Arulmigu Velmurugan Gnana Muneeswarar Temple

Status
Not open for further replies.

eikin

Apr 27, 2004
東京 Tokyo
Arulmigu Velmurugan Gnana Muneeswarar Temple is a new addition to the religious scene in Sengkang, located along Rivervale Crescent and next to 2 other Chinese temples. The temple is in the final phase of construction, completing within these few days to be ready for the most important ritual this coming Sunday, when the sacred power of the residing deities will be installed on the temple's gopuras.

The following is a short coverage of a ritual for the moving in of the deities, which happened yesterday (15th Feb 2006) evening ...

somemore information on Hindu rituals can be found in the following:
http://www.heb.gov.sg/hindurituals.html
http://encarta.msn.com/text_761555715___0/Hinduism.html

#1 Temple construction workers at the peak of a gopura.
000.jpg

#2 a little boy moving up the south entrance ...
001.jpg

#3 early devotees arrived to take a good look around the new temple that's still under partial construction.
002.jpg

#4 skylight in the temple.
003.jpg

#5 empty shrines, awaiting for the deities' figures to occupy ...
004.jpg

#6 devotees making a circumambulatory walk around the temple in a clockwise direction.
006.jpg

#7 pots of water holding sacred figurines of Hindu deities (to be worshipped in the new temple) are
also 'wishing wells' where devotees make little prayers and offer donations of coins ...
007.jpg

008.jpg

#9 At a corner, a Hindu deity's figurine, resting on a pillow and buried in a big heap of rice grains, is
being embraced by devotees, who add on more handfuls of rice grains as they pray ...
009.jpg

#10 A young devotee fascinated with this special ritual ...
010.jpg

#11 An old devotee deep in prayer ...
011.jpg

#12 Tentages are set up outside the temple to temporarily hold the deities' sacred figurines before the
big ritual on Sunday ...
012.jpg

#13 (stitched image) A huge prayer tentage set up in the field beside the temple ...
013.jpg

#14 Devotees wait anxiously as the hour draws near for the arrival of the deities' figurines ...
015.jpg

014.jpg

#16 The deities' entourages finally arrived at dusk ...
016.jpg

017.jpg

#18 The musicians played to welcome and lead the entourages to the prayer tentage ...
018.jpg

#19 The 'umbrella party' getting ready to welcome the deities ...
019.jpg

#20 An old torch bearer for the ceremony to come ...
021.jpg

#21 The high priest proceeded to dismount the deities' figurines from the chariots ...
020.jpg

#22 The figurines are being carried on the head of selected priests throughout the ceremony to come ...
022.jpg

024.jpg

023.jpg

#25 The figurines' bearers lining up before proceeding ...
025.jpg

#26 All this while the musicians played vigorously ...
026.jpg

#27 When all are ready they ceremony proceeds into the prayer tentages ...
027.jpg

028.jpg

#29 The ceremony went on with an internal circumambulation around the temporary shrines in the prayer tentage ...
029.jpg

#30 The priests preparing to conduct the ritual to install the figurines in the temporary shrines ....
030.jpg

#31 Fire is always an important element in Hindu rituals ...
031.jpg

#32 The High Priest proceeds to bring the figurines into the respective shrines ...
035.jpg

#33 Devotees watching the ceremonies in the prayer hall ...
032.jpg

#34 After the ceremonies devotees rush forward to make donations ...
033.jpg

#35 ... and make purchases of sacred ritualistic tools and offerings
034.jpg

that's all for the night's coverage, thanks for viewing :)

Excellent journalistic like coverage!! Din know about this otherwise I sure go and shoot one :bsmilie:

thanks sean and sehsuan :)

wonder if anyone braved the 100,000 strong crowd this morning :sweat:

100000?? wow .. i stay in front of the temple .. but not in SG now

Wife also went to in law place yesterday .. probably a good choice ;)

eikin said:
Arulmigu Velmurugan Gnana Muneeswarar Temple is a new addition to the religious scene in Sengkang, located along Rivervale Crescent and next to 2 other Chinese temples. The temple is in the final phase of construction, completing within these few days to be ready for the most important ritual this coming Sunday, when the sacred power of the residing deities will be installed on the temple's gopuras.

The following is a short coverage of a ritual for the moving in of the deities, which happened yesterday (15th Feb 2006) evening ...

somemore information on Hindu rituals can be found in the following:
http://www.heb.gov.sg/hindurituals.html
http://encarta.msn.com/text_761555715___0/Hinduism.html

#1 Temple construction workers at the peak of a gopura.
000.jpg

Very nice photos. As a hindu devotee, I missed this function a lot. But from your pics, You have covered everything. Now I feel I have not missed this function. Very Very thanks to you. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

taipankid said:
100000?? wow .. i stay in front of the temple .. but not in SG now

Wife also went to in law place yesterday .. probably a good choice ;)

yah, traffic was really congested yesterday according to my dad, who helps out at the Chinese temple nearby. :sweat:

abhivachan said:
Very nice photos. As a hindu devotee, I missed this function a lot. But from your pics, You have covered everything. Now I feel I have not missed this function. Very Very thanks to you. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

my pleasure abhivachan :D really happy that the coverage carries meaning for you

Status
Not open for further replies.