Are the lens suitable for my needs?

blueblue07

Feb 27, 2009
hi, i've been using 450D with kit lens 18-55mm for the past one year.
i like to take portraits and sceneries. hence, maybe would be good to get some lenses to suit my needs.

if i use 24-70mm/f2.8 for portraits and 10-22mm/f3.5-4.5 for sceneries, would it be ok or are there other alternatives? i thinking of 70-200mm/f2.8 for portraits too.

Thanks for your advice in advanced!

Any lens can be used for any scenario. It depends on the scene, the subject, the composition. I know people who used a 300mm lens for sceneries... Because they were in antarctica.

Well if you have the money and you have experienced that your kit lens doesn't suffice then go ahead with your lenses purchase. All those lenses you intend to get are good lenses. BUT you have to take note of the weight.

24-70 weight almost 4.5x kit lens
70-200 f2.8 IS weight almost 6.5x kit lens

You need batt grip to balance your entry camera body for better handling

i like to take portraits and sceneries. hence, maybe would be good to get some lenses to suit my needs.

if i use 24-70mm/f2.8 for portraits and 10-22mm/f3.5-4.5 for sceneries, would it be ok or are there other alternatives? i thinking of 70-200mm/f2.8 for portraits too.

:bsmilie: Any lens you want to buy is just as suitable otherwise Canon would not have made them. You got to give the lens a try out by renting it to give it a spin or test it in the shop and make your decision. :bsmilie:

You should try to use your kit lens for whatever situation that arises, then figure out why the kit lens "failed", if it did.
eg. If you used it for portraits and you didn't get enough subject isolation from thin DOF, then you can consider a faster lens (eg. f/2.8 constant aperture zoom)
and so on and so on...

It would work fine as well. U can also use the 24-70 for landscape. There are many other fast telephoto options for portraiture, and the 70-200 will fit the bill as well as long as u got the monies.

ryan

both lenses are fine, and suitable.

do note that 24-70 will be better for perhaps half-body to full body length shots, at the longest end maybe a face shot is going to be pushing the boundaries before you get facial distortion from shooting too close for the focal length.

the 70-200 f/2.8 is better for closeups.

10-22 is great, but like others have said, you can use any focal length for almost anything - the only thing is your preference, the situation, and the likelihood of you using it.

also, do note that the kit lens is sufficient for all these - so unless you are really finding it limiting you, maybe it is better to stick with it longer to gain a better sense of what you need. it is my view that if you know what is lacking in what you have, you won't have to ask, and you would just go out and buy it. cheers.

night86mare said:
both lenses are fine, and suitable.

do note that 24-70 will be better for perhaps half-body to full body length shots, at the longest end maybe a face shot is going to be pushing the boundaries before you get facial distortion from shooting too close for the focal length.

the 70-200 f/2.8 is better for closeups.

10-22 is great, but like others have said, you can use any focal length for almost anything - the only thing is your preference, the situation, and the likelihood of you using it.

also, do note that the kit lens is sufficient for all these - so unless you are really finding it limiting you, maybe it is better to stick with it longer to gain a better sense of what you need. it is my view that if you know what is lacking in what you have, you won't have to ask, and you would just go out and buy it. cheers.

So totally agree!
I think too many times people want to take portraits, for example... then they hear from others that the 50/1.8 is damn 'power' for portraits, and start to get 'itchy' without really understanding WHY.