as creative just digs deeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

dslang

Jul 14, 2005
into a hole

www.engadget.com
"
The love fest between Creative and Apple continues, but this time it's pretty serious. Creative is pulling out those media player interface patents they filed in August of last year, and suing Apple for patent infringement with their iPod, iPod nano and iPod mini players. It doesn't seem to matter much to Creative that two of those players were released long before the patent in question, and the iPod nano came out a mere month later. There's also no mention of a seemingly more legitimate argument: Apple's possible trademark infringement in the use of the "nano" name. Creative claims that their NOMAD Jukebox was on display at CES in January 2000, and there displayed the user interface that has since been copied by Apple and others. This user interface is covered in August's "Zen Patent," and sounds vaguely defined enough to have some weight in court, as silly as it seems. Creative of course wants a cease and desist order to be issued, and basically a complete death of the iPod unit in general, but that's no surprise. All we can do now is sit back and watch the sparks fly.
"

9412964752128387.JPG

Full link- http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/05-15-2006/0004362016&EDATE=

bo bian.. if the injunction is passed. Apply cannot sell their iPod in US which means that they can only choose from Creative.. Innovative.. but.. :bsmilie:

When I read the news this morning, I fell off my chair..... its like Steyr coming to Spore and saying we cannot sell the SAR21 to SAF becoz the design looks similar.....:bsmilie:

Createef should go beck to being creative and start making good products at competitive prices.

Sigh....
http://www.zdnetasia.com/insight/business/0,39044868,39358535-2,00.htm
"Creative Technology is a perennial shadow, unshakable and, many feel, still a step behind Apple. Its founder and chief executive Sim Wong Hoo has had to borrow ideas from its better known rival, such as putting his signature onto the Zen player after Apple had a limited edition version with rock band U2's endorsement. "

I wonder what thought process managed to equate U2's endorsement to his own endorsement. Its like getting a Bill Gates signature on a XP installation disc.....;p

tao said:
but do you think that will happen? no chance at all.

and to begin with, creative didn't invent the mp3 player.... neither did apple.

so, can car maker A sue car maker B, saying that car maker B uses round wheels in their cars?

you missed the point. it's the innovation for organizing and navigating the contents in a mass storage.
you can be sure ipod took cues from creative when they make their ipods. valid point.
but not much effect, since apple can just modify their menu design. actually the simple mass storage-directory method used by sony is better!

for your car comparison effect, it's like porsche suing the rest for copying it's innovative tiptronic override gear shifting. it's a valid point, except that porsche's patent already expired and by today's standards, already not innovative. porsche had it protected for more than a decade already.

anyway, this could really backfire for creative if the American consumers start boycotting their products as a protest...just a thought...

Well, I come back... and see this news...

What can I say but extreme stupidity reeks in this very saga? :dunno: Yes, Creative may juz want their 'lost business' back and become world no. 1 for MP3 players and would stop at just about nothing to get that spot. Unfortunately, in the course of doing so Creative (and Mr Sim) did not realise that...

1) Economics aside, they had also declared war on Macintosh and Apple lovers in the world.
2) They are simply giving Singapore MNCs AND Singaporeans a bad name by resorting to such extreme desperate measures.
3) They are declaring war on a lifestyle, not a product.

It simply means straight, desperate measures isn't going to get my support for Creative even if they can get the courts all over the world (including our 'little dot') to ban the sales and use of iPod outright.

Quick!! Go buy your iPods now before they take it off the shelves!! The value may be higher after that.:bsmilie:

jsbn said:
Well, I come back... and see this news...

What can I say but extreme stupidity reeks in this very saga? :dunno: Yes, Creative may juz want their 'lost business' back and become world no. 1 for MP3 players and would stop at just about nothing to get that spot. Unfortunately, in the course of doing so Creative (and Mr Sim) did not realise that...

1) Economics aside, they had also declared war on Macintosh and Apple lovers in the world.
2) They are simply giving Singapore MNCs AND Singaporeans a bad name by resorting to such extreme desperate measures.
3) They are declaring war on a lifestyle, not a product.

It simply means straight, desperate measures isn't going to get my support for Creative even if they can get the courts all over the world (including our 'little dot') to ban the sales and use of iPod outright.

Cool it guys,
these types of lawsuits are a dime a dozen, simply a business tactic. Do you honestly believe iPODs are going off the shelves?

Although this seems headline grabbing, it is pretty routine for this types of lawsuits to occur between technology firms. Apple themselves, a long time ago, tried to stop Windows from using desktop icons, of all things! Sometimes they have real merit, more often they have questionable merit, and in almost all cases they are meant to distract the opponent, create uncertainty amongst their customers/investors, and if they are lucky enough, they may even win!

