Are you afraid of Computer Virus(es)?

Are you afraid of Computer Virus(es)?


Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artosoft

Senior Member
Aug 31, 2005
3,710
0
0
Tanjong Katong
#1
It is 2006! Computer age! Are you afraid of Computer Virus(es)?

I can't remember when my PC or notebook suffer from Computer Virus. Must be nong nong time ago (or never) :bsmilie: .

I only see it on my office PC, where everyone can open an email freely.

Regards,
Arto.
 

Kho King

Senior Member
Jan 20, 2002
2,513
0
0
41
shashinki.com
#2
1. do not open suspicious emails or attachment

2. do not download files from suspicious/unknown website, especially exe files

curiousity kills...
 

slooow

New Member
Feb 12, 2006
1,000
0
0
#3
can say i using mac? hehe

anyway for my windows based, i not afraid cos i backup a few times... with more thab 1000gig of space... so no need to worry

i even have an image drive to reboot my windows in 10minutes... 100% restoring 100% of everything into the current state...

i am more afraid of someone tapping into my wireless and getting my credit card info...
 

JL1500k

New Member
Apr 14, 2004
301
0
0
#5
Artosoft said:
It is 2006! Computer age! Are you afraid of Computer Virus(es)?

I can't remember when my PC or notebook suffer from Computer Virus. Must be nong nong time ago (or never) :bsmilie: .

I only see it on my office PC, where everyone can open an email freely.

Regards,
Arto.
Must have anti-Virus and anti-spyware program install to protect your PC.
Do backup of the important data to other media and clone the OS image to DVD for recovery in case harddisk crash.
 

Koelsch

Senior Member
Jan 5, 2006
1,454
0
0
The Land of the Teddy Bear
#6
leews2001 said:
anybody here still remember the cBrain bootsector virus from the 80s?
i'm only born in 1986 -.-

and AVG for the win! nothing have anything much so far that affects my comp damn bad.
 

leews2001

New Member
Feb 15, 2006
255
0
0
42
3rd Rock from the Sun
flickr.com
#7
JL1500k said:
Must have anti-Virus and anti-spyware program install to protect your PC.
Do backup of the important data to other media and clone the OS image to DVD for recovery in case harddisk crash.
no $$$ is worth any anti-virus apps. they are just lazy programs. even if u got it free, its still not worth it since they would just eat up your resources. u will tend to entrust everything to anti-virus apps and continue being an idiot using a pc.

change ur working behaviour and be more aware of how virus work... as the saying goes, an APPLE a day, keeps the doctor away...
 

OlyFlyer

Senior Member
Mar 22, 2006
2,161
0
0
#9
No.

Never been infected during 25 years of having several computers in my home and using them.
 

Artosoft

Senior Member
Aug 31, 2005
3,710
0
0
Tanjong Katong
#10
leews2001 said:
no $$$ is worth any anti-virus apps. they are just lazy programs. even if u got it free, its still not worth it since they would just eat up your resources. u will tend to entrust everything to anti-virus apps and continue being an idiot using a pc.

change ur working behaviour and be more aware of how virus work... as the saying goes, an APPLE a day, keeps the doctor away...
I agree with you. Even the Norton Antivirus on my office make me crazy. Every year nagging to update subcription. But for office, no choice. Not everyone in office is computer friendly :confused: .

Personally I use popcorn mail to peek into email first (and decide whether the content is safe or not) before download them to my pc/notebook. Good program and never fail ;) .

Cheers!

Regards,
Arto.
 

Artosoft

Senior Member
Aug 31, 2005
3,710
0
0
Tanjong Katong
#11
OlyFlyer said:
No.

Never been infected during 25 years of having several computers in my home and using them.
Wow :bigeyes: . Still remember 286 with 1MB memory?
IIRC, my first computer is PC-AT 286 16MHz 1MB memory with MSDOS 3.30 :sweat: .

Regards,
Arto.
 

JL1500k

New Member
Apr 14, 2004
301
0
0
#13
Canew said:
JL1500k, how do I do that?

