Are we exploiting the less fortunate to sell and promote the YOG?

niki

Dec 3, 2005
SengKang
If you have seen the tv ad about the blind girl, u'd know what i mean.

Deep down inside me, something tells me its not right to use the less privileged to tug at the 89%'s (as stated in the other thread about the CNA poll) heartstrings.

What will they think of next? The blind tissue paper seller to sell YOG tickets? its not meant to be funny or what, it just makes me wonder, are we, as a country, doing this right?

hmm. i have no idea the rationale behind that ad. its abt dreams. perhaps if it was the paralympics i'll be able to understand. but yea. not too impressed

Question: do the vision-impaired dwell in visual arts? Sorry if it sounds a bit insensitive, I'm just wondering if it is natural for someone unable to see to be able to draw (as depicted in the video) let alone use colours... It is a bit logic-defying, if you ask me...

Feel free to slam me for my views if needed be, I'm just wondering if it is a common thing...

Last edited:
Question: do the vision-impaired dwell in visual arts? Sorry if it sounds a bit insensitive, I'm just wondering if it is natural for someone unable to see to be able to draw (as depicted in the video) let alone use colours... It is a bit logic-defying, if you ask me...

Feel free to slam me for my views if needed be, I'm just wondering if it is a common thing...
I understand your point, Vincent van Gogh wasn't blind, but he couldn't see certain colours.........that was what made him famous (I still don't like this paintings though, its subjective)

Many artists made the best works when they were in a deluded state of mind, many times by using mind altering drugs

It seems that having normal senses in many cases doesn't make you a good artist :bsmilie:

The overall YOG thing had left me many bad impressions.

The awkward sounding 'oh yeah oh yeah' song.

The distribution of condoms.

The confusing give way to YOG vehicles thing.

:thumbsd:

A lot of things are done in bad taste.

There seems to be very little international media build-up to the YOG ..... I mean we're literally a couple of weeks away from the Opening Ceremony..........

There seems to be very little international media build-up to the YOG ..... I mean we're literally a couple of weeks away from the Opening Ceremony..........

ya .. i think no one cares as it is not the olympics... moreover this is the first time...

Don't worry. The YOG will somehow make it one. The budget is 4 times that of Comcare at 400M. I think the budget will increase somemore, failure is not an option. :angel:

YOG budget

Yup, I too feel that exploiting a visually handicap to push the YOG is not quite right. Leaves a bad taste,...

well... media is exhausted after the worldcup.:bsmilie:

My company bus is dressed in YOG decals and has this big decals on the window shield: "GIVE WAY". Personally, I thought give way is more suitable for ambulances as it a life and death issue.

My company bus is dressed in YOG decals and has this big decals on the window shield: "GIVE WAY". Personally, I thought give way is more suitable for ambulances as it a life and death issue.

agreed 101%

:)

:thumbsup:

if they are afraid of being late, they should set off early... we are also contributing to the country's economy by travelling to work ... we pay tax... we pay lots of 7% gst......

there's a famous Singaporean artist who is blind I believe
he makes sculptures and I've seen them around different places including the esplanade

agreed 101%

:)

:thumbsup:

if they are afraid of being late, they should set off early... we are also contributing to the country's economy by travelling to work ... we pay tax... we pay lots of 7% gst......

Singaporeans give way to ambulance meh? that's new.

in my opinion, nothing wrong with 'Give Way' sign as they (the athletes) have schedule to be followed..

and believe Singapore want to give a good image and experience to them during the event

Singaporeans give way to ambulance meh? that's new.

Now you said it, yeah hor... haha. :bsmilie: But if they don't paint the "Give Way" on the front of vehicles, people can say it their fault for not telling them. You know, people can give all kind of excuses...

Personally, I felt that the blind girl advertisement for YOG is more suitable for Paraolympic ......

Over budget by 284 million? Building Jamaica a stadium in exchange for promotion. Bus Lane, YOG Lane... It's all BS. I don't see them spending that kind of money helping the less fortunate. IMO, it's a flop.

:sweat: