Asian Dive Site

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ceramic

Just want to introduce a new website for scuba diving enthusiasts. Its done locally and they have a forum where you can exchange information on the various awesome divesites in Asia. Please go take a look.

Asian Dive Site

Great to hear that. You can share your diving experience on the forum when you come back from your trip. If you are a regular diver, you can also recommend your favourite dive sites.

Originally posted by serendipity
Good. Myself and some friends are planning to go diving liao. :p

I don't want to be a wet blanket but please do watch your dive profiles.. :) Other than that.. Enjoy yourselves!:D

Hi all. I am not the type of hardcore divers. Only one or two trips a year, for the pass 4 years. Only went to Aur/Dayang 3 times, Tioman 1 time and Green Island on Australia Great Barrier Reefs once. So not much experience. But the most unforgetable ones are:

1) seeing a big group of baracudas at Dayang.

2) seeing the same reef sharks 3 times when snorkelling on Green Island of Australia.

3) Left big toe kanna hit by an oxygen tank at Dayang. Then dived 100 feet with one fin. With the help of the dive master who stepped on my injured toe on the crowded dive boat. He felt so guilt, therefore agreed to be my buddy for that dive.

4) Got separated from 3 people (including dive master) of a group of 5 at the first checkout dive near a small island off Tioman, then the remaining 2 (included me) kanna chased by 2 triggerfishs at 27 m depth.

Actually planned for Sipadan this year, but friends think it is not too safe, and also Manado quite cheap now, so change plan to Manado. If this don't work out, then maybe go Perhentian or Dayang again. :) Cheaper though.

And when we go diving, usually quite relax, not the "chong" type, when not feeling well, we will stop. But accident do happen. :) So my lesson learned is either be the first to gear up and wait in the water or be the last one to gear up and let others wait for you. Don't stuck in-between, especially on a crowded dive boat, accidents do happen, especially on a choppy sea. :)

Hope to try wall, rig and wrack diving next time, if got chance. :)

That's all.

Hi serendipity,

You might want to post your last post on the website at Asian Dive Site too. Just a suggestion. :)

Its okay to have only a bit to share. I believe that many small bits will accumulate to make a big share. ;)

hey folks ..

thanx for sharing .. i will be going for my lst water dive too in late mar .. :rbounce:

will be going tioman .. a qn tho .. is the water there choppy ?? heard that water at aur/dayang is more choppy .. not recommended for beginners tt's y i follow my fren to tioman instead ..

any interesting sights to watch out for such as dolphins, SHARKS ??

btw .. i'm not a good swimmer .. in fact i ve deep water phobia .. :cry: but will try to overcome it in the one mth to come .. hope it wun be a stumbling block to my diving trip ;p

Hi Coozie.

Tioman's water choppy or not depends on which site you go for around Tioman. There is a site which is around a small island, about 45 mins travelling time, off Tioman, the water there can be quite choppy, and also deep. almost 100 feet. That is where i lost my group and kanna chased by trigger fish. But i don't know if the condition vary with time, only being there once.

As for Aur/Dayang. Also depends. Alot of beginners go there too. I was there the first time.

Personally i prefer Aur/Dayang then Tioman. Interms of water clarity, site travelling distance. It is always go to have sites just around the corner from where you sleep. Then you don't have to do things early, don't have to rush and have more rest time on shore than on boat. And during dive interval, can play cards, take photos, play volleyballs or just simply eat, sleep and shit. :)

You will have higher chances to see small sharks than dolphins. :) But do check with your friend how does a trigger fish look like, as the are alot of those around, and some are not friendly and do attack. Once saw one from the back of it's tail, the body thickness is about 15cm. Next thing i knew was that immediately fin towards the other direction. :)

Do be careful if you think you have water phobia and not a good swimmer, always stay close to a skillful and trustworthy buddy, some buddy just forget everything about you when start sinking. Don't force yourself beyond your limit. Remember, diving will be very dangerous if the diver overlook own limit.

OK hope you have a wonderful first dive, which makes you go for more later. :)

Do share you trip experience and photos later. :)

hey serendipity ..

THANX for all the tips !! :D

just surfed the web and saw some pics on trigger fish .. real BIG sia .. so that's how a trigger fish look like ..

saw one in redang a few yrs back when i went snorkelling but that was a friendly chap .. heheh ..

guess i ve to dig more info from my fren abt the diving site, travelling time and weather cum water conditions then .. travelling time is indeed impt cos i dread waking up early .. i'm a nite owl at heart .. :p

yah .. wun push beyond my limit .. it has been my resolution for yrs .. so if i dun do it by tis yr .. i noe i will NEVER do it .. wish me luck pal .. :)

watch out tis space ok .. will post my exp and pics after my trip .. heheheh ..

btw .. which dive site r u going ?? enjoy ur trip too ya ?? ;)

Hi Coozie.

