Are you happy living in Singapore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wished the weather isn't that hot and humid. Something moderate like Taiwan's should be nice .... cool and dry ;p

You work inside an air-con office, sleep in an air-con room, eat in an air-con restaurant, travel in an air-con MTR, shop in an air-con departmental store etc. etc.

So why need a cool and dry weather? :)

You work inside an air-con office, sleep in an air-con room, eat in an air-con restaurant, travel in an air-con MTR, shop in an air-con departmental store etc. etc.

So why need a cool and dry weather? :)

:nono: Errr... hospital C ward no aircon... Only rich and luxurious B wards and above have air con...

as the saying goes "The grass is always greener on the other side"

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

It depends what sort of fertilizer you use.

also depends where the grass is growing. in Australia, most of the country is in a drought now so the grass will be more brown than green :bsmilie:

i've always wanted to try living in Singapore...but don't know whether I should or not. i don't want to think about the salary i'll get between Australia and Singapore as i know that Singapore won't pay me nearly as much for the same work.

You'll probably miss the vast space Melb has to offer the moment you step out of Changi Airport. And you'll miss the fresh clean air.... the clear blue sky... and the list goes on and on ...

nothing beats sitting down. in a small cosy house with a big big piece of land. with short green grass and clear blue skies. cool weather, loving and pretty wife.

and money keeps rolling in every month. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I miss the blue sky , mountain and lake that I used to see every weekend.
I also miss salmon fishing on every forthnight
And I miss those really cosmopolitan city (singapore is not really cosmopolitan by the way) where huge number of pple from all over the world comes together.
I miss the vast land, where i see no inhibitants for several days of travelling.
I miss the freedom - to protest , to speak and to act with reasonable means and greater choice.
Stepping out of Singapore Changi Airport crash that reality - I am now in the sardine packed concrete jungle.

But hey .... i love the durians, food and efficient system (compare to alot of western countries) in Singapore. Most important , the family , friends and "singapore culture" is rooted which holds most of the returning oversea back to here. ;p

To live happy in Singapore.. u need 3 things.

1) a reasonable stable income ( buy house, food.. etc )
2) good companionship ( friends, wife, husband, relatives.. not so lonely )
3) good health ( dun ever fall sick in Singapore ! medical bills can make u a bankrupt )

I would think this applies everywhere.

nothing beats sitting down. in a small cosy house with a big big piece of land. with short green grass and clear blue skies. cool weather, loving and pretty wife.

and money keeps rolling in every month. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

There is something else money can't be replaced.

The relatives and friends you've left behind. Your root. The Asian foods. The Singlish and Chinese dialects. The relatively low tax rate. And the list goes on and on.

The relatives and friends you've left behind. Your root. The Asian foods. The Singlish and Chinese dialects. The relatively low tax rate. And the list goes on and on.

Yes, agree. I thought i would not miss aboard. On the third month, i start to crave for asian foods badly. Tax is one of the lowest in the developed world.

For those who yearns to migrate,

Wait till you've stayed in the UK or Australia for two years..u would be begging for mercy.. Singapore is still one great country to live in unless you want to be treated as 'parasites' and second class citizens elsewhere.

Let's do a poll on whether most of us are happy living here?

There is never a system that makes everybody happy? If you can find one tell the whole world!

I would like to stay in that place.

COE.. and without COE, Traffic Jam .. blame the govt..
Shift the ferry terminal... no bussiness blame the govt... recent shift in HK.. the HongKee are more realistic.. they said thing got to change... it is life!
expensive medical cost... blame the govt so do you want them to increase your income tax????? else where do the govt gets the monies from.. so yes yes yes or no no no?
When we have such a poll it is good if we can have a comparision say Singapore vs Hong Kong or Singapore vs Finland where 60% of your salary goes to income tax and you get free education etc.

For those who say ...su..... state your ground! quote the system in another country which can provide you a good or better system it is easy say than .......

I rest my case!

I miss the blue sky , mountain and lake that I used to see every weekend.
I also miss salmon fishing on every forthnight
And I miss those really cosmopolitan city (singapore is not really cosmopolitan by the way) where huge number of pple from all over the world comes together.
I miss the vast land, where i see no inhibitants for several days of travelling.
I miss the freedom - to protest , to speak and to act with reasonable means and greater choice.
Stepping out of Singapore Changi Airport crash that reality - I am now in the sardine packed concrete jungle.

But hey .... i love the durians, food and efficient system (compare to alot of western countries) in Singapore. Most important , the family , friends and "singapore culture" is rooted which holds most of the returning oversea back to here. ;p

I agreed with you whole heartedly.. I missed many of those which I can't find in Singapore but most of all I missed Singapore!

Todays papers:

Tax in Finland: up to 60% cf Singapore: up to 22%

Value added tax (VAT) in Finland: 22% cf Singapore: 5 goint 7%

Complaints about travelling in overcrowded trains? Try Tokyo, London or NY it says.

For the man on the street, I don't think there are many who can really say they are better off stay in another country. :confused:

Then why are you in Australia??

Todays papers:

Tax in Finland: up to 60% cf Singapore: up to 22%

Value added tax (VAT) in Finland: 22% cf Singapore: 5 goint 7%

Complaints about travelling in overcrowded trains? Try Tokyo, London or NY it says.

For the man on the street, I don't think there are many who can really say they are better off stay in another country. :confused:

Actually, I the overcrowded trains in Tokyo ain't so bad. Their trains travel a lot fast than the MRT and you get to your destination a lot quicker. Plus there are express and rapid services that do not stop at every station.

For those who yearns to migrate,

Wait till you've stayed in the UK or Australia for two years..u would be begging for mercy.. Singapore is still one great country to live in unless you want to be treated as 'parasites' and second class citizens elsewhere.

Depends... Really can't generalize like dat.

I have friends who are extremely happy overseas and would hardly consider coming back. They get good pay, adaptable lifestyle enjoying the things they like, etc. It strongly depends on your occupation, which part of the city you live, your attitude and personality.

Like all places, there are good and bad things in Singapore. Those who especially hate the crowds here, the boring places after a while cos the place is too small, the restricted rules, lack of opprtunities, stressful lifestyle yet lower income, etc will usually want to go overseas.

Actually, I the overcrowded trains in Tokyo ain't so bad. Their trains travel a lot fast than the MRT and you get to your destination a lot quicker. Plus there are express and rapid services that do not stop at every station.

i disagree, the overcrowding situation is beyond imagination. only those who been through it knows how bad it can really be. imagine more than 30 min of not being able to stand properly, with zero space left for any kind of movement of the limbs. being squashed is quite an understatement. the Singapore MRT is nothing compared to Tokyo trains in terms of congestion.

as the saying goes "The grass is always greener on the other side"

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Hi glennyong,

I just read the opening to this thread and was about to add exactly what you wrote :bsmilie:

I was there last year for a very short time and just loved what I saw and got involved in !

I come back home and it is the "same old same old"

Yet, here is beautiful in many ways, such as Singapore is and England is and America is etc.

Maybe we just need to look through another lens :think:

Cheers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.