Are you willing to get a crappy pay for a job you love?

Are you willing to get a crappy pay for a job you love?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WuffRuff

Jan 10, 2007
opp. East Coast Park
Someone posted a poll regarding sticking to a job you hate becos of a high pay.
Well, I would like to look at the other side of the coin...
I wonder how many people would be willing to take a crappy pay for a job they love... and why.

yes... but also depends on how much you are being paid... if its enough to support your family. well.. i do not mind actually...

but please dun tell me its a $800/mth job... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

because i rather bcome a trash collector.. :sticktong

yes... but also depends on how much you are being paid... if its enough to support your family. well.. i do not mind actually...

hor. i foresee a pay cut for you then !! :devil:

No way...how to be happy with no money???? :dunno:

With the extra money....at least....you can buy happiness after the crappy day.....at Geylang or something like that :sweatsm:

No way...how to be happy with no money???? :dunno:

With the extra money....at least....you can buy happiness after the crappy day.....at Geylang or something like that :sweatsm:

Taxi ride to geylang: $10
"Short Time" with girl: $60
Discovering you got STD: Priceless

:nono:

That was my take home pay when working as a kennel assistant (6 day week 9-6). Yes i agree that if you truley love the job you will stay with it. Also depends on weather you like the people you work with.

I actually worked for free for my passion..

It was ok for me until i realise Why am I working then the boss is living off me..

Now I still work for my passion.. for someone else and getting paid :D

End of the day... when u love your job very much

BUT

Realised that your pay cant pay the bills
Realised that you cant buy your gf gifts
Realised that you cant give your parents pocket money
Realised that your pay all goes to your expenses and cannot save anything
Realised that you are going to retired broke and penniless

I would say think twice then.... Remember money cant buy happiness but it can buy you comfort.

End of the day... when u love your job very much

BUT

Realised that your pay cant pay the bills
Realised that you cant buy your gf gifts
Realised that you cant give your parents pocket money
Realised that your pay all goes to your expenses and cannot save anything
Realised that you are going to retired broke and penniless

I would say think twice then.... Remember money cant buy happiness but it can buy you comfort.

The worst thing is...you only realize that by the age of 55...you got medical bill, out of job, physically weak, no place to stay, no food to eat...you became a social burden....so one day decided to jump off the MRT track....you cause major delay in public transport system...you created major headline in newspaper for week....you dissapoint your love one.....so on and so forth....so for me.....no money no talk :nono:

I agree bread and butter is important...
OK, lets take this a step further...
What if you will get a crappy starting pay for a job you love... but if u are good and after some time, there is a possibility for pay increment to a decent or even good pay?

That was my take home pay when working as a kennel assistant (6 day week 9-6). Yes i agree that if you truley love the job you will stay with it. Also depends on weather you like the people you work with.

So are u still in that job?

what is love ? what is crap? find a job you love & you never have to work again. :think:
how much can one love the job... every job has its ups & downs ....
even if the pay is meagre.. also cant be too little until cannot pay for basic things.

depends on the needs & situation of individual. ppl like me who have family commitments cant do what i like.

i assume that you talk about job you love with meagre pay, its only considering individual's situation lah. most ppl here in sg are strangled with bills bills bills :hung:

reminds me of this song .. Bills, Bills, Bills (Destiny Child)

Can you pay my bills?
Can you pay my telephone bills?
Do you pay my automo' bills?
If you did then maybe we could chill
I don't think you do
So, you and me are through
Can you pay my bills?
Can you pay my telephone bills?
Do you pay my automo' bills?
If you did then maybe we could chill
I don't think you do
So, you and me are through

:sweatsm:

I receive a very sad mail this morning forwarded by a friend......so we do have a choice in our work don't we?

> > A HP staff passed away on Mon at age 29,...work stress related death > >

> > Very sad case, see her last posting... Almost like she saw it coming > >

> > http://pinkmayflower.multiply.com/journal/item/140

> >

> > http://kaiyan.multiply.com/journal/item/197

> >Her cause of death was mainly due to overwork. Doctor said that she sat down for too long a time and a blood clot formed at her legs. When she tried to stand up, the blood actually shot to her heart, causing her to collapse. Her Mom called the ambulance immediately but even on the way there, she was informed that MJ's condition was critical, asking her to be prepared. That was when she called Pamela (MJ's best friend since don't know when), then Pamela called me to inform me and her Mom called me just a minute after that. After that, all was written in the past blog which I decide to skip here. According to her Mom, she was working non-stop for the past 8 hours with the lap top on her lap, replying emails and work related stuff, so this proves what the doctors had examined as well.

> > Not worth earning $ at the expense of your health.

> >

> > Take care and live another day.

I think the furthest I can go with regards to this issue is, I am willing to accept a slightly lower paying job (e.g a couple hundred dollars lower than the market rate) if its something that I enjoy doing (passion), has potential for job growth and the company places great importance in training their employees.

The reality is, a lot of my passions in life such as photography and filmmaking all require substantial large amounts of money. I have also heard a lot of accquaintances telling me it is passion behind a person that produces great photos/films. That, IMHO, is only half correct. Ultimately, you still need money to buy that most basic DSLR/lens/accesories to take photos. Sure, you don't need a high-end equipment but you need at least the most BASIC and MINIMAL tool to do so.

My dentist, who was making small talk with me before my anesthesia kicked in, told me he used to study filmmaking during his college. How he changed paths from filmmaking to dentistry I don't know but I am sure with the money he is earning now as a dentist, he can easily make short films every year if he has good stories.

Money definitely cannot solve all the problems in this world, but it sure can solve a large portion of problems in our lives.

{Mich} :)

10 years ago, when there no bills for me to pay, I may say yes, especially if it is job I love to do. Now, I'll definintely say no. There too much bills to pay, and my priority has shifted to my family. Now I work for the money and not for my passion.

Status
Not open for further replies.