Haven't fixed a site yet. First choice is Manado, the Perhentian, then Aur/Dayang. Have to consider cost, time and no.of people joining. :)

Have you got any gears yet? Maybe after this trip, then if you are keen to continue, then can start buying simple, personally gears like fins, booty, weight belt, mask, snorkel, gloves, torchlight. As after a few trips of renting this gears, you will find that the rental cost is enough to get a personal set liao. :) The rest, like BC and octopus and dive computer can rent, cos very expensive to buy. Wetsuit have to depend on you. I don't wear suit, just wear a trunk plus T-shirt plus shorts or bermudas. Unless in cold water region. Tropical like Malaysia, can do without. Unless you want more protection from sharp corals. In tropical region, early night dives (means dive immediately after sunset), the water is sometime warmer than in the day. :) My dive watch can record temperature, therefore i know. :) Torch is useful even in the day, as sometime you will like to look for organism under big rocks which is in shadow. Also sea water filter out some light. So sometime to see the true color, you need to bring some light with you even during the day. Advice from a friend. :)

wow .. v informative .. *impressed* ..

u can open dive shop liao leh .. ;)

ever tot of going into underwater photography ?? combine both ur interests into 1 ?? :D

will oni start to invest in the diving gears after i try out lst .. sekali my phobia intensified how ?? heheheh ..

btw .. any recommendation of dive shops with reasonably-priced gears ?? maybe i can go and look c look c lst .. :p

Hi Coozie. Can go to this website

www.divemastersonline.com

You can find the dive shop address there. They seems to be the distributer of some brand. As the shop is located in a industrial building near Tiong Bahru. Instead of some fancy shop downtown. I got most of my gear from them. FYI, my gear all ae cheap stuff. Can dive can already. :)

Another one is Friendly Waters, they always have sales. :) But don't know how cheap. Never buy from them before.

Some shops in Far East Plaza or Shopping Centre also quite reasonable. Can check check.

But don't ask me which brand is good. For me cheap don't break after a few uses can already. :) Remember i am not hardcore diver type. :)

All mentioned ideas are from personal thoughts, as a newcomer to diving or from some friends' advice. Not scientific prove. So don't quote me OK. :)

hahahah .. THANX !! :D

u sure u not hardcore ??

u r gd enuff to advance to GURU level liao ahhh ..

will use ur tips and info to impress my amateur diving frens .. hahahha .. ;)

jio u to diving after my trip ok ?? we use cheap cheap stuff together .. me on budget too .. ehhehe .. we can form a cheapo divers' club .. ;p

Hi Coozie. Like your idea, cheapo diver's club. :)

Same applies to photography. Cheapo gear also can take reasonable pictures. Cheapo gear also can dive. :) You don't need jetfin to fin faster, you need a strong pair of legs. :) Ha Ha Ha!!!

As for underwater photography? I think i am not up to it yet, both interms of photography skill and bounancy control. :) So will be just wasting money to invest now.

I am Guru of nothing. Still learning like everyone else.

One question, are you short-sighted?

yah .. short sighted since pri sch ahhh ..

y ?? it matters ?? :dunno:

oh yah .. forgot that the diving mask will not come with degrees rite ?? :confused:

Hi Coozie. Me too.

So i think there is 3 solutions for you to choose:

1) If you do wear contact lens, then good news, you can dive with the contact lens on and use a normal mask. But remember to close your eyes when doing mask clearing. And also don't rub your eyes when get out of the water.

2) If you don't wear contact lens on normal days, but you still interested to wear contact lens for the dives, which might make more sense now as you don't have your personal prescripted mask. It is still possible, go and get those monthly or daily disposable contact lens. But must wear a few days in advance to get use to it. Personally i don't wear contact lens. But i find that my eyes (when wearing contact lens) feel better with the mask on under water than without the mask above water. But if you have astimisim (did i spell correctly) of more than 100 degree (like myself), then the monthly disposable contact lens will be higher in cost. I got a reasonable shop at Chinatown Point, got one pair for S$30, plus the container and lotion. I always go there every dive trip until the shop keeper can recognise me liao :). If your astimism is not that high, then your monthly disposable lens should be between $12-$15. Cheaper. Oh ya, the astimism lens need to order i think 1 wk in advance. Don't go to Queensway shopping centre, all the shops there charge more than S$30.

3) Buy a mask that can change the lens to prescripe lens. But not applicable if your astimism is more than 100 degree (like myself). As the prescripe lens are meant for non-asti user. And a whole set of mask like that will cost you close to or above S$100. Don't have one myself.

So take your pick. :)

Originally posted by serendipity
So my lesson learned is either be the first to gear up and wait in the water or be the last one to gear up and let others wait for you. Don't stuck in-between, especially on a crowded dive boat, accidents do happen, especially on a choppy sea. :)

Hmm.. didn't quite understand that.... there must be some hidden logic behind though.

Just one question, what do you guys normally do if you feel unwell after a dive trip. I mean what YOU REALLY do... not what you should do by book.

Status
Not open for further replies.