Are u an Archos AV420 User ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kegler

Dec 25, 2003
myhobbieseatdrink.blogspot.com
Any user comments about this gadget ? any problem playing those anime type of div/xvid? transfering from cf to archos takes how long? any major/minor defects?

TIA

Have been using a 480 for some time already. So far no problem. I know teerex is using a 420, maybe can share pointers.

Dennis said:
Have been using a 480 for some time already. So far no problem. I know teerex is using a 420, maybe can share pointers.

hey dennis... nice meeting u the other day at nikon outing:D ... ur soft filter really make me drool.... after clown's tips still cannot replicate a exact effect leh... think i no talent in this area... probably buy filter easier...

anyway...i compared the 480 n 420.... 480 slightly bigger screen and the screen seems to be matte surface.... but battery internal a turn off...lol....

btw how fast is the transfer of 1gb of pix from CF ? thx

Dennis said:

One super product. Don't know what div/xvid means.

But I do know that I've been using it to record concerts,movies from my DVDs and bring it out when I'm travelling to watch. Screen resolution very good. A 2hr movies takes up just about 1.2Gb of hard disk space.

With the supplied cradle, where all the A/V input and output connections are, recording and playback on TV is simple. But DVD movies that are MacroVision protected will not be able to playback on TV, only on the unit itself. No problem in connecting it to a AV system with the cradle also.

MP3/WMA recording and playback, sound quality good. Audio section has controls for bass/treble boost and super bass boost.

What is normally do is use up about 5Gb of space for my videos and music and save the rest for transfer of photo files from my CF card. 1 Gb of photos from a normal speed CF card takes about 3mins to transfer directly via the built in CF card slot on the AV420.

Battery for the 420 is removable and additional battery can be got from the dealer ($90/-). Battery life is good, and charge up time short. Have not exactly time the battery life, but it lasts.

Don't know what else you need to know. But if price is no object, then the AV480 is a better buy for the additional hard disk capacity. If I'm not wrong the price for the 420 and the 480 has dropped since the last show at Suntec and it comes with a free FM tuner remote unit.

Hope this is of help for you to decide.

no free fm earpiece....and it cost $85.... div n xvid is those Downloadable animes from the net(mods, modify this if u find it offensive :D) was quoted $85 for batt.... to me 20gb is enuff liao... and internal batt really turnoff ie apple ipod products :bsmilie:

1gb only take a few minutes ...thats incredible... its a must buy.... heehee...

Yes, price drop abit...but still quite expensive... but i believe it worths the money... compare with some other portable player.... this is one with everything u want....

sad to say i was at the last IT show for 4days.... but never had e chance to checkout e archos....zzz

kegler said:
no free fm earpiece....and it cost $85.... div n xvid is those Downloadable animes from the net(mods, modify this if u find it offensive :D) was quoted $85 for batt.... to me 20gb is enuff liao... and internal batt really turnoff ie apple ipod products :bsmilie:

1gb only take a few minutes ...thats incredible... its a must buy.... heehee...

Yes, price drop abit...but still quite expensive... but i believe it worths the money... compare with some other portable player.... this is one with everything u want....

sad to say i was at the last IT show for 4days.... but never had e chance to checkout e archos....zzz

I remember seeing an advert saying free FM tuner with purchase at the last IT show at Suntec.

They quoted $90/- for the battery, did not buy yet. Don't think there's a need to at this point in time.

If you buy, make sure you buy a protector for the LCD screen. I took Dennis advise and bought the Martin Fields protector. Fits perfectly and very clear, you hardly notice it's there.

Although it's on the expensive side, I do not have any regrets buying it.

teerex said:
I remember seeing an advert saying free FM tuner with purchase at the last IT show at Suntec.

They quoted $90/- for the battery, did not buy yet. Don't think there's a need to at this point in time.

If you buy, make sure you buy a protector for the LCD screen. I took Dennis advise and bought the Martin Fields protector. Fits perfectly and very clear, you hardly notice it's there.

