Are you photographer or photoShopper?

Are you photographer or photoshopper ;p

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ST_sg

Mar 23, 2004
sunnytang.zenfolio.com
Here another survey to get know more about how you guys keep your profolio :embrass:

With the advance of post processing software, do you rely much on the software to enhance your photos? ie. adjust brigtness/contrasts/saturation/hue/curves ?

Or you are a real photographer who concerntrate on each exposure control from your camera? AV +-, FEC, Iso, WB... ?

• >80% of collections PS enhanced
  • about 50% of collections PS enhanced
  • <30% of collections PS - touch up only
  • nah... I don't do post processing!

Thanks for sharing your experience heh :thumbsup:

If you use DSLR, post process is more or less a must. Unless you shoot film which the lab will do it for you. It should be part of the workflow.

hmm... me new in d-photography, and always thought that I should spend more time on learning how-to take a good photo than how-to make a good photo ;p

Ya, I found that, my pictures are quite dull and often prints out also dark. What I've learn so far is to adjust "level" based on histogram patent. Always need to slide the right pointer towards left side to make brighter results. But sometime, it's bright enough on my monitor, however print out still dark :(

My monitor brightness/contrast has try very best to match this:
grayscale.gif

Care to explain a bit how's the normal workflow you guys do, after a day of shooting?
Any good PS reference book to recommend?

Thanks much!

i think even if i photoshopped 100% of my images, i'll still call myself a photographer. as mentioned, photoshop is just part of the workflow for digital shooters, as the lab is for film shooters.

jOhO said:
i think even if i photoshopped 100% of my images, i'll still call myself a photographer. as mentioned, photoshop is just part of the workflow for digital shooters, as the lab is for film shooters.

yes, its still part of the workflow, not knowing how to develop my own negatives dun make me less of a photogragher right?

my bnw pics i only do minor leveling if necessary, which accounts for 5% of my work.

ot: belle&sebastain, ur avatar cat looks like its dead already~ my god !!!

always minor touch up my pics...
some cropping and some USM and slight adjustment of contrast and brightness...

Who dun do that with a digital photo? Just curious :)

rainman said:
always minor touch up my pics...
some cropping and some USM and slight adjustment of contrast and brightness...

Who dun do that with a digital photo? Just curious :)

What is USM huh?

i think they come in habd in hand...i mean, if u do digital shots, it'd be insane if u dun try to enhance it as long as u see fit..thats one of the major advantages on going digital!

'sides, any one would love to save shots that were made horrible due to something...

but i have a question, i encountered photos which i eidted, tweaked up the brightness to print....on moniter look swee sweee.....print out...still dark...so how to overcome this?

ST_sg said:
What is USM huh?
ultrasonic motor :bsmilie:

got some qns here...does sharpening have the same effect as just using a sharper lens?? :think: ie can we have it such that say i take a pic with EF 24-85/3.5-4.5 @ 85mm @ f4.5 ..then sharpen it until it is as sharp as the same scene captured with EF 85/1.8 @ 85mm @f4.5?

clive said:
ultrasonic motor :bsmilie:

got some qns here...does sharpening have the same effect as just using a sharper lens?? :think: ie can we have it such that say i take a pic with EF 24-85/3.5-4.5 @ 85mm @ f4.5 ..then sharpen it until it is as sharp as the same scene captured with EF 85/1.8 @ 85mm @f4.5?

Don't think so Clive. Sharpening does help in a way to get sharp pictures. However, it introduces a substantial amout of noise. It is still recommended to get a sharper lens, such as a prime or 'L' lens to get the best results. However, if cost is a problem to some, USM should do the trick for most, if not all, of the cases.

One has to take care when using USM, as over-doing it may render the photos very unnatural. Use it with moderation and you'll all be amazed by its effect!

Virgo said:
USM should do the trick for most, if not all, of the cases...

... Use it with moderation and you'll all be amazed by its effect!

yappari ne...right now im experimenting on the settigns for sharpening. :light:

My usual default setting for USM :
Amount 100% to 200%
Radius 0.5 to 1.0 pixels
Threshold 0 level

Though Nothing beats the real thing (Sharp lens) USM always gave me pleasant result in 4R and 5R. :)

Hope u guys have fun in PS!

rainman said:
My usual default setting for USM :
Amount 100% to 200%
Radius 0.5 to 1.0 pixels
Threshold 0 level

mmmmm...this setting is u gather from a lot of trial n error.. or one fine day u met some wizard n he told u one? :think: must go n try out =)

Status
Not open for further replies.