Status
Not open for further replies.

deckard

Oct 13, 2006
HUMAN ORGAN TRANSPLANT ACT (HOTA)
- Helping Others Through A Gift of Life -

All non-Muslim Singapore Citizens and
Permanent Residents between the age of 21
and 60 years old are included under HOTA.
By being a donor, you will have priority in
receiving a cadaveric organ if you need one.
The Gift of Life will benefit many patients
with organ failure. You can help by not
opting out of HOTA.
However, if you do not wish to donate your
organs upon death, you have the choice to
opt out.

:dunno:

No, why would I?

Then what, get my family members to sell my organs for cash so that they can buy new lenses ar? =D

The reason for opting out is because of the fear that some medical establishments might be overly eager to "harvest" your organs and be quick to pronouce you brain dead.

pls note that with opt out, you will get last priority if you (touch wood) need an organ in future ... fair fair .. think think...

well... just keep 1 handy... in case of emergency, break bag to retrieve the document... ;)

haha i think your heart is already given to someone!

On a more serious note, if anyone donate, more than one life might be saved.

HOTA allows for corneas, 2 kidneys, liver and heart for transplant.

In this case, 2 ppl can regain their sight (assuming 1 person takes 1 cornea) and 4 ppl can live again.

One has to die inevitably. Why selfishly hang onto life and make 6 people lose hope for the extra 15mins of grieving time?

The dead guy won't be grieving. :bsmilie:

When a person dies in hospital bed, his body must be removed within 2hrs from the ward.

I'm not sure for braindead ppl eligible for organ transplants though.

But really, between saving the lives of 6 people vs an extra 15 to 30mins of grieving time for the family. I think its a very personal decision. U are dead anyway and its not say u'll be reincarnated blind, without heart, liver, kidneys in ur next life if u are without those.

The family's going to grieve for the next few days at least (well even if they're slapping high fives and opening champagne the dead fella wouldn't know), so I suppose they can give up those 15 - 30 minutes.

The family's going to grieve for the next few days at least (well even if they're slapping high fives and opening champagne the dead fella wouldn't know), so I suppose they can give up those 15 - 30 minutes.

:sticktong Watch it ar bro, OT is ok, the jokes are ok, but then er, later people take offense.

We all know how people here take offense very easily! =D

I think like someone mentioned, some doctors would just pronounce a person dead or will put in less effort to save someone. Happened to my grandfather, although it wasn't in Singapore. There's no right or wrong answer, just how much the family members/friends want to cherish the last moments even if it's just for 15 mins.. cause when that day comes, 15 mins actually counts a lot.

* just realized someone dug this thread out =.="

One question: Is the recipient being charge for the donated organ?

I know that blood donation is donated free from the public(i did that too) but one fine day when we needed the blood, it is actually charge by per pack into our bill.(Please correct me if i am wrong?):bheart:

One question: Is the recipient being charge for the donated organ?

I know that blood donation is donated free from the public(i did that too) but one fine day when we needed the blood, it is actually charge by per pack into our bill.(Please correct me if i am wrong?):bheart:
I'm absolutely sure that my last surgery bill DID NOT charge me for the use of blood and by 'how many packs'. A relative who had passed away and had me to manage their papers, I definitely did NOT see any extra charges added to 'use of blood' and 'how many mg used' and 'charged'.

Its probably pure rubbish.

Seriously, I wonder where u all got all the rumours from. :dunno: Think its time u guys stay away from those silly coffeeshop gossips. :bsmilie:

I'm absolutely sure that my last surgery bill DID NOT charge me for the use of blood and by 'how many packs'. A relative who had passed away and had me to manage their papers, I definitely did NOT see any extra charges added to 'use of blood' and 'how many mg used' and 'charged'.

i second this, at one point in time i had to handle quite a variety of surgery bills from different people and i have never seen this listed. of course this doesn't mean they didn't lump it under some other place - private hospitals tend to charge like a miser compared to government hospitals, to be honest from what i've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.