around $1.6k dslr with at least 1 lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

animeonegai

Jun 24, 2008
Previously I was using E510..

Its quite a value for money dslr.

But recently, I've been thinking of upgrading to another newer dslr.. either nikon or canon or olympus...

From what I know

Olympus has the best dust cleaning body system but its at bottom on ISO performance

Nikon in the middle for cleaning system, but is good at ISO performance

Canon at bottom for cleaning system, but is best at ISO performance (from what I know)

Pls advise on which model I should keep a look out for.

Btw, most of the time I'm shooting human portraits (some times will need to shoot from far to close up in performance stage...) and some times landscape also

Last edited:
Since you are already using the Olympus system, it would be more feasible to just upgrade the body to probably the E30 or E3.

nope, I'm more open towards other system, most likely nikon/canon...

cos i kinda need the better ISO performance.. most likely will buy another close up lens after some time of usage..

What Oly lens do you have? Might as well stick on to Olympus. Ha.

But if you want Nikon/Canon, you're probably looking at the Nikon D90 or the Canon 500D. The kits are about that price.

D90, aps-c body with the best ISO performance right now - around 1.7k for body + kit lens.

If you're so concerned about ISO, prolly you should look into FF body like D700 / 5D mkII, they can do much better than APS-C ones.

I don't know how many 4/3 lenses you have thou, think twice about switching system.

Last edited:
D90, aps-c body with the best ISO performance right now - around 1.7k for body + kit lens.

If you're so concerned about ISO, prolly you should look into FF body like D700 / 5D mkII, they can do much better than APS-C ones.

I don't know how many 4/3 lenses you have thou, think twice about switching system.

I only have the kit lens, so doesn't really matter..

as for D700 and 5D, its too expensive.

why the emphasis on dust cleaning system?

I really don't get what's the hype about High ISO performance. IMO, all current DSLRs now are already pretty good... It's not like you will be printing your photos out poster size after shooting at ISO 3200.

Personally, I think you should be looking more at lenses instead of bodies. Bodies gets obsolete after a few months, lens do not. A f/2.8 lens will do you good.

I really don't get what's the hype about High ISO performance. IMO, all current DSLRs now are already pretty good... It's not like you will be printing your photos out poster size after shooting at ISO 3200.

Personally, I think you should be looking more at lenses instead of bodies. Bodies gets obsolete after a few months, lens do not. A f/2.8 lens will do you good.

CLAP CLAP CLAP:cheergal:.....

i agree that good lens is the key to good photographs(other than personal photography skills of coz)

Hi, before u buy, visit showrooms & websites the-digital-picture & kenrockwell for infor. to help u decide.

if you are very concerned with dust..then stick to oly.....if not, then just learn how to manually clean the camera...dont really trust those anti dust system anyway...

as for nikon or canon...you will have to decide yourself then...all i can say they are both equally capable and good systems

Don't forget Sony and Pentax. At least you can keep in-body IS.

Hi, before u buy, visit showrooms & websites the-digital-picture & kenrockwell for infor. to help u decide.

i agree with going for showrooms and all, but i'm not sure if kenrockwell is a reliable source. yeah.

This is your personal choice.
No one can help you decide.

Marie

Never considered the Pentax K20d? :thumbsup:

K20d is getting really cheap right now. Pentax glass is very value-for-money too so rest assured you won't be overpaying for the quality you get.

why the emphasis on dust cleaning system?

cos i am a lazy person. and i haf yet own a dry box. :(

btw, does both canon and nikon have optical stabilizer or something similar? (Cos I've only been using E510 and it has a OIS in it..)

also, can I ask how much does a lens around 70-200mm for both nikon and canon cost? Thxxxxx

Last edited:
I think Canon using IS - Image stablizer, Nikon VR - Vibration Reduction

cos i am a lazy person. and i haf yet own a dry box. :(

btw, does both canon and nikon have optical stabilizer or something similar? (Cos I've only been using E510 and it has a OIS in it..)

also, can I ask how much does a lens around 70-200mm for both nikon and canon cost? Thxxxxx

1. Dry box has nothing to do with dust removal on the sensor. The dry box will help prevent fungus.

2. Yes, but it's built into specific lenses, not on all.

3. Check the Nikon and Canon subforums for the pricing.

Anything. Currently the new Canon 500D + kit is good. Canon has a gd range of primes, what's more it's very easy to rent the its wide range of lens. I'm not biased.

Status
Not open for further replies.