Argh! Frustrated with 486RC2 Ballhead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

plinius

May 22, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Hi all,

was trying to set up my 300D with the 486RC2 ballhead to take a protrait of my wife, and after aiming the focus pt on her eye, I locked the ballhead...and it starts to creep downwards...nevermind, i aim higher a lil and lock, creep as expected and my aim-off was out!

sigh...it is just me or a norm for the 486RC2?

will other models of ballheads give me the same problem? I am looking for another ballhead too..............

Thanks in advance

plinius said:
Hi all,

was trying to set up my 300D with the 486RC2 ballhead to take a protrait of my wife, and after aiming the focus pt on her eye, I locked the ballhead...and it starts to creep downwards...nevermind, i aim higher a lil and lock, creep as expected and my aim-off was out!

sigh...it is just me or a norm for the 486RC2?

will other models of ballheads give me the same problem? I am looking for another ballhead too..............

Thanks in advance

I have no idea what this ballhead is all about. But from your description the camera + lens is too heavy for this ballhead.

It still does not mean that you cannot use this ballhead tp photograph your wife. It just mean that you will have to use your one hand to add support to the camera system during shooting. Obviously this will not do for photography when the shutter speed is very slow such as those that run into seconds.

Most portrait shoots have speed in the area of 1/60 or more.

In any case, it is probably a waste of time asking on web which tripod/head to buy. Just bring your gear to the camera store and mount it to see if it works!

Ha? I mount everything from my 1DMKII with 300mm lens to a Mamiya RZ MF system on it with no problems... :think:

I have the 308RC and face the same problem. After closely examining it, alot of creep comes from the QR holder, there is alot of play at the front area. If I use a piece of cardboard (or namecard) on the QR area, it improves (but still has some creep).

Hope this helps.

for my location here in US (a ulu small town), it is tough for me to bring all barangs to store......i buy most of the stuffs online or via Fred Miranda forum......

thanks

student said:
I have no idea what this ballhead is all about. But from your description the camera + lens is too heavy for this ballhead.

It still does not mean that you cannot use this ballhead tp photograph your wife. It just mean that you will have to use your one hand to add support to the camera system during shooting. Obviously this will not do for photography when the shutter speed is very slow such as those that run into seconds.

Most portrait shoots have speed in the area of 1/60 or more.

In any case, it is probably a waste of time asking on web which tripod/head to buy. Just bring your gear to the camera store and mount it to see if it works!

Ha? you mean it will not creep at all?

for me, I aim at eye, after tigtheing, the aiming pt will be out lor.........

nickmak said:
Ha? I mount everything from my 1DMKII with 300mm lens to a Mamiya RZ MF system on it with no problems... :think:

cheaper ballheads are prone to this problem. the more expensive ones are better, once u lock it stays. cheap one will move a bit after lock cos not very precise. and as said by another poster, the QR thingy makes it worse cos cheap QR mechanism = not precisely machined = small gaps.

That said, if you doing precise framing, better to get a more ex ballhead. For me I dont do precise framing so the 308RC (older version of the 486) works well for me.

cheers

nickmak said:

You are probably right, but not for plinius.

Many sing praises for the Acratech, but somehow it does not support my Canon 1V with a 100-400. So I junked it! May be a lemon!

thanks for the tip...i will go try tmw morning...heh..now it is 1am here......

thanks

cheers

eawtan said:
I have the 308RC and face the same problem. After closely examining it, alot of creep comes from the QR holder, there is alot of play at the front area. If I use a piece of cardboard (or namecard) on the QR area, it improves (but still has some creep).

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.