Are you a one-camera person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Six-GHz

Nov 29, 2006
This issue has been lingering subconciously behind my mind - am I a one-camera person?

I'm not the one who could chalk up high mileage from my gears, and I don't take pictures on just about everything (ok, except maybe for my kids). In fact I could have survived by just renting a camera. But contradictingly, I love shooting when I am on tours, and the satisfying sound of a mirror slap. But since I'm no globetrotting backpacker, the mileage continues to be ridiculously low.

So to own more than two cameras, be it a dSLR or PnS, is a waste, at least on me. I just need one dependable camera which I could rely on tirelessly for years to come. My old Kodak DX7440 lasted me three full years before I decided to upgrade it.

But joining this poisonous forum (... and my weakening flesh :embrass:), I now had four in my digicab. That is w-a-y off my requirements. And I don't feel exactly good leaving the rest pouting in the box while using another.

Am I getting sentimental over them, or this feeling is felt by some of you too? Just like to hear your comments.

I used to have 6 cameras in which 2 are PnS, 1 prosumer, 1 SLR and 2 DSLRs. In the end i only kept my current 5D and my very old sony PnS for sentimental value. The rest i sold away due to under-utilisation.

IMHO, 3 year usage is short for camera gear. I will expect my gear to last a decade at least. unlike pure computer peripherals where a 5 years old CPU/Graphic card might be too slow to run current games/apps, the camera will still take picture if its working properly. I got a Canon EOS10s which I bought way back to 1990, still work today although the status LCD had blacken. I am anticipating my 40D and G3 to spend their lifetime with me, partly because the value of these digital product depreciated too fast, partly because I don't usually sell my stuff unless they suck. :angel:

IMHO, 3 year usage is short for camera gear. I will expect my gear to last a decade at least.
Yeah, I used to think that too during film days when new models trickle in slower. But with today's products coming in hot and fast, sometimes my resolve just crumbles. I must really salute you for your strength of steel! :thumbsup:

Well, I've had a Nikon D70 for almost 3 years now, and am still faithfully using it, although the latest models tend to flirt with me for my attention... The new cameras are certainly very attractive, but at the price, and considering the fact that I hardly shoot much now that I'm in my penultimate year, I've decided to give them a miss.

I personally do not see anything wrong with "photographic consumerism". As long as it's within your means, why not? Tell me the next time you're gonna buy more, because I'm gonna buy more stocks in Canon Inc and Nikon Corporation too! Haha. ;)

Having said that, we've got to move on with technology. If the latest cameras offer something new that you view as essential, then why not upgrade? In addition, considering that electronics aren't the most reliable thing these days, you might want to unload your gear before it dies on you.

My Nikon D70 is too late though... Insignificant salvage value... That's a good reason why I'm still holding on to it as well...

Last edited:
This issue has been lingering subconciously behind my mind - am I a one-camera person?

I'm not the one who could chalk up high mileage from my gears, and I don't take pictures on just about everything (ok, except maybe for my kids). In fact I could have survived by just renting a camera. But contradictingly, I love shooting when I am on tours, and the satisfying sound of a mirror slap. But since I'm no globetrotting backpacker, the mileage continues to be ridiculously low.

So to own more than two cameras, be it a dSLR or PnS, is a waste, at least on me. I just need one dependable camera which I could rely on tirelessly for years to come. My old Kodak DX7440 lasted me three full years before I decided to upgrade it.

But joining this poisonous forum (... and my weakening flesh :embrass:), I now had four in my digicab. That is w-a-y off my requirements. And I don't feel exactly good leaving the rest pouting in the box while using another.

Am I getting sentimental over them, or this feeling is felt by some of you too? Just like to hear your comments.

You can give me one if it will make you feel any better. I will definitely utilise it.

i buy more cameras so that eventually i can juggle them to impress people

Wanna have a challenge?
Hahahaha..... :D

actually i can't juggle for nuts. but let's stay on topic.

i have 2 bodies, one is ir modded, one is not.

i seem to be doing a lot less ir after i got the modded body, i have no idea why. maybe it is the weather over here.

i like to use one body at anytime - there doesn't seem to be any advantage of having more. for a long time i was thinking of buying the lx3. it is a very nice gadget, and i got to play with my friend's for a while yesterday, and if i had no camera i would definitely buy it. but when you think about the disadvantages of using a p&s versus a dslr, and also the fact that a dslr with a small lens doesn't really attract that much attention (unless you have a d3 monster, which online photographer shows to be as large as a bronica).. responsiveness of dslr wins anyday.

so i was just engaging in some bbb indulgence for fun. thank goodness i woke up.

I got 2 bodies but that's because it's important to have a spare when you are getting paid shooting events.

I got 2 bodies but that's because it's important to have a spare when you are getting paid shooting events.

Haha... I borrow my friends' cameras when that happens...

i have a Sony A200 only
after own the DSLR, i don't bother to use the T100 to take photos anymore :(

I have 3 cameras now in the cabinet. But only 1 is used most of the time.

The film have not been touched in ages. And the other pns is for fishing only. Probably will consider another body soon....

so i was just engaging in some bbb indulgence for fun. thank goodness i woke up.
Most of the time it was just dreams that come and go. But sometimes, some products would come along and be a lingering nightmare - until I lay my hands on it!

i have a Sony A200 only
after own the DSLR, i don't bother to use the T100 to take photos anymore :(
That's good for you! Sometimes knowing a dSLR would be a better option but the bulk of it just puts me off, especially during simple outing for snapshot of kids and stuffs.

I have 1 DSLR, 1 18x prosumer, 2 SLRs, 3 Pns, and many lenses . . . Still thinking of 1 more DLSR :confused:
Wah bro, you good! But that's the magic of consumerism I guess!

I am a one DSLR person
But i got a few film bodies to try film though :)

Cannot help but to admit that many a times ( especially when I have no time to shoot ), I will tend to itch and start to salivate on the short lived adrenaline of owning and trying something new. But whenever I got a chance to shoot, I relish the moment and cannot wait to work on it, and it reinforces to me that true endearing satisfaction of the experience comes from putting the equipment to good work and not a short lived oggling and owning of an underused white elephant.

I still slipped into that abyss. but you starved the idea long enough your mind gets a little clearer at the end.

Ryan

true endearing satisfaction of the experience comes from putting the equipment to good work and not a short lived oggling and owning of an underused white elephant.
Well said. Oggling. Yeah, that's the catalyst that triggers poisonous responses.

I'm a 2-camera person. My pns and dslr. I use pns for video taking.

i only have 1 dslr no PnS :(

dont like buy thing but dont use...

Status
Not open for further replies.