To save important data -- Buy the external casing that contain harddisk (3.5 type or 2.5 type Hdd) USB interface for easy to connect to PC.

To do recovery of OS – Use ghost.exe (Ghost Program) to clone the OS partition (C:\drive) to image that save to destination drive.

Destination drive can be local drive (D:\ or E:\ drive), external drive or even CD/DVD writer.

Make the cd/dvd media bootable using writer program (Nero) then cut the image file and ghost.exe to cd/dvd media.

To do recovery, place the cd/dvd media to cd/dvdrom and restart the PC. It will boot to cd/dvdrom drive. From there you can use ghost program to clone from image to os partition drive when hardisk crash or os corrupted.

Recommand to use dvd cd. It can save 4.7GB data or image file.

You can also clone to dvdrom writer using ghost program.

Notes: must remember to make the dvd cd bootable first before cut image file to dvd
 

JL1500k

New Member
Apr 14, 2004
301
0
0
#14
PC show starting now to 4th June.

Alot of promotion computer items and best time to buy now.
 

leews2001

New Member
Feb 15, 2006
255
0
0
42
3rd Rock from the Sun
flickr.com
#15
Artosoft said:
Wow :bigeyes: . Still remember 286 with 1MB memory?
IIRC, my first computer is PC-AT 286 16MHz 1MB memory with MSDOS 3.30 :sweat: .

Regards,
Arto.
mine is first is PC-XT by Creative... damn expensive.. dunno why my uncle choose that....
CGA 4 color, 640kb memory MSdos 2.x
 

Artosoft

Senior Member
Aug 31, 2005
3,710
0
0
Tanjong Katong
#16
leews2001 said:
mine is first is PC-XT by Creative... damn expensive.. dunno why my uncle choose that....
CGA 4 color, 640kb memory MSdos 2.x
I think is because that time no much choice.

I skip PC-XT because I got Commodore 64 from my friend :) .

Regards,
Arto.
 

leews2001

New Member
Feb 15, 2006
255
0
0
42
3rd Rock from the Sun
flickr.com
#19
Artosoft said:
I think is because that time no much choice.

I skip PC-XT because I got Commodore 64 from my friend :) .

Regards,
Arto.
ah, how nostalgic, i was drooling at the Amigas at serene centre then.... those games, the deluxe paint 4096 colors, the sound .....
 

OlyFlyer

Senior Member
Mar 22, 2006
2,161
0
0
#20
Artosoft said:
Wow :bigeyes: . Still remember 286 with 1MB memory?
IIRC, my first computer is PC-AT 286 16MHz 1MB memory with MSDOS 3.30 :sweat: .

Regards,
Arto.
Actually, the first one I built on my own was in 1980 (or was it 1979?), based on Motorola 6802, having 2 KB EPROM and 8 KB RAM. Later, I expanded to 16KB EPROM and 32KB RAM and I/O devices, also wrote my own operating system, handling even a mass storage device, a dual supermodern diskette drive based on 720KB (!) 3,5" drives from NEC. The price of the two drives were about half of my monthly salary at that time. I built several after that, based on Rockwell 6502, Motorola 6809 and Hitachi 6303. The 286 came into my home later, I think in 1983 and by then, people stopped asking me questions like "What can you do with a computer?" However, at work I got my first PC in 1985. Before that, there were just no PCs capable of runing any applications I worked with, so we used PDP11 and VAX computers.

In fact, I still have some of my first home made computers plus a few 286, 386 laptops, 486/33MHz, Pentium I, II and III desktops. All perfectly functional. Some of these I still use for applications where I may need to risk a computers life. Even if so far I never fried any PC, I am careful about not risking the life of the ones I mostly need.

Once I saw a virus on a diskette I received from a friend in 1985. But even if I am not scared for viruses, I still have NIS on my most valuable computers at home, and also a firewall between my internet provider and my own LAN, so I guess you need to be a Hollywood actor to break into my computers.

Just a little nostalgic and historic trip.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom