like me). tested it, and am quite happy with the results, planning to get another 1.:)

Get a SB-600. Best value for money as it offers the most for you in terms of features and functionability. :)

3rd party flashes may not be able to give you the correct match in terms of colour correction and the exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.