Are you a newbie photographer? (just for laugh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fotoudavid

Mar 11, 2005
Phone call:

''Excuse me, are you a newbie photographer?''

"Yes?!"

"calling from xxx media, i need a event cover shoot and some products shoot, can you do it?"

"can, (thinking can rent studio from friend)"

"you see, as we are always trying out new photographers, giving them opportunities of exposure, we are giving out credits only."

"credit? (wats that???) i don't need credit (still blur)"

"you sure? thats all depends on you. the products shoot will be schedule tomolo (as per normal, rush. at the same time bully the newbie)"

"tomolo? i am ok. (take e leave, look for friends who own studios. cannot miss this opportunities)''

"the event will be next week, and products wise is a bunch of different hand bags. sending you the visual, wats your email?"

"xxxxxxxx@xxx.com"

" when you reply, please state your studio address, and art director with account manager will be there 10am. you sure you don't want credit?"

"eeeee.......can i let you know tomolo? (thinking ask friends wats that)"

"up to you. see you."

"bye..............(still thinking why never say about monies)"

so ppl, who's fault?

Old wine in new bottle…..

Last time new client ask me to do cheap cheap,

He said: Must think of long term relationship you know?
I said: First time I lugi, second time also I lugi, so long term I lugi and you all win. You better go fly kite lar.

Another time…
AD: This job is low budget, but sure will win award one, can and help me lar.
Me: What’s the product?

AD show me the visual, is a product with edge out shoot.

Me: Cannot lar, this is my best price liao, if not you find someone more talented to win the award for you lor.

I am once again reminded by what Tom Cruise said in that movie years ago....

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!

I am once again reminded by what Tom Cruise said in that movie years ago....

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!

What about...

He said: U shoot for me I give u credit, I also got many friends, will introduce to u
(so I think I will have many many credit come my way...)

Something Stupid, but true .....

Customer (cu) : I need to take pictures of a product, can give good price or not, next time I got other products also ask you to take hor ...

Photographer (ph) : (count count .... can still can earn money) Ok lah, give you good price, since it is a long term partnership

cu : Ok, the price is settled, only 1 product, bring tomorrow hor

Tomorrow is here, customer brings product ...... A highly reflective items with 1001 accessories ....

Ph : So all take together ??? (photographer dripping sweat)

cu : No lah, for every accessory, take one shot for each different angle

Photographer fainted ........

Customer (cu) : I need to take pictures of a product, can give good price or not, next time I got other products also ask you to take hor ...

Photographer (ph) : (count count .... can still can earn money) Ok lah, give you good price, since it is a long term partnership

Tomorrow is here, customer brings product ...... A highly reflective item with 1001 accessories ....

smurfman said:
Phone call:

''Excuse me, are you a newbie photographer?''

"Yes?!"

"calling from xxx media, i need a event cover shoot and some products shoot, can you do it?"

"can, (thinking can rent studio from friend)"

"you see, as we are always trying out new photographers, giving them opportunities of exposure, we are giving out credits only."

"credit? (wats that???) i don't need credit (still blur)"

"you sure? thats all depends on you. the products shoot will be schedule tomolo (as per normal, rush. at the same time bully the newbie)"

"tomolo? i am ok. (take e leave, look for friends who own studios. cannot miss this opportunities)''

"the event will be next week, and products wise is a bunch of different hand bags. sending you the visual, wats your email?"

"xxxxxxxx@xxx.com"

" when you reply, please state your studio address, and art director with account manager will be there 10am. you sure you don't want credit?"

"eeeee.......can i let you know tomolo? (thinking ask friends wats that)"

"up to you. see you."

"bye..............(still thinking why never say about monies)"

so ppl, who's fault?

Haha .... i also meet such incidents before since many years back ( or all the while, even now also ) ...
These companies think i am stupid .... :bheart:
(This line sound familiar) :
" ... as we are always trying out new photographers, giving them opportunities of exposure, and WILLING to give you a chance to work with us .... "
Newbie out there .... dun fall into their cheapskap traps lor ... hehe :lovegrin:

catchlights said:
Old wine in new bottle…..

