Asian Geographic Photo Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
9. If the Photograph includes other people, you must be prepared to provide a signed written personal release from all persons who appear in the Photograph submitted, authorising use of the Photograph as provided below in "Third Party Releases/Licenses." .......

This is called "model release". In some countries, I believe including Singapore, a publisher can get sued for publishing a photo of a person without the person's consent. That's why need this.

From what I understand, this law does not normally apply to photo contests. But in this case, Asia Georgraphic is a magazine and it intends to publish the winning pixs, so they probably still need this.

Of course the law will not be so strict such that, eg, if you take a pix of 100 people, you need 100 model release signatures. But if you take one or a small group of people, you may be liable.

Also if it is back view, or from a distance such that the person cannot be easily recognised, again you won't need model release.

And I believe some other countries less strict. eg so long as photo does not portray the person in a bad / negative light it is ok.

But to be kiasu, best to submit only pictures of monkeys.

Anyway this is my understanding. Perhaps some lawyer can help to clarify further.

Thanks Richard. I understand the need of model release, but dont really understand the different between 9 and 10 :( anyway it's hard to get someone on the street sign model release in singapore unless doing model shoot. :(

Thanks Richard. I understand the need of model release, but dont really understand the different between 9 and 10 :( anyway it's hard to get someone on the street sign model release in singapore unless doing model shoot. :(

I think #9 says must be prepared to provide model release, #10 says model release should pow kau liau -- ie cover everything. The way I see it, the two could have been combined into one condition.

stock photography websites also require a model release before posting the picture. As long as you are using portraits for commercial purposes, a model release is needed. But of course, if the person in the picture cannot be obviously distinguishable (eg. a person's back facing the camera), then a model release is not needed.

Just prepare a model release la.. play safe..

wow, their 5D is worth $5k, why is it so much compared to the prices in the shop? Special edition? :D

Anyone noticed this requirement?

Entries must be saved in RGB jpeg format at a size of 14” (about 35cm) in the longest dimension (regardless of whether it is a portrait or landscape image) with at least 300dpi in resolution.

That's 4200 pixels on the long side, and using the usual 3:2 aspect ratio, that's 11.8 megapixels! I'm a poor guy with only 6 megapix on my DSLR, my pics only have 3000 pixels on the long side....

And if I re-render my pics and interpolate the pixels to give it higher resoluation, I get disqualified under this rule:

Photoshop manipulation is limited to:
Cropping, but only 10% of the original image. (Contestants will be bound by the honour system.) Submissions which have obviously been heavily cropped will be disqualified.

Looks like only people with the newest cameras can qualify, even the chaps with 10megapix bodies will need to tweak their pics before they can be submitted....:dunno:

I'm writing to AsiaGeo to ask them for clarification on this, will update if they give me a reply....

has asian geographic gotten back to you on this? anyway, i don't quite understand. surely they mean ppi (pixels) instead of dpi (dots)? ppi is a measurement of an image's resolution; dpi is a property of a printer and printer driver software. you can have, say, 100 ppi and 1000 dpi, meaning that 10 dots of ink goes into one pixel.

Status
Not open for further replies.