Are you a photographer or a lens-changer?

gohjialong

Jul 16, 2010
Recently read a blogpost/article regarding this title. The author mentioned she once asked her brother which lens she should bring for her shoot, how many should she bring and her brother asked her that question.

What do you think guys?

Or, which one are you?

me? i bring out 3 lenses but would rarely change lenses. unless my subject changes from landscape to portraits....

but non-the-less, i'm a lens changer LOL

but point to take note of, you can't qualify a person as a "lens-changer" (i'm assuming here on now that you mean that the person is a lousy photographer) if he/she keeps changing lenses. some pros do it too.

also, some new photographers don't know that different lenses suit different purposes, and keep the lens on all the time without changing them. are they considered professional?

do think about this

Last edited:
kei1309 said:
me? i bring out 3 lenses but would rarely change lenses. unless my subject changes from landscape to portraits....

but non-the-less, i'm a lens changer LOL

but point to take note of, you can't qualify a person as a "lens-changer" (i'm assuming here on now that you mean that the person is a lousy photographer) if he/she keeps changing lenses. some pros do it too.

also, some new photographers don't know that different lenses suit different purposes, and keep the lens on all the time without changing them. are they considered professional?

do think about this

Totally agree with this. We change lens according to the situation. Changing lens
more or less times does not determine whether you are a good or lousy photographer

only bring 1 lens.

Need to zoom in, walk few steps to the front
Need to zoom out, walk few steps to the back

Cannot reach, put down camera and shrug. That's just me.

i should think that knowing WHEN to change your lens is the mark of a good photographer. i wouldnt expect you to use a 50mm 1.8 to take macro shots, neither would i expect you to use a 300mm to take wide landscapes (let's ignore the fact that you can do stitching)

a good artisan knows the right tool for the situation

This is a rhetorical question. It' supposed to make you think instead of finding the literal answer.
If you take it literally it misses the point because it's overly simplifying. Secondly, DSLR is a concept of changing lenses according purpose.
But, coming back to the girl: the idea is that she should think ahead about the subjects and conditions and make a lens selection accordingly. Lugging around the entire lens collection "just in case" is pointless.

This is a rhetorical question. It' supposed to make you think instead of finding the literal answer.
If you take it literally it misses the point because it's overly simplifying. Secondly, DSLR is a concept of changing lenses according purpose.
But, coming back to the girl: the idea is that she should think ahead about the subjects and conditions and make a lens selection accordingly. Lugging around the entire lens collection "just in case" is pointless.

I agree that its a rhetorical question. DSLR's are made to change lens according to different situations. If not, why so many lens produced? haha. But i uds why the 'brother' asked the 'sister' that question too.

bring 2 or 3 body with different lens, problem solved, i know it did for me lol :p

Recently read a blogpost/article regarding this title. The author mentioned she once asked her brother which lens she should bring for her shoot, how many should she bring and her brother asked her that question.

What do you think guys?

Or, which one are you?

The brother is being cheeky, no reason why you want to take him seriously.

Might as well ask:

1. Are you a photographer or a tripod carrier?
2. Are you a photographer or a battery charging peon?
3. Are you a photographer or a fashion camera bag connosieur?
4. Are you a photographer or a remote control holder?
5. Are you a photographer or a beach bum?

The brother is being cheeky, no reason why you want to take him seriously.

Might as well ask:

1. Are you a photographer or a tripod carrier?
2. Are you a photographer or a battery charging peon?
3. Are you a photographer or a fashion camera bag connosieur?
4. Are you a photographer or a remote control holder?
5. Are you a photographer or a beach bum?

The most controversial one:

- Are you a photographer or XMM stalker? :bsmilie:

this question being asked, probably she is a newbies, not sure what lenses she suppose to use, fair enough, however, if we look into the question deeper, we will notice this is rather a common problem most people will encounter, we are being taught that to shoot XXX type of shots, we need XXX type of lens, and it is recommended to get the best lenses which you able to afford.... blar blar blar..

this type of recommendation is correct, and sound, however, most people already forgotten that the photographers also need to acquire sufficient knowledge and skills to handle the type of shots he intend to do. The gears is just a tool.
Once the photographer have such mindset, mostly he will not look within to find out what's wrong when the photos do not turn out as what he expected, he will keep seeking for external factors and unable to get the solution. He make take years to understand, or probably not.

anyway, photography is journey of self discovery. we learn something a long the way everyday.

The most controversial one:
- Are you a photographer or XMM stalker? :bsmilie:
Controversial, because it reveals something real. Nothing rhetorical here..

What do you think guys?

Or, which one are you?

You don't see people use screw driver when they need a spanner. :bsmilie:
Use the wrong tool make you look like a fool :bsmilie:
Bring all the lens make you look kiasu :bsmilie:
So bring 50mm for protraits and 18-250mm for everything else

i should think that knowing WHEN to change your lens is the mark of a good photographer. i wouldnt expect you to use a 50mm 1.8 to take macro shots, neither would i expect you to use a 300mm to take wide landscapes (let's ignore the fact that you can do stitching)

a good artisan knows the right tool for the situation

i use the 50mm 1.8 for macros. with an extension tube of course. :p

well, if changing lens will get you the shot you want, go for it.

i think 'brother' isnt answering the question, haha..

Does/Should/Can a photographer not change lens ?

Ryan

Again, too many variables for am outright answer.
What defines a photographer - his photos, or his camera?
What if his pns camera only has 1 lens?
What if he keeps changing FILM? :sweat:

Does/Should/Can a photographer not change lens ?

Ryan

well if you ask me

I do Events Style Photography With Flash most of the time with 18-105 and i always had a Backup 55-200 which i got it years ago

Depends on what really if you are shooting on locations like Maybe Performance in school which the front is most of the time Taboo for Photographers The 200 mm is good

Really depends On what type are you shooting

And the Size of your Pocket

Well About the Term Lens Changer - It is really depends on what are you shooting if you are shooting maybe nature will requires you from maybe 85 - 500 mm Range and Maybe a Portrait From 12-85 MM

Last edited: