Asian Young Fashion Designers Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheels

Nov 17, 2002
LONG KAO
photo.rogerdeng.com
My 2nd try at taking events like this. Was armed with a bounce flash and was trying all sorts of bounce but in the end realised that there is nothing for me to bounce off. :D

Any pro here can advice on how to diffuse flash light on the subject so as not to create deep shadows in the back.

Here are some of the shots .....

Mar 3, 2004
Simple....use less flash just for fill-in. I will never use more than -1.3EV for fill-in. Or don't use flash, then it will boil down to your technique of spotting which area is good (lighting + model pose...even if she is catwalking) to take coz you will be relying totally on ambient. Another option which costs money is to get a flash bracket so that your flash is above the lens/body and that is going to throw the shadows down (though not completely eliminated). Or you can shoot in landscape, crop later (you will get less available resolution though).

Don't be afraid of ISO 1600 if you are not printing big. A small dash of Noise Ninja/Neat Image helps too.

Witness

Mar 18, 2004
www.maverickatwork.com
eh...d70 wif brandless flash....ya brandless flash quite strong....tried using a bounce card, omnibounce etc???

Mar 3, 2004
Witness said:
eh...d70 wif brandless flash....ya brandless flash quite strong....tried using a bounce card, omnibounce etc???
Cannot lar...waste power only. If you wanna get the soft effect, at that kind of distance, i think A3 size also not enough. ;p

wheels

Nov 17, 2002
LONG KAO
photo.rogerdeng.com
2100 said:
Simple....use less flash just for fill-in. I will never use more than -1.3EV for fill-in. Or don't use flash, then it will boil down to your technique of spotting which area is good (lighting + model pose...even if she is catwalking) to take coz you will be relying totally on ambient. Another option which costs money is to get a flash bracket so that your flash is above the lens/body and that is going to throw the shadows down (though not completely eliminated). Or you can shoot in landscape, crop later (you will get less available resolution though).

Don't be afraid of ISO 1600 if you are not printing big. A small dash of Noise Ninja/Neat Image helps too.
Thanks for the advice and suggestions. Will try and keep in mind as I am mastering flash photography.

I tried the ISO1600 already but don't like the effect.

Thanks again. :)

wheels

Nov 17, 2002
LONG KAO
photo.rogerdeng.com
Witness said:

What is a bounce card? :)
I had a diffuser on the flash already and with it on, it is already lacking in power. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.