Although it's on the expensive side, I do not have any regrets buying it.

anyone knows where DOML moved to? lol...i used martin field sp on my xda2... fantastic... my friends always ask me why i never put SP to protect the screen :bsmilie: should be easy... i read it somewhere 420 is the same size as palm t3... but real problem is... where is DomL now??? just went to funan n realise their shop is renovating... martin field also got the battery extender , a black piece of dunno wat place inbetween battery n device...suppose to be increasing batt life by another 10-20%... somehow till today i still feel that its more of a mental effect only :bsmilie:

can't wait to get mine... got so excited now after playing with it today.... lol

kegler said:
anyone knows where DOML moved to? lol...i used martin field sp on my xda2... fantastic... my friends always ask me why i never put SP to protect the screen :bsmilie: should be easy... i read it somewhere 420 is the same size as palm t3... but real problem is... where is DomL now??? just went to funan n realise their shop is renovating... martin field also got the battery extender , a black piece of dunno wat place inbetween battery n device...suppose to be increasing batt life by another 10-20%... somehow till today i still feel that its more of a mental effect only :bsmilie:

can't wait to get mine... got so excited now after playing with it today.... lol

DOML's has moved from Funan to :

336 Smith Street #05-302
New Bridge Centre
Singapore 050336
Tel (+65)6225-2426
Fax (+65)6225-4633
Operating Hours Mon-Fri, 10am-7pm
Sat, 10am-3pm
Sun and public holidays, Closed

It is the building at the junction of Smith Street and New Bridge Road. In front of the wet market and food stalls building. 1st. floor of the building where they are is the CK Departmental store.

Elevator to the upper floors of the building is located around the back. Walk around CK to the rear of the building, you will see the elevator (beside a durian stall).

Hope you can find them.

teerex said:
DOML's has moved from Funan to :

336 Smith Street #05-302
New Bridge Centre
Singapore 050336
Tel (+65)6225-2426
Fax (+65)6225-4633
Operating Hours Mon-Fri, 10am-7pm
Sat, 10am-3pm
Sun and public holidays, Closed

It is the building at the junction of Smith Street and New Bridge Road. In front of the wet market and food stalls building. 1st. floor of the building where they are is the CK Departmental store.

Elevator to the upper floors of the building is located around the back. Walk around CK to the rear of the building, you will see the elevator (beside a durian stall).

Hope you can find them.

moved to such an ulu place.... but its ok lar... after buyiing the sP can sit down n enjoy a bowl of frogleg congee :bsmilie: thx for the info :D

kegler said:
moved to such an ulu place.... but its ok lar... after buyiing the sP can sit down n enjoy a bowl of frogleg congee :bsmilie: thx for the info :D

Just FYI, the eCourts in Funan do sell Martin Fields protector. :)

ark19 said:
Just FYI, the eCourts in Funan do sell Martin Fields protector. :)

aaahhh...thats saves me lotsa trouble.... lol....but then again...i might wanna go doml get.... i like the service there....heehee...and i get a reason to et frog leg congee...heehee....thx for the info again...

still waiting for a good day to get my archos :bsmilie:

How much is the Archos? Also for transferring cf -> Archos, whats the maximum data transferred before battery dies?

Shodan99 said:
How much is the Archos? Also for transferring cf -> Archos, whats the maximum data transferred before battery dies?

teerex said:
1 Gb of photos from a normal speed CF card takes about 3mins to transfer directly via the built in CF card slot on the AV420.

price close to 1k depends on model ... watch movie 4hrs and mp3 12hrs <--from specs...

Wow!! Thats expensive... maybe not for me then...

Shodan99 said:
Wow!! Thats expensive... maybe not for me then...

aiyo... feature packed gadget... somemore portable players r still consider new... in a few yrs time i believe to see those taiwan/china brand selling at $199... lol

kegler said:
aaahhh...thats saves me lotsa trouble.... lol....but then again...i might wanna go doml get.... i like the service there....heehee...and i get a reason to et frog leg congee...heehee....thx for the info again...

still waiting for a good day to get my archos :bsmilie:

Service at doml is good. Buy the protecter there, you can ask them to fix it for you on your device. They do it very well, save you a lot of trouble doing it yourself.

They do it, show it to you. Find any tiny air bubbles between the protector and the screen, they re-do it for you with a smile.

Ha Teerex had answered all the questions. BTW I have everything from the multi card reader to the FM remote to the additional travelling cable. I also have external battery to boot. I think screen the same leh except the 480 have slightly bigger size but now I using 4" screen PDA so can also watch movie on it liow. Me sucker for large capacity HD so that is why the 480 but now they have 100Gb ones. There are more and more such product coming out from others as well except now recording is not so common.

4" pda... hmm... toshiba e800series? or HP 4700? heehee... av420 3.5inch 480 is 3.8inch... not alot of diff i would say unless put side by side...

Status
Not open for further replies.