Are you a fan of HDRI?

AYC Nee

Sep 26, 2006
Jurong
Hi

I would love to hear your views on HDRI, love it, hate it, or neutral about it?

Many thanks.

AYC

i like it when it is used well, i hate it when it is not.. and i am neutral when i cannot decide.

for me, I do not know how to appreciate the Surreal type of HDR. Use it to compensate for Dynamic range issue, that is I would prefer.

Last edited:
Many thanks! Aside from Photomatix, are their any other software that can be used to create similar effects?

HDR photos are what inspired me to buy my D90. Hoping for some pros to teach me on how to create HDR photos. I just can't wait!

Kutten.... Many thanks. Very useful links indeed.

no i don use hdr, it makes the photo looks fake.

but it's not always that you can choose not to use...sometimes, you really need to do hdr...make it fake or close to reality, that depends on how you want it to be then...

I think HDR is an excellent option for people who want to extend the dynamic range of their photos beyond what any digital camera is capable of. Whether or not it looks natural is completely up to how the image is tonemapped in post processing. Some images can look very natural, whilst others, very striking and dramatic

but it's not always that you can choose not to use...sometimes, you really need to do hdr...make it fake or close to reality, that depends on how you want it to be then...

:thumbsup:

I think HDR is an excellent option for people who want to extend the dynamic range of their photos beyond what any digital camera is capable of. Whether or not it looks natural is completely up to how the image is tonemapped in post processing. Some images can look very natural, whilst others, very striking and dramatic

:thumbsup:

i like it when well done as an option to extend dynamic range. i hate it when the user starts to treat hdr as a novelty, overusing it non realistically to the point of being cartoony, riddled with halo-like blebs and uneven patches. but it can always be called art

ryan

no i don use hdr, it makes the photo looks fake.

some hdrs.

4021867911_8f37d8136b.jpg

2786136695_d8f84b24df.jpg

2612766583_7a5c3f7a16.jpg

2594519471_2039418822.jpg

1507225683_195fb48df1.jpg

To TS, I bought my dslr because of HDR. lol.
And unlike many, I like the overdone type with the painterly effect.
Its a very personal preference thingy though.

An example I did. =x
Normal shot -> HDR -> Overdone.
To some the middle 1 is already overdone. lol
95070535.gif

Last edited:
From my observation over the past couple of years, I see a lot of people nowadays just hantam buta (anyhow whack) and associate everything they see as HDR. What's worse is people seem to relate all these flaws with HDR.

I don't think one needs to be a fan to appreciate it. If its done properly, it will still look like a normal photo. I think night86mare has shown excellent examples of how HDR is applied and executed well. What really irks me a lot is when people don't understand the concept and technique, anyhow whack then blame the method when things go south. Some go to the extend of calling it art but to each his own. I shall not go there.

I came to the conclusion that if you understand its purpose, used with the right intent and with proper educated guess, I am sure it does not matter whether its HDR or not. Cheers!

Hazmee.... well said and comments much appreciated. I think we can conclude a chapter on HDR. Likes and dislikes are all in the eyes of the beholder. Newer techniques will emerge soon...

Oh yes i love HDR..I prefer tools Photomatix, Dynamic HDR and even Topaz...but sometimes I use manual blending in PS in cases where I dont get desired outcome through the HDR tools.

Also I prefer to maintain natural HDR..in very rare case I like to add punch...but I seriously hate catoonish HDR (with no offence meant for anyone)

Oh yes i love HDR..I prefer tools Photomatix, Dynamic HDR and even Topaz...but sometimes I use manual blending in PS in cases where I dont get desired outcome through the HDR tools.

Also I prefer to maintain natural HDR..in very rare case I like to add punch...but I seriously hate catoonish HDR (with no offence meant for anyone)

wow i like your hdr... will add u in my flickr :)