Last time new client ask me to do cheap cheap,

He said: Must think of long term relationship you know?
I said: First time I lugi, second time also I lugi, so long term I lugi and you all win. You better go fly kite lar.

Another time…
AD: This job is low budget, but sure will win award one, can and help me lar.
Me: What’s the product?

AD show me the visual, is a product with edge out shoot.

Me: Cannot lar, this is my best price liao, if not you find someone more talented to win the award for you lor.

Haha ... you also have such expriences .... :bheart:
Always have people ask me .... " long term relationship " or " cheap cheap or discount lar , i will come back to you "
Then i will say .... " Of course! .... the nexttime you look for me, sure quote you cheap cheap wor .... , after you see my this time result liao ..... sure come back for my service again lor ..... " :heart:
Why so many cheapskap companies around ....

blurblock said:

Tomorrow is here, customer brings product ...... A highly reflective item with 1001 accessories ....

I will tell them ....
" i tot you say only one product ? therefore i only bring one memory card lor :embrass: ... or not enough film lor ......
i have a soloution .... i can take ALL IN ONE ... then you can just cut out one by one, see which one you need lor ... anyway, is just accessories mah, not so important also :lovegrin:

blurblock said:

liddat X-Ray d product lor. like wad scientists do to c egyptian mummy- every & any angle oso can!!

A journey of a thousand miles begin with a single step. Upzzzs for newbie, once was a newbie but now still newbie's also, realized, once's never stop learning.

newbie ?? i newbie lor. hw come no one comes and find me ??? i am still waitingg!!!! :cry: come come....

blurblock said:

Tomorrow is here, customer brings product ...... A highly reflective items with 1001 accessories ....

Steady, never hear u say anything abt it. :bigeyes: But its really a helluva nightmare man. I think abt ur situation and shudder. :sweat:

xxxger said:
Haha .... i also meet such incidents before since many years back ( or all the while, even now also ) ...
These companies think i am stupid .... :bheart:
(This line sound familiar) :
" ... as we are always trying out new photographers, giving them opportunities of exposure, and WILLING to give you a chance to work with us .... "
Newbie out there .... dun fall into their cheapskap traps lor ... hehe :lovegrin:
YES! DO NOT FALL INTO THEIR TRAPS!

Some will offer u 'priceless credits' in exchange for ur photos (honestly, u think they'll bother to say or even print out who took the photos for them?). Some will bend things to their advantage using 'friendship'. To make things worse, some will even try to sway things by PLAYING ON UR KIND HEARTEDNESS, the ultimate showdown would be exerting indirect pressure on u via other means.

If you wanna charge money (even for a friend), stick to ur principle and never give in (unless u know genuinely that they are in dire straits and u are the last barrier to their immediate doom and death). Remember guys, at the end of the day, the company that earns thru ur photos earns alot more than what they pay u at one go. Its only a matter of time before they recover their captial and investment costs. Whilst we photographers eat ourselves, these ppl will be luffing their way to the bank.

I guess u guys hear stories all the time abt ppl organising weddings and dinners in big posh hotels, setting up multi-million dollar companies, eating big meat and big fish and stinge on every cent especially where the subject of 'photography' is concerned since digital photography is so accessible and 'cheap'.

My serious advice guys. Though some of u may know me as a joker here and on other forums, this is one advice that I'm very dead serious in giving.

jsbn said:
My serious advice guys. Though some of u may know me as a joker here and on other forums, this is one advice that I'm very dead serious in giving.
Huh? I thought you were always serious? All those times I kena you then?...........

HS

jsbn said:

The last "serious advice" someone gave me I ended up buying his crappy Canon AE-1 that the take-up sprool didn't work properly. Most of the frames overlapped each other.

I would rather you give me a joke. :bsmilie:

hongsien said:
Huh? I thought you were always serious? All those times I kena you then?...........

HS
In a low state these dayz, but when stuff like dis are concerned where I'd the most unfortunate experience, thought I'd wanna share it to all so that newbies can avoid dis kinda situation even before it happens.

Talk abt 'seeing is believing'.

Ppl always used to say, "Talk money hurts relationships."
There's a flipside to it, "Talk money hurts relationships, never talk money u hurt yourself more."

Status
Not open for further replies.