Are you pissed with Digital Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightpiper

Oct 20, 2003
Ok, we all have read the recent hooha about if film is still alive. now lets focus on digital photography for a change.

my question is: r u pissed with digital photography?

why do i ask? well, knowing all these digital 'flaws' like moiré, CA even with top lens, pixelation with extreme enlargements, data corruption with mem card, noise, water colour effect in shadows, crop factor, etc.

do all these problems actually put u off & drag u away from DP? i would like to know how u digi bugs come to compromise with this new technology/format.

if all these problems r totally acceptable, then why the big fuss over film vs digital? so for once, why not tell those who wants to know DP, whats the thing that keeps u hanging on even with such known problems?

Hi

I got damn pissed driving a car too.

worrying about road tax, insurrance. fuel tank runing empty, price hike of petrol, regular servicing, diy checks like battery water and tyre pressure, traffic offences, regular topping up of parking cupon and cash card and pump tyre, fear of deliberate vandalisation, and those non deliberate ones like people open door and bang into yours, then bird ****, and the regular vacum and washing, also got to send friends home, blah...blah....

Then how? back to public transport?

Did I answer your question? :)

HeWolf said:
Hi

I got damn pissed driving a car too.

worrying about road tax, insurrance. fuel tank runing empty, price hike of petrol, regular servicing, diy checks like battery water and tyre pressure, traffic offences, regular topping up of parking cupon and cash card and pump tyre, fear of deliberate vandalisation, and those non deliberate ones like people open door and bang into yours, then bird ****, and the regular vacum and washing, also got to send friends home, blah...blah....

Then how? back to public transport?

Did I answer your question? :)

i'm piss i never won TOTO, should i stop buying?

not exactly. u can always take taxi & get one cater for u like a regular service. :)

Belle&Sebastain said:

yes u should. :) thats what we all learn in school, gambling will make u lose alot more than u can gain in the long run. ;) forgotten your lessons?

nightpiper said:
yes u should. :) thats what we all learn in school, gambling will make u lose alot more than u can gain in the long run. ;) forgotten your lessons?

my teacher only told me, never take failure as an option, keep trying. i'm still listening to her advise for the last 8 years now.

I feel it's just a matter of time for people to get used to it. I mean, we don't really see anyone using abacus or cassette tapes these days, so there will be a time when film would be regarded as antique. But like all antiques, there will always be those who appreciate them, like audiophiles loyally stick to records.

But personally, I feel that once you give up on technology because of frustration, it'll be hard to get back on it again. My advice, keep to it because technology will always improve and make things easier (most of the time at least).

I get pissed when my prints are simply not a match for film prints. Its just different, it just has the digital flavour that I do not consider superior. Its too electronic. Its funny, I have more satisfaction looking at normal prints.... .

nightpiper said:
Ok, we all have read the recent hooha about if film is still alive. now lets focus on digital photography for a change.

why do i ask? well, knowing all these digital 'flaws' like moiré, CA even with top lens, pixelation with extreme enlargements, data corruption with mem card, noise, water colour effect in shadows, crop factor, etc.

do all these problems actually put u off & drag u away from DP? i would like to know how u digi bugs come to compromise with this new technology/format.

if all these problems r totally acceptable, then why the big fuss over film vs digital? so for once, why not tell those who wants to know DP, whats the thing that keeps u hanging on even with such known problems?

IF you look at anything, and only pick at the flaws, and since nothing is perfect, you simply get pissed by anything under the sun....for that matter, you might be pissed by the sun itself.

I will prefer to write with a hand-polished 22K solid gold fountain pen nib on hand-made rag anytime. But I find myself writing on a keyboard abot 99.98% of the time.

I would prefer using a 4x5 or 8x10 or a 120 (or at least used to) for a still life or formal portrait anytime, but I find myself using and now digital 99.98% of the time.

I would prefer to listen to my properly preserved vinyl LPs on my Pink T anytime, but i find myself listening (and watching) CDs and VCDs 99.98% of the time.

Verdict: there's a time and place for everything. All one has to do is decide what's best for oneself...regardless of what others say.

Yes, I still have my fountain pen and vinly records. I'm sure I can still find some hi-rag paper somewhere around...Sad to say, I sold off all my film cameras save one a long time ago...not because I was getting into digital mind you.

can i say that generally speaking, its time to move on with technology even tho it has a new set of problems/inconvenices? i can understand for other areas like computing, science, etc. but must we really move on with technology in photography?

whats the acceptance level for the new problems? or rather what keeps u going & stick to DP despite obstacles? love?

nightpiper said:
can i say that generally speaking, its time to move on with technology even tho it has a new set of problems/inconvenices? i can understand for other areas like computing, science, etc. but must we really move on with technology in photography?

whats the acceptance level for the new problems? or rather what keeps u going & stick to DP despite obstacles? love?

hmmmm..... :think:

Are we, or do we really need to move on with technology? To me, DP is a DIFFERENT kind of technology. To move on with technology means that film is old fashioned... and personally, I don't think it is. Film is still far more superior in quality when you get the prints out. DP still has a long way to go. In that respect, that's why I'm pissed with DP - paying so much and not getting the quality of film output.

nightpiper said:

why do i ask? well, knowing all these digital 'flaws' like moiré, CA even with top lens,

Sigh....here we go again......please read the following...

http://www.seittipaja.fi/data/Ponti...vs_digital.html

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/r.../shootout.shtml

How does a digital sensor cause CA?? The fact that CA from a good lens can show on a digital sensor on not on film is testament that digital sensors are beginning to out-resolve film, surely a lens deficiency can't be blamed on a digital sensor??? :dunno:

nightpiper said:
pixelation with extreme enlargements, data corruption with mem card, noise, water colour effect in shadows, crop factor, etc.

