Are we trying to steal Songkran?

I think the writer is not really smart enough to realize that this event actually PROMOTES Thailand...

After all, it is a Songkran event with THAI food, THAI handicrafts, THAI music...

I don't think the article's main purpose is to put down Singapore in any way. That's just my reading of course, the writer's intentions may or may not be conveyed sufficiently well and only he or she would know.

It seems to indicate that Singapore's move of replicating Songkran is a move away from its "dull and dreary rule-obsessed maiden aunt" reputation, and proceeds to lament how Thailand's space for fun is being increasingly restricted. I thought TS, from his previous line of postings, would be more happy to debate on whether this view is true. But life is full of surprises. ;)

By the way, Songkran is a special day in the Indian calendar: the Assamese, Bengali, Maithils, Oriya, Malayali, Punjabi, Sinhalese, and Tamil New Years fall on the same day.

SG has always been close with TG.

That's why the only embassy with an Orchard Road frontage is theirs.

No doubt this event was organised in collaboration with Thai embassy. It is merely a celebration of Thai culture.

Just like we celebrate Oktoberfest and the Germans are alright with it.

I don't think the article's main purpose is to put down Singapore in any way. That's just my reading of course, the writer's intentions may or may not be conveyed sufficiently well and only he or she would know.

It seems to indicate that Singapore's move of replicating Songkran is a move away from its "dull and dreary rule-obsessed maiden aunt" reputation, and proceeds to lament how Thailand's space for fun is being increasingly restricted. I thought TS, from his previous line of postings, would be more happy to debate on whether this view is true. But life is full of surprises. ;)

you're right about the author lamenting about Thailand becoming the Singapore of the past. of course we can't possibly steal Songkran. imagine millions of Thais flooding Singapore to splash water around. pretty much improbable.

but there's some scorn for Singapore hidden in his article as well.

It seems that the author is not a native Thai. Perhaps he does not really understand why the Thai tourism board sees no problem with Singapore holdings its own mini Songkran. And the numerous Thai we have working in Singapore. The Thai embassy is Singapore often holds these events for their own people as well as for other nationals, to help foster closer ties with each other.

So I find it funny to have a non-native complaining about the perceived lost of an event from his non-native nation.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breakin...1st-songkran-water-festival-goes-dry-20140325

"The Bangkok Post reported last Wednesday that the director of the surveillance bureau at Thailand's Ministry of Culture, Ms Yupa Taweewattanakijbaworn, had threatened to sue festival organisers for undermining the values of the Thai festival."

exactly the problem that the author was underscoring.

shaokenphotos, Please watch your language here in ClubSNAP... be it in text or images you post or link here.

offending posts deleted

Delete my entire post? Nvm..
Can just delete image right?

You used attached file.. very troublesome to delete. so delete whole post.

Next time use img link. But no more vulgar images please.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breakin...1st-songkran-water-festival-goes-dry-20140325

"The Bangkok Post reported last Wednesday that the director of the surveillance bureau at Thailand's Ministry of Culture, Ms Yupa Taweewattanakijbaworn, had threatened to sue festival organisers for undermining the values of the Thai festival."

Cant even pronounce that name... hahaha :D

Lets save water everyone.... want water fight do it in your own shower or in the ocean. ;)

http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1395287595&typecate=06&section=

However, Ms. Yupa told Khaosod late yesterday that her agency, which operates under the Ministry of Culture, has no intention of filing any lawsuit against Singapore.

"I never said anything like that," Ms. Yupa insisted, "Such reports have caused damage to me, and to the Ministry of Culture".

The director of Thai cultural watchdog claimed that she merely said, in previous interviews, that she positively views the Singaporean Songkran as good PR for Thai Songkran, and expressed her wish that the Singaporeans would "play Songkran correctly" in accordance to the Thai tradition.

"It's a sensitive subject. I don't want to cause any disturbance to international relations," Ms. Yupa complained, adding that she's distraught to see her "misquotes" being amplified and "distorted" on the social network.

Andrew Biggs is an OZ Caucasian male who stayed in Thailand for some time. He works for Bangkok Post. He is not a Thai citizen. He is obviously not Thai by birth or race. He is just a farang staying in Thailand and cannot claim to say "our" Songkran, a festival which did not originate in Thailand anyway.

He speaks fluent Thai.

His articles for Bangkok Post are ....not Pulitzer Prize for journalism standard. Just trashy stuff like what you find in Hong Kong gossip tabloids.

Last edited:
Lets save water everyone.... want water fight do it in your own shower or in the ocean. ;)

I think we should call it Singapore Water Festival and creat our own version.

We have XMMs in bikinis on floats along Orchard Road and hose them with water guns giving them a good spiritual cleansing. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Reactions: kei1309
I think we should call it Singapore Water Festival and creat our own version.

We have XMMs in bikinis on floats along Orchard Road and hose them with water guns giving them a good spiritual cleansing. :bsmilie:

or we can have these:

old-woman-in-bikini.jpg

ivana-trump-shows-off-her-bikini-bod__oPt.jpg

i'll avoid the event :bsmilie:

Attachments

• $ivana-trump-shows-off-her-bikini-bod__oPt.jpg
    $ivana-trump-shows-off-her-bikini-bod__oPt.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1