So chill, Creative is merely playing the game that a lot of tech companies play.

if they managed to take ipod off us shelf. People will buy online and mail back to USA. You cant stop a good product from being sold and push an inferior product. The boycott thing, is also very real.

why u all say creative products are bad? have u all even used 1 before?
apple is just a flower vase with no real substance inside. creative easily win apple with their substance over form. fans will die off? i dun think so, they have 1 loyal fan here with nearly the whole pc built of creative products and with a number of their music players and sound cards.

On the logical side, u all think creative is cheap to sue apple? Go and take out ur newspapers, newsweek and times magazine, and go figure out how many companies are sueing each other over things that u all termed "stupid" n "mediocre". Companies like sony and microsoft and just some of the bigger names.

Sueing is not just a matter of filing lawsuits. In this new economy, law serves as a means for companies to gain a competitive advantage over the rest. This is the norm of the buiz industry. I would call them "clever", using things they have created "the file organization patent", to gain an advantage over the competitors.

And to those who think that "the file organization patent" is stupid, go and read back the newspaper and magazines, or go and ask the research firms, what kind of patents they have filed, and u can have my assurance that u will laugh off the chair.

dkw said:
Cool it guys,
these types of lawsuits are a dime a dozen, simply a business tactic. Do you honestly believe iPODs are going off the shelves?
I dun really think so. But it seems to me that Creative and Mr Sim would stop at nothing, absolutely nothing, short of filing the craziest patents and sending in industrial spies to pre-empt any move by Apple and Steve Jobs.

Lawsuits by technological firms may be common and we see technological firms taking gibes against one another at times but openly and officially 'declaring war' against another is pretty 'creative' in its own right.

Paul_Yeo said:
how long will this lawsuit drags?
As long as Mr Sim has the money to throw in.

But my reckoning's that, he's throwing money into a black hole. ;p

jsbn said:
I dun really think so. But it seems to me that Creative and Mr Sim would stop at nothing, absolutely nothing, short of filing the craziest patents and sending in industrial spies to pre-empt any move by Apple and Steve Jobs.

Lawsuits by technological firms may be common and we see technological firms taking gibes against one another at times but openly and officially 'declaring war' against another is pretty 'creative' in its own right.

And you know this based on.........?

Creative got a patent on organising mp3s in a hierachical manner?? Thats like a patent on organising paper into files and folders.. I think I'm going to patent that that go around everywhere and claim I invented filing and order everyone who files their paperwork to pay me royalties.

kcuf2 said:
why u all say creative products are bad? have u all even used 1 before?
apple is just a flower vase with no real substance inside. creative easily win apple with their substance over form. fans will die off? i dun think so, they have 1 loyal fan here with nearly the whole pc built of creative products and with a number of their music players and sound cards.

yah.. 2 sound card related back in the early 90s era and 3 non-sound card consumer product, and all 3 consumer failed or didn't perform up to standard. 1 of the 2 sound card also failed.

Items concerned:
- Modem Blaster: Sound card and modem cannot be used con-currently though it's supposed to be a modem + soundcard in one. This happened so long ago I don't exactly know which failed but I remember buying another modem or sound card again. So that I can have sound and modem together.

- CD-MP3 player: Player buttons and LCD on cover failed to respond after few months of purchase.
- Laptop mouse (2 pieces). Button no longer clicks within 6 months. happened to both pieces and both were used by dfiferent person. Both non-gamers.
- 'High quality' back phone and 'high quality' ear phone. The backphone gave me flat sounds it's good for listening to news 93.8 becos the mids are rather good :bsmilie:. The ear phone had the right speaker permanently muted and became a mono earphone. Good for trying to act like a secret agent with 1 earphone in the ear.

Only the original Sound Blaster Pro 32 lasted me until the days when motherboards no longer supported ISA slots. :thumbsup: Creative rocks! :thumbsup:

That said, I don't own any apple products at all. So I can't judge and say iPod rocks too.

I've now converted to brandless China made mp3 players now they ROCK! :thumbsup: and they cost so much cheaper!

the SB pro is good during the days where mobos still support ISA, with it's 4W power amplifier (built into the card) powering any passive speaker delivers quite good sound quality. it even outlasts my old mobo.

but nowadays most mobo makers have integrated their own multi-channel sound chipsets (and that's not from creative), so have retired my SBpro liao....

reno77 said:
Creative got a patent on organising mp3s in a hierachical manner?? Thats like a patent on organising paper into files and folders.. I think I'm going to patent that that go around everywhere and claim I invented filing and order everyone who files their paperwork to pay me royalties.

yes.. if you can prove that you invented filing..

Assuming that the ipod infringes the patent, all these people who buy and mail back will then be infringers of the patent as well.

ronwong said:
if they managed to take ipod off us shelf. People will buy online and mail back to USA. You cant stop a good product from being sold and push an inferior product. The boycott thing, is also very real.

Status
Not open for further replies.