Aren't you fed up with the extreme graininess, rough spots, nicks and scratches with large film enlargements, how about having to protect film from x-rays, fading of emulsion, accidental exposure, archival? What data corruption from cards? I've taken over 20K of digital images and have not lost a single one due to card failure. OTOH, can't tell you how many rolls of film I've lost due to mis-handling (more than a few). Can't stand the crop? Buy yourself just one more wide angle lens, problem solved.

nightpiper said:

If digital died tomorrow, I would stop taking pictures.

nightpiper said:

Its more than acceptable, to me, digital photography is far superior to film, in terms of convenience, image quality (in my hands), and is the only reason why I'm now into photography in a bigger way than the past. To me, the deficiencies of film are unacceptable.

dkw said:
....What data corruption from cards? I've taken over 20K of digital images and have not lost a single one due to card failure. OTOH, can't tell you how many rolls of film I've lost due to mis-handling (more than a few)...

u must be one lucky chap with digital & one unlucky chap with film. here's a link to corrupted files. http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=82611 anymore photographers with your kind of luck, photo rescue s/w will need to close shop already. but i m not here to pick on u, just want to hear your views on what keeps u going with digital. :)

nightpiper said:
u must be one lucky chap with digital & one unlucky chap with film. here's a link to corrupted files. http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=82611 anymore photographers with your kind of luck, photo rescue s/w will need to close shop already. but i m not here to pick on u, just want to hear your views on what keeps u going with digital. :)

Well actually, isn't photo rescue more for accidentally deleted files :), those I have. The link you've provided is one of very few instances that I'm aware of, and it's not even clear in this case if the actual files are corrupted or merely the files on the hard-drive after the transfer, which is an easily remediable situation.

Point is, there are plenty of drawbacks with film photography too. I'm sooooo glad I don't have to bring rolls and rolls of film with me anymore when I travel, load it halfway in the shade while shooting something dynamic, shoot exactly 36 exposures each time, handcarry through customs.......what a hassle! Yes, I've left film in my car in some heat, following which I brought with me to travel, and you can guess the rest, 4 whole rolls of faded shots on one my my nicest trips. How many times have you set a wrong exposure on film and run off a whole roll? I have. With digital, a quick check on review and you are saved, just re-shoot.

One last important thing, despite all the howls from the film buffs here, in my hands (I stress this!), I can consistently get better pictures with digital than I can with film. The image quality is superb and beats most of what I can get from film. Obviously, if you are an experienced film shooter, you will do a lot better than me, but I'm not!

Lots of advantages, yah? ;) Your original post seemed to have implied that digital users must be all be pretty thick to stick with the medium. It was one sided, and didn't took into consideration all the problems people face with film usage as well. To me, disadvantages of film far outweigh disadvantages of digital, hope this answers your question satisfactorily. :)

Don't be afraid of the technology, it's good and reliable, although a little expensive right now.

So maybe, now you can tell me what keeps you shooting film, despite its obvious shortcomings? :blah:

Cheerio,

dkw said:
Well actually, isn't photo rescue more for accidentally deleted files :), those I have. The link you've provided is one of very few instances that I'm aware of, and it's not even clear in this case if the actual files are corrupted or merely the files on the hard-drive after the transfer, which is an easily remediable situation.

Point is, there are plenty of drawbacks with film photography too. I'm sooooo glad I don't have to bring rolls and rolls of film with me anymore when I travel, load it halfway in the shade while shooting something dynamic, shoot exactly 36 exposures each time, handcarry through customs.......what a hassle! Yes, I've left film in my car in some heat, following which I brought with me to travel, and you can guess the rest, 4 whole rolls of faded shots on one my my nicest trips. How many times have you set a wrong exposure on film and run off a whole roll? I have. With digital, a quick check on review and you are saved, just re-shoot.

One last important thing, despite all the howls from the film buffs here, in my hands (I stress this!), I can consistently get better pictures with digital than I can with film. The image quality is superb and beats most of what I can get from film. Obviously, if you are an experienced film shooter, you will do a lot better than me, but I'm not!

Lots of advantages, yah? ;) Your original post seemed to have implied that digital users must be all be pretty thick to stick with the medium. It was one sided, and didn't took into consideration all the problems people face with film usage as well. To me, disadvantages of film far outweigh disadvantages of digital, hope this answers your question satisfactorily. :)

Don't be afraid of the technology, it's good and reliable, although a little expensive right now.

So maybe, now you can tell me what keeps you shooting film, despite its obvious shortcomings? :blah:

Cheerio,

By the same token, those who prefer film will list all the shortcomings of digital photography.... they are different. Period.

BTW, the link to Luminous Landscape is wrong... I get a 404, could u please repost? Thanks! :)

TME said:
By the same token, those who prefer film will list all the shortcomings of digital photography.... they are different. Period.

BTW, the link to Luminous Landscape is wrong... I get a 404, could u please repost? Thanks! :)

TME, links below. It it fails, just head for the luminous landscape site and search for 'film vs digital'

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/shootout.shtml

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/d60/d60.shtml

As you may have noticed, my two posts in this thread have only been in reply to some pretty inaccurate assumptions about digital photography. I'm happy shooting digital and I know there are many people happy to shoot film, so I've never ever bothered to start any 'film vs digital' debates. I will respond however, to mis-information. They may be different formats, but they try to achieve the same thing (i.e. take good pictures), so they DO bear comparisons.

Cheers,

Belle&Sebastain said:

Maybe I should stop buying 4D and do a rough estimate of how much I spent already. Damn, but I don't want to know I am a fool. So I'll leave it as such and continue to buy 4D.

Status
Not open for further replies.