Are those fungus by any chance?

HTCahHTC

May 9, 2008
Hi CSers,

I'm suspecting those irregular elements are fungus. Can you guys help to clarify it? I do not see it in any of my other lenses though :(

would really appreciate some help here!! :)

Last edited:
For piece of mind, looks like you need to make a trip down to Canon Service Centre and have them verify for you.

You mean on the black part? Looks like part of the moulding process, but not mold (as in fungus)

You mean on the black part? Looks like part of the moulding process, but not mold (as in fungus)

I think you meant part of the molding process, but not mould.

TS, I don't see any fungus.. but you should bring your lens down to the service center to be sure.

I think you meant part of the molding process, but not mould.

TS, I don't see any fungus.. but you should bring your lens down to the service center to be sure.

Yah lor. I usually get the spelling for those 2 mixed up.

For piece of mind, looks like you need to make a trip down to Canon Service Centre and have them verify for you.

Thanks guys! I'm in a dilemma here... I'll be leaving town on Sat and would probably be using this lens. Is it still okay to use this lens for the time being? Will it affect my camera by any chance (cos the camera is new)?

*oh oh! is it still safe to put in the dry box together with other equipments?

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I'm in a dilemma here... I'll be leaving town on Sat and would probably be using this lens. Is it still okay to use this lens for the time being? Will it affect my camera by any chance (cos the camera is new)?

*oh oh! is it still safe to put in the dry box together with other equipments?

Yes it's ok to use. No it will not affect the camera. If anything taking it outdoors, into the sun, will kill mold.

If it really is fungus, I would not put it in the dry cabinet (note that I recommend a dry cabinet over a dry box). But I do not see any fungus.

Yes it's ok to use. No it will not affect the camera. If anything taking it outdoors, into the sun, will kill mold.

If it really is fungus, I would not put it in the dry cabinet (note that I recommend a dry cabinet over a dry box). But I do not see any fungus.

Thank you so much Rashkae! Appreciate it! Haha I've always thought dry box and cabinet were the same -.- but yep I'm keeping it in a dry cabinet for now!

Take it to put under the sun for few hours. The sun Shld kill the fungus.

have you tried looking at the back of the lens instead?

The nearly regular patterns cannot come from fungus. To me it rather looks like traces of manufacturing process.
You would need a colony of mushrooms to see the circular patterns there :)

Hi guys! Thanks for all your replies! Just took it down to CSC and the technician assured that is nth. Like what Octarine have said, it's traces of manufacturing process!

your 1 L lens where got so easy kana fungus 1

L lens or not, in Singapore any lens can easily get fungus. You think L makes it less susceptible to fungus? Nonsense.

mind your word dude i just say "where got easy kana" did i say likely less chance ?

mind your word dude i just say "where got easy kana" did i say likely less chance ?

Yes, in simple logic, you are saying that an L lens will not easily get fungus, implying a higher fungal resistance than a non-L lens. This is nonsense. I did mind my words already.

and L lens got weather seal for zoom lens

Weather seal just means it can resist a certain level of dust/rain. However, this does NOT mean it is airtight or resistant to fungal spores. In fact, zoom lenses tend to be MORE susceptible as they need to push a lot of air around for the zoom.
So again, "L" lens does not mean it's less likely to get fungus.

The humidity level in Singapore is too high, suitable for fungus growth, so it doesn't matter L lens or normal kit lens, the chances are still the same.

As for TS, putting the lens with UV filter off under hot sun for certain period of time might help in 'killing' the fungus, but not too long thou, you won't want your lens to get 'baked'

And also invest in dry cabinet, dry box is way too troublesome, every time have to check the humidity level to ensure that it falls in the suitable range is not a piece of joke. Just buy one dry cabinet and throw your camera in, leather wallets, Rolex watches and many more... You will not regret it.

Just my 2 cents..

hmm...just by putting in the sun to kill the fungus..does it really work?

how?

open lens cap and just let it stand in the sun?

back cap also?

Hinata76 said:
hmm...just by putting in the sun to kill the fungus..does it really work?

how?

open lens cap and just let it stand in the sun?

back cap also?

It kills the fungus but it doesn't remove them. Also, there might be fungus on the inside of the barrel as well, you can't really kill off all of them.