Arhhh... I see Domination (101)

xxdoggyxx

Feb 19, 2010
Right behind you. :P
My first photo on critique corner. Previously submit once. Didn't get posted. o_O >> Hope to gain a lot in this post. :D
P3144417.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

I will like feedback on the composition.
I have composed the picture this way because I want to show that the Taipei 101 is High High up in the sky.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I want show that Taipei 101 is taller and bigger then picture or television.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

This picture was taken after quite a number of shots of this building. I want to show how tall Taipei 101 is. From far, Taipei 101 looks just like a 25 floor HDB. But when you get to the bottom of 101, Its actually not that small then expected.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I think that this picture has quite upset me, cause i didn't capture the top of Taipei 101. And wants to know why the sky is not blue instead, it shown white. (Its blue on the actual day.)

Camera setting:
Focal Length: 40mm
Aperture: F11
ISO: 1600
Light: 1/3200

c&c Welcome. :D

Next time, try shooting all outdoor shots with a ISO 100 settings.

Did not explain why includes those branches.

Can't figure out pictures and television has got any relation to this subject.

Blue can't turn out to be white, not even in black n white.

This is a magnificient piece of architecture, much taller than any of our buildings here in Singapore, there's no doubt. But you seems doubtful ?

You did not get the top, bcoz you're too near.

Last edited:
I think the actual blue sky became white due to over exposure.
And yes, you shouldn't shoot in high ISO.
And honestly, the building doesn't seem to portray its tall height.
Prolly cos there's no ground level in the first place and no scale subject. (eg human)
I reckon taking it from far, where you can see Taipei 101 along with other buildings will achieve better result. :)

Comments heard... the tree branches was not meant to be inside. Cox theres too much tree around 101, so no choice have to take it with de branches. Sorry didn't explained the branches thingy...
Regarding de tv subject, i was trying to show that 101 is actually bigger then what is shown through de tv.

Thanks. :D

I'm just curious, was the sun behind the building?

there are many lines on the building....thus should look out for them...I just feel it's abit uneasy neither horizonal or vertical is straightened...oso the branches that others have pointed out...

I'm just curious, was the sun behind the building?
Nope. Its cloudly and the sun hiding behind it. :D its spring.

@milio: hi, mind elabroate more for me to understand? kinda confuse about de part, about line of the building?

Last edited:
hi some of my comments i hope you dont mind

1. if you really want tot show the height of Taipei 101, maybe you should frame it with sorrounding buildings.at least you can show its domination to ohter buildings.
2. you failed to show it here(please refer to comment 1)
3. maybe you should not tilted it and show the podium of this building
4.-

;)

@milio: hi, mind elabroate more for me to understand? kinda confuse about de part, about line of the building?

"@milio"?(haha) if you are asking me, then what I'm thinking is...when you shoot from below, framing upward the building, the tilt makes the building seem falling backward...if this is hard to correct in the first place, then probably the horizontal lines can be straighted so that there's a form of order in the photo....when neither is aligned as such in the photo, it feels uneasy...

my 2cents as a viewer.

thankS dufs. i actually have a portrait of 101 from far. ;)
i'll tag u next week:D must give more comment:)

milo: oh yea... u r right... its actually not straight. perhaps my head is tilted by that time, thus the picture of 101 is slanting...

Thanks more:D

Next time, try shooting all outdoor shots with a ISO 100 settings.

Did not explain why includes those branches.

Can't figure out pictures and television has got any relation to this subject.

Blue can't turn out to be white, not even in black n white.

This is a magnificient piece of architecture, much taller than any of our buildings here in Singapore, there's no doubt. But you seems doubtful ?

You did not get the top, bcoz you're too near.

Just to add on.

Aperture: F11
ISO: 1600
Light: 1/3200

You don't need such a high shutter speed. Here's reciprocracy for you (assuming that you were at right exposure for explaination's sake):

Constant Aperture:
ISO: 800
Shutter: 1/1600

ISO: 400
Shutter: 1/800

ISO: 200
Shutter: 1/400

ISO: 100
Shutter 1/200

All equivalent EVs

Since the sky is too bright you can increase your faster speed to >1/200. Tip: Try spot metering and expose for sky. Tip 2: HDR.

dont get your title.

what happened to color balance of picture?

not a fan of the building falling backwards.

dont get your title.

what happened to color balance of picture?

not a fan of the building falling backwards.

Yea... the sky has problem, the building out of color...
Find it sad that i didn't save it s as RAW. Or i can do some pp.

Thanks fir the comment. :D