Are the photos taken by the DSLR really worth the EXTRA weight?!

georgiee

Mar 13, 2012
Hi ive noticed that many of the DSLR users carry bulky camera bags, and have to spend Long hours removing and setting up the camera before a photo shoot. Currently there are many other compact cameras which have almost instant start up and are super portable.

As you all know im Quite new to this aspect of photography. so i would like experienced users of DSLRs to give their openions?

thank you.

of course.........................

just like using a phone which is very lightweight example iphone and dslr , the quality is differenttt xD but of course there are some moment where by photo taken by dslr is not really worth the extra weight example going out to eat with friend normal dinner , i rather use phone / compact cameras..

the main problem is that most people bring every piece of equipment that they have.

if you only bring a camera and 1 lens it will not be that heavy.
if you are passionate about making images then it would not bother you.

if you are bothered about it then maybe you should take it a step at a time
P&S > mirrorless > DSLR > MF > LF

i myself use the camera that is best suited for the shoot.
i use iphone/P&S/DSLR no money for MF and LF and RF

Hi ive noticed that many of the DSLR users carry bulky camera bags, and have to spend Long hours removing and setting up the camera before a photo shoot. Currently there are many other compact cameras which have almost instant start up and are super portable.

As you all know im Quite new to this aspect of photography. so i would like experienced users of DSLRs to give their openions?

thank you.

Its rather subjective, I don't mind the bulk but others do, that's why mirrorless systems are getting popular now. Also, we don't take hours to set up our cameras before a shoot, that would be ridiculous, the cameras start up instantly and changing lenses takes only a few seconds.

if weight is really so big of an issue, you can always use your iPhone 4s. =)
it comes with f2.4 with touch screen focussing!

it's definitely worth the extra weight.

but now we have compact mirror-less cameras like the Sony NEX, Fujifilm X-pro1 and the Leica M

they use the same sensors as DSLR and SLT cameras. and they're lighter and more compact. much more worthy as travel companions.

so if you're talking about going overseas, you would be considering these cameras too.

Unless I'm on assignment, I typically just sling my dSLR together with my preferred lens that day on my neck.

At other times, I just use my iPhone. Not terribly bulky really.

Hmmmm okay will take that into consideration as well.
Shall add it to my Handy Dandy Notebook. HAha....

Disclaimer: if u are refering compact cameras such as the normal point and shoot (put aside all those X100, m4/3 cameras)

You cannot use a compact camera for this kind of photo:
5746864822_078b1319ef.jpg

This shot is a series of photos taken at 30 secs exposure each and stacked into a single photo.

So it really boils down to what you want to use your camera for and shooting what.

If weight is really an issue but you still want quality that a normal point and shoot cannot offers, u can look at cameras like X100 or any of those m4/3 cameras (eg, Olympus pen series) which is more compact in size.

If want a dummy camera (everything auto) and weight is a big issue, a normal point and shoot camera will works fine. But there is quality cameras like this, such as Olympus XZ-1.

Last edited:
worth is in the eye of the user... what is the image going to be used for; how is the image going to be displayed; what is the user's preference to carrying equipment... there are some who only like the lightest point and shoots or camera phones, there are some who carry around medium format systems even on holiday (yes, I've seen it before, but in the film days; haven't seen digital medium format on holidaymakers yet)...

anyways TS. i noticed that you suffer from "spoonfeeding syndrome".

your previous thread had many seniors explaining to you what a DSLR can do for you, now you come up with a thread that contradicts what you wanted to find out.

just buy a camera. the more you "philosophize" about the mechanics of it all, the longer it'll take to get your camera.

anyways TS. i noticed that you suffer from "spoonfeeding syndrome".

your previous thread had many seniors explaining to you what a DSLR can do for you, now you come up with a thread that contradicts what you wanted to find out.

just buy a camera. the more you "philosophize" about the mechanics of it all, the longer it'll take to get your camera.

i agree. buy first, talk later
if still wanna be fed, jus use iPhone 4s la.. see ortega's post? damn nice sia... can even send for 4r printing!

thank you.

A person with passion for food spent time growing all his spices, selecting only the finest. He caught fish from the nearby river, to ensure that it was entirely fresh. He spent a few hundred dollars getting the best wok, and finally when it was served at his party he tasted the fish and it was the best dish he had ever made. He beamed with pride.

Another guest at the party who was less discerning ate the fish and listened to the host (the person who caught the fish) wax lyrical about how great it was, how much time and effort was spent. He thought to himself that it was no different from canned food. The effort was not worth it, definitely!

Take what you want from the story. Cheers.

depends on the situation.
(lame answer, i know, but its true)

how i wish my LX3 can handle all the situations i need to take photos of.
but for my frequent nite outs with my friends, its my constant companion :)

People don't go for DSLR just for better image quality. There are many other things that DSLR excels over the smaller, lighter cameras. There are also things that lighter cameras excel over DSLR. A good photographer can create good images with any type of camera he use. However, professional photographers still prefer DSLRs for paid shoots for a reason - and that may not be image quality alone.

sometime it depend on the subject and not the camera that u r using....

I think it really depends on how u treat photography. I find it fun and enjoyable carrying my heavy camera. Just cant get the same feeling when holding a compact camera. You gonna try yourself.