Ask what you can do for your country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yappy

May 30, 2004
Agree with statement?

Being a walking ATM still not enough??

No.. you should be a policy thinker and critics.. which both can be channeled through KPT in CS :bsmilie:

I am sure many here also donated youth, time, blood and sweats.... during NS...... :bheart:

Now...... it is becoming a very common question.... NS... who or what are we protecting???

Citizen first or "country" first ?
What can my country do for me?

As a citizen, I am responsibility to contribute to this nation, which I did in most areas. Since I am not leading, we employed the best people to lead and we paid top $$ as I was told.

So, like all stakeholders, when things did not work out as promised, I question and demand answers. We were told to treat this like any MNC board meetings. So, I wonder would the CEO asks the directors of the board or their shareholders what they can do for him?

Bukitimah said:
As a citizen, I am responsibility to contribute to this nation, which I did in most areas. Since I am not leading, we employed the best people to lead and we paid top $$ as I was told.

So, like all stakeholders, when things did not work out as promised, I question and demand answers. We were told to treat this like any MNC board meetings. So, I wonder would the CEO asks the directors of the board or their shareholders what they can do for him?

Think of this company more like UOB. I am also a shareholder of that bank. When the MAS have some guidelines about transparency (iirc) Mr Wee said "This is my company. Who I appoint as successor is entirely my own business." (Or something to this effect)

I am sure many here also donated youth, time, blood and sweats.... during NS...... :bheart:

Now...... it is becoming a very common question.... NS... who or what are we protecting???

Your own family and friends for one... :think:

The foreign investments made by citizens of neighboring and distant countries.

gxwpkka.jpg

For someone who I recall has expressed unhappiness on mainstream media performance, you are really lax when relying on deliberately selective printscreens... Tsk tsk.

Don’t believe everything you see » pseudoplace.com

We defend Singapore and Singaporeans, because we are the stakeholders of our country – and our families, our homes and our futures are here. No foreigner can feel the same way. We may help to ensure the safety of foreigners who are here in time of conflict, but we are not defending their families or their futures. We are defending ours. And that will never change.

Well I never bought into the idea of country etc. Patriotism is something dangerous you see... Look at Nazi Germany and you will understand.

Think and be critical. That's more important. Blind loyalty will only get you so far.

For someone who I recall has expressed unhappiness on mainstream media performance, you are really lax when relying on deliberately selective printscreens... Tsk tsk.

Don’t believe everything you see » pseudoplace.com
Answering the question "Ask what you can do for your country?" with "We may help to ensure the safety of foreigners who are here in time of conflict." mah. What's wrong with that?

Anyway, Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean got nothing to worry about lah. In times of conflict, all the foreigners and Singaporean Elites long jah-buut loh...

Well I never bought into the idea of country etc. Patriotism is something dangerous you see... Look at Nazi Germany and you will understand.

Think and be critical. That's more important. Blind loyalty will only get you so far.

I think you can think and still try to do something for your country. The quote isn't about blind loyalty, really.

The fuller quote from JFK (inaugaral speech) is actually: Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.

My takeaway from the quote is that it is an imploration for people to think beyond themselves and dedicate their lives to a greater good. The concept is loosely linked to the article I posted here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/kopitiam/1223181-pursuit-happiness.html

I've said this many times and I'll say it again. If you really feel that Singapore is your home, and that you have some vested interest in it - do something today. It need not be big. It can be small. Think that the government isn't doing enough to reach to the less well-off? Make the effort, walk the talk, start an effort to help. Change doesn't always come about through some overnight revolution oft imagined that is the result of watching too many dramatic movies (e.g. Les Miserables). It can, and in many cases, starts small, through individual or small group efforts, before it grows and grows positively into something more beautiful and substantial.

Echoing the multitudes of criticism doesn't do much. Arguing on the Internet serves no one except perhaps yourself. You can do that to blow off steam, to express a POV. But do more. Otherwise it's just a load of hot air achieving nothing but a sense of having done something and effectively deceiving one's self.

Happy New Year to you, btw. :)

Answering the question "Ask what you can do for your country?" with "We may help to ensure the safety of foreigners who are here in time of conflict." mah. What's wrong with that?

Anyway, Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean got nothing to worry about lah. In times of conflict, all the foreigners and Singaporean Elites long jah-buut loh...

alot will leave when their goals are fulfilled.. my pinoy colleague plans to work 5 years and go back be queen.. dun play play..

my china fren told me, pay them $800 and they will come to sg to work... can you imagine a singaporean earning $800? What future does he sees? can he afford a hdb? a wife? family?

Well I never bought into the idea of country etc.

Don't worry, at a TFR of 1.2 and dropping fast, we won't have a country in 1-2 generation. It's either that or hand over the place to a new group of people or surrender to Malaysia or Indonesia.

. If you really feel that Singapore is your home, and that you have some vested interest in it - do something today. It need not be big. It can be small. Think that the government isn't doing enough to reach to the less well-off? Make the effort, walk the talk, start an effort to help........ Happy New Year to you, btw. :)

Well said edutilos, and I fully agree as individual, we should contribute. I am sure many who have participated in this forum have done exactly that although they say some 'negative' comments about our existing policies.

I have also said before, the current and only ruling party to date has done a great job. While as individual, I will of course continue to do my part, I am also very concerned to see things going off course. (At least that is my personal opinion). Whether the leader takes the queue of not, people will still have their say. Ultimately, if we don't care, we would not have even give our comments.

For example gun ownership another country. When we read about it, do we want to tell them what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.