[ask] Dry box tips

justmargie

Mar 2, 2010
Singapore
Hi,

Just want to ask, is it okay to use the normal portable dry box (the one that you get for free when you buy DSLR) with some packs of silica gel dessicant inside? I'm still saving for the electrical dry box.

Which one is better: using silica gel or using Thirsty Hippo? Because at the end Thirsty Hippo will hold water and make the the condition inside the box even more humid?

Pls advise.

Thank you.

Hi,

Just want to ask, is it okay to use the normal portable dry box (the one that you get for free when you buy DSLR) with some packs of silica gel dessicant inside? I'm still saving for the electrical dry box.

Which one is better: using silica gel or using Thirsty Hippo? Because at the end Thirsty Hippo will hold water and make the the condition inside the box even more humid?

Pls advise.

Thank you.

Thirsty Hippo won't make it more humid as long as your Calcium Chloride is not totally used up...Silica gel has lower absorption capacity but cleaner, Calcium Chloride has higher capacity but messy. Electrical one more ex and has to wait:bsmilie:

I have been using the dry box for almost a year, no issue so far. I am using the NTUC fairprice dehumidifier (3 dollars/ 3 boxes). I usually tore 1/2 of the aluminum cover, and the humidity stayed at 45%. Each box lasted about 1.5 month. Not bad for the price.

Thank you for the replies. Will stick to dry box for the moment then.