Arsenal Football Club - The Gunner's Thread 2

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
Hi fellow gooners!

Given the last thread is almost coming to the end of its lifespan (usually threads ballooned to over 1000 posts are automatically closed) and a new season has dawn upon us ... let's start a new one!

This evening we're playing our first 07/08 season match against WBA ... what's your take?

Go Gunners! :cheergal:

Last edited:
Adebayor to get a hat-trick, all set-up by Walcott. Final Score to be 4-0

Nasri seems to be in the starting line up....I have never actually him in action before.

Yay ... Nasri scores on his debut ... though IMO an average performance (maybe a bit below) but hey, at least we came away with 3 points!

Let's hope we'll play better in subsequent games ... honestly to win the league, this kind of performance is not good enough ...

Yeah... let's hope they can get the act together and win something for a change.

Arsenal were awesome for five minutes but then it looked a little too reminiscent of last season - plenty of chances but no-one really stepping up to take them. However, there were some positives to take from the game; firstly we got all three points. Walcott showed glimpses of the sublime and I hope he has a great season. Nasri looks like a great buy.

What worries me is the strength of the midfield against decent opposition and the fact that Ade and Bentner really can't play together!

We still quite a few regulars out from injury, lets see if they can be better when we have a full squad. :thumbsup:

We still quite a few regulars out from injury, lets see if they can be better when we have a full squad. :thumbsup:
Maybe that is our big weakness, we dont have a strong bench to last the season.
20 plus shots, only about 6 on target. They need shooting practice.

Last edited:
Maybe that is our big weakness, we dont have a strong bench to last the season.
20 plus shots, only about 6 on target. They need shooting practice.

Reporting in Sir!! :bsmilie:

Funny that you would mention about 'a strong bench', I had a discussion with my friend this monring about that. Yes the Arsenal squad does look thin.. but thats only if you compare it with the mega-bucks / mega-squads of chelski & manu. SWP, Sidwell were signed as benchwarmers in Chelski, is that really a sign of strength in depth? Or a complete waste of money?

The team can't play well without Fabregas.... :cool:

But I hope Nasri will improve game by game (yeah and he was in my Fantasy Team last week!).. so what about Hleb? Anyone knows how is he doing in Barca? :bsmilie:

Reporting in Sir!! :bsmilie:

Funny that you would mention about 'a strong bench', I had a discussion with my friend this monring about that. Yes the Arsenal squad does look thin.. but thats only if you compare it with the mega-bucks / mega-squads of chelski & manu. SWP, Sidwell were signed as benchwarmers in Chelski, is that really a sign of strength in depth? Or a complete waste of money?

The team can't play well without Fabregas.... :cool:

But I hope Nasri will improve game by game (yeah and he was in my Fantasy Team last week!).. so what about Hleb? Anyone knows how is he doing in Barca? :bsmilie:

Yah, you are right. It is more in comparision with ManUre and Chleski. Then again, we need to compare to them as they are the title favourites mah..:)

Arsenal going to sign Silvestre from Manu???? WTF!!! :bigeyes:

Arsenal going to sign Silvestre from Manu???? WTF!!! :bigeyes:

SAF wouldn't sell to rivals one...look at what he did to liverpool over henize case, he rather sell to Real than liverpool.
so far, arsenal still has the thinnest squad in the big 4.

I had another discussion with a friend of mine and he says that manu will not win the league this season and the reason is SAF did not refresh the squad.

Basically manu did not make any new signings.

So the opposing managers will have another chance of facing the same manu team this season, and they would be better prepared than last season.

This is the second time AW signs a player who had played in the EPL before. First case was Gallas from Chelski and now Silvestre. And both of them from Top 4 clubs :eek:

=======================
Why another Sam would be good for Arsenal By Ian Grant

What: another bit of potentially positive news?

The Daily Mail says Mikael Silvestre is on the verge of joining Arsenal for £750,000.

Obviously we have to wait and see over transfers, but Mikael Samy Silvestre, would be good news:

He's taller that Gallas and Toure

He brings experience (31) and experience of winning things.

He can play left back or in the centre.

He's played with Gallas before at international level (same squad for five years)

It means the whole back line can still communicate in French :confused:

He'll bring inside knowledge of the United set up

He's mates with Vieira and Henry and Pires - so he'll know about the Arsenal set up already

He's got some pace - or used to have at least

He can tackle

He can cross a ball

He's a good passer

Downside - he's injury prone, with a couple of bad injuries in the last two years.

And he once said: "Arsenal is too French." (see below)

Michael Salmon writes:

A strong, experienced left-sided central defender who can also cover at left-back. Silvestre could free up Kolo for a defensive midfield position.

Kolo providing the muscle and bite in midfield, alongside Cesc, seems to make sense. It's a cost effective option which could combat two problem areas with one player. I think this signing could be a masterstroke from Wenger.

I, for one, hope the rumours are true.

But Steve writes:

I know 4 years ago he was an awesome athlete/defender but he looked finished 2 years ago and did his cruciate last year. Why does Arsene want him?

Silvestre was the one who said Arsenal were 'too French' something that many missed (though you didnt).

Will he bring a better mentality to the club after his time with Fergie? Gallas was under Mourinho and although he was a better captain than Thierry, many still have doubts.

Also, he will be the 2nd foreign player bought by Arsene from the Prem, ironic that both are French and from rival top 4 clubs.

If this is to be the new signing that Arsene was talking about loads of fans will be dismayed (I'm a huge Arsene fan despite his shortcomings and will forever support him).