are there any adapters/... to "convert" normal lens into a macro?

slrp61

Apr 27, 2010
Hi!

i'm very new to macro photography. Just wanted to try it out after hearing out from my friends.The issue here is macro lens are rather expensive for me to afford.

Wonder if there is any adapters to convert normal lens to macro?
I'm using a nikon D300 body and nikon lens, tamron lens.

i've also heard there is smth called lens baby? wonder if anyone could share some inform on what it is.

Thanks alot! =)

You can get the Raynox macro filter. It has an adaptor to fit filter size of 52mm-67mm.
Best use with 50mm lens onwards. Many macro shooters are using this to attach to their macro n non macro lens.
Check it out here :)

u can check on vitacon product.. gp to penisula n test b4 u buy;)

as madmartian suggested, i've tried Raynox macro lens. given the cheap price, i've no complaint despite the vignetting. but not VITACON. check out our Buy and Sell section

I see hmm any idea if there will be a difference in the output by reverse vs converter?

what abt price wise?

You can get the Raynox macro filter. It has an adaptor to fit filter size of 52mm-67mm.
Best use with 50mm lens onwards. Many macro shooters are using this to attach to their macro n non macro lens.
Check it out here :)

sorry but could i ask ,if the Raynox DCR 150 Macro Filter can be used on 55-200mm lens? or must be those 105m, 90m type of special lens?
thank you.

A good quality coated/dual or multi-element close up filter can have much better image quality than a poorly constructed single element version.
Raynox has great reviews locally.

Ryan

sorry but could i ask ,if the Raynox DCR 150 Macro Filter can be used on 55-200mm lens? or must be those 105m, 90m type of special lens?
thank you.

the filter size of your 55-200mm lens is 52mm. read the link given by madmartian, the universal snap on adapter fits filter size of 52-67mm;)

Last edited:
haiya daredevil,
u one day dont disturb me cannot issit? i didnt ask him to buy wat.. i just ask him to go n test at penisula.. no harm trying as it only 50.. when i did e test for macro, it was gd but not for potrait or wide lens or telephoto.. its japan product n 10 yr warranty

Hi!

i'm very new to macro photography. Just wanted to try it out after hearing out from my friends.The issue here is macro lens are rather expensive for me to afford.

Wonder if there is any adapters to convert normal lens to macro?
I'm using a nikon D300 body and nikon lens, tamron lens.

i've also heard there is smth called lens baby? wonder if anyone could share some inform on what it is.

Thanks alot! =)

A lot of useful replies with macro suggestions already. No point to 'add salt' :)

Lensbaby

Lensbaby-Muse.jpg

image taken from http://media.the-digital-picture.com/Images/Other/Lensbaby-Composer/Lensbaby-Muse.jpg

is not used for macro, as far as I know. It's for creating a small area of focus within your photo, whilst pushing the rest of the photo into an out-of-focus blur. Characteristics are a bit unique. It's unlike having an f/1.4 lens (thin DOF), for example.
Can Google "Lensbaby" for more explanation.

haiya daredevil,
u one day dont disturb me cannot issit? i didnt ask him to buy wat.. i just ask him to go n test at penisula.. no harm trying as it only 50.. when i did e test for macro, it was gd but not for potrait or wide lens or telephoto.. its japan product n 10 yr warranty

These converters are offered as Macro / Wide Angle Converters, making TS an easy target for those sales men who try to lure unknowing in people in buying that crap. Hint: read the initial posting / subject line again. And since other people gave you the advice to stay away I also find it quite tasteless that you give such advice here. Or did I miss the the Irony Tags?
Beside this, crap with 10 years warranty and named origin remains crap. Since when does the line "Made in Japan" turns rubbish into Gold? Even the copy cats in China have recognized this ..

fadliz86 said:
haiya daredevil,

Why would you recommend something to someone if not for him to consider buying? The quality of these converters are just horrible and it just doesn't seem right to recommend an item to someone else when you have been advised against buying it.

fadliz86 said:
haiya daredevil,

My point is not to disturb you but to give good info for others least they make a bad buying decision.

We extended that advice to you. And we will extend the same to any others similarly.

If I don't say it out, TS may end up making the wrong decision.

But to turn around and give a recommendation with insufficient warnings and fair prices of the recommendation after others have freely provided to you, goes to show how 'helpful' you really are.

And vitacon is a singapore brand. They do not manufacture anything. They just buy products from other low end factories and re-brand them. Not a Japanese brand.

Good luck and have a good life.

Last edited:
And to go to Pennisula when TS might be unfamiliar with the background of the shops there is like leading him to be conned too. An alternative which I am using is automatic focus extension tube. Got the 'meike' brand through ebay for around $70+ for metal mount (better than plastic mount). Auto af helps if you are handheld shooting under good light.

The downside is that you cannot focus to infinity and have to take off the tube. Upside other than auto af, is it comes in 3 pieces of different length so you can try all sorts of combination with your various lenses (no need to worry about filter thread size) to give it a lower minimum focusing distance. Not sure if it works on EF-S lenses as I have yet to test it out.

Furthermore if your lens has IS then you can have a pseudo macro lens with IS !

Last edited:
And to TS, good add on lenses and filters are rayox range of products and hoya/canon close up filters.

You can find fair dealers of these products in mass sales. Raynox's agent is McGill, you can easily find them in mass sales.

Be wise when buying any product. If not sure of pricing can always google and find fair prices of the same items. Never rush.

u can check on vitacon product.. gp to penisula n test b4 u buy;)

have you seen pictures taken with vitacon products??
if after seeing it, and you would still recommend this to someone else, i think you should get your eyes checked..

i can't believe you would recommend this to TS after being advised against buying it when you asked for opinions in your other thread..
people shared knowledge with you, telling you why not to buy it and here you are, recommending it to TS...
it's just plain selfish..

50mm prime lens with Raynox 250

DSC00003-1.jpg

50mm prime lens with +10 HOYA Closeup lens

DSC06195.jpg

18-55mm Kit Lens with Raynox 250

DSC00003.jpg