Are Sony products unreliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr|ever

Nov 3, 2002
Visit site
I'm sure almost all of us are users of Sony products. But I've heard quite a number of complaints about Sony. Their product doesn't last very long. Myself, I've bought a few (about 5) headphones from Sony. NONE of them last for more than a year! And I'm still getting it, cos I dun get the same thing from other brands.

Recently, I'm thinking of getting the new Sony F828. I'm not really sure if the camera will face many breakdowns like their other products. And I'm holding back because of factors like these. Another factors is compatibility. I'm glade that F828 now uses CF cards instead of their own memory sticks. But how about other things like filters & wide angle lenses & stuff like that. Can Sony cameras use accessories from other manufacturers?

Gr|ever said:
I'm sure almost all of us are users of Sony products. But I've heard quite a number of complaints about Sony. Their product doesn't last very long. Myself, I've bought a few (about 5) headphones from Sony. NONE of them last for more than a year! And I'm still getting it, cos I dun get the same thing from other brands.

Recently, I'm thinking of getting the new Sony F828. I'm not really sure if the camera will face many breakdowns like their other products. And I'm holding back because of factors like these. Another factors is compatibility. I'm glade that F828 now uses CF cards instead of their own memory sticks. But how about other things like filters & wide angle lenses & stuff like that. Can Sony cameras use accessories from other manufacturers?

i don't think sony products are as unreliable as you state. been using sony stuffs for years, from headphones 2 digicams. all fine. i find their service ok too. my dsc-p1 (which i sold recently to make way for an A1) had problem with charging. then realized sony stated on their site that all dsc-p1 owners can go get it serviced FOC. it came back after a week, worked like new. they replaced some parts (connection) and gave me a new charger (this time the connectors are gold plated).

I still have a working sony tv at home that's older then i am. go figure.

My house had a old Sony that last very long, the newer ones have to repair now and then...... Seems that their reputation out last their products.

BTW, a friend of mine has a broken P1 and was quote $650 for repairs......

I own a

1) Play Station 1 (4 years)( still working ) & Play Station 2 (2 years)
2) 21 inch Flat Triniton TV (2 years)
3) AV Tuner (3 years)
4) Woofer with 5 Satelite Speakers (2 years)
5) MD (3 years)
6) CD player (5 years)
7) Laptop Computer (1 year)
8) PDA Phone (1 year)
9) Cybercam F717 (1 year) & F828 (1 month)!!!(bought it in Japan)
10) Car Stereo (3 years)

All above is SONY.

Eh........ none got problem(touch wood!) but I have heard their after sales service sucks big time! Now that you have to watch out for!!!!

er... pro image, F828 is not out yet in any country. I am curious, are the Japanese getting it very early?

actually all depends on the batch & country made, sometimes luck.

i have a 17" flat screen trinitron pc monitor which died on me just 1-2 weeks before the end of the warranty of 1 year. the support suxs big time when my monitor was there for like a month & they got no idea how to fix & worst no replacement set. & after it was fixed reluctantly, it was spoilt in about 1 month. so end of sony monitors for me.

PS1 suffered from lens problem, guess most of us will have the same problem & just by turning it on its back would solve most of the problem. & my ps2 lens kinda wanna die on me now... can't read some original disc already. but its like more than 3 years so not that bad.

have a headphone which died on me just 1month i bought it thou... 1 side sound 1 side no sound.

but F717 still lives til today, thank god. mayb i am under utilising it. :bsmilie:

I have own quite a few Sony products all my life (but more because they make so many things than because of brand). I do not see sony as any better or any worse than other reputable manufacturers. It's all electronics and the newer products (since 1970's before which they do solid state) are very complex even if manufacturing have improved. As with all electronics, luck matters.

<shameless plug>
All that above does not apply to memory sticks and the CZ lens.
</shameless plug>

I have Sony MD and the battery stuffs super sux but the player still ok but always acting up if i don't turn it on for sometimes.

I have Sony home theater system (HTK-215) and it's still alive and kicking after 2 years going to 3 years.

Had a Sony receiver and it's a good one but sometimes also acting up like the sound is distorted and I have to take the battery out and put it in again.

I have no problem with PS1, F717, CD-R.

I have only One Bad problems with sony. Sony PSC 1 have product recall on battery or charger problems. They did not notify customer but put on the websites. I encounter these problems on many occassions (PSC 1 ) and finally I sent it repair and complain on the issues. Their customer services is a snob ( male customers ). They do not aknowledge the problems but simply gave new battery and charger .Until today I have no times to test the camera and whether the problems is still persist or have been resolve. Their product is good until faulty problems come out, their customers services sucks.

I use to have a Sony DSC F505V (bought in early Nov 2001) and it lasted all of 6 days and the LCD went kaput. Send it to back to Sony Service centre and got it back in 3 weeks. It died again 2 weeks later.
Now have a 707 still ok. :)
Have a Wega TV too - still ok.
Perhaps it all have to do with batches, much like buying computer HDD.

Have owned the following Sony digital cameras over the years:
1) Sony Video8 camcorder (and it still works well 10 years on!!!)
1) Mavica (the one that saves to a floppy disk from a looong time ago)
2) DSC-F505
3) DSC-F707
4) DSC-P2
...and hopefully in future a F828 :cool:

Have no problem with any of them.

sony products are good man..........

somemore if you are getting the top sony products that were made in japan, the build quality is assured.

Other countries maybe a bit inferior but still has the sony quality control

newbie99 said:
sony products are good man..........

somemore if you are getting the top sony products that were made in japan, the build quality is assured.

Other countries maybe a bit inferior but still has the sony quality control

Sorry but not all sony products are made in japan. High grade products are made and assemble in Japan. Products like PlayStation 2, Plasma Screen, 34inch Triniton which has a ES symbols is made in Japan. Some sony tv sets parts are made in japan but assemble in Malaysia n Thailand. So it really depends. I would say most are just the budget ones are assemble in other countries but still sony factiories around malaysia and thailand have a quite strict quality control.

Thanks!

Pro Image said:
Sorry but not all sony products are made in japan. High grade products are made and assemble in Japan. Products like PlayStation 2, Plasma Screen, 34inch Triniton which has a ES symbols is made in Japan. Some sony tv sets parts are made in japan but assemble in Malaysia n Thailand. So it really depends. I would say most are just the budget ones are assemble in other countries but still sony factiories around malaysia and thailand have a quite strict quality control.

Thanks!
man, u have not replied to any of my F828 questions. Can you please reply? ;)

arikevin said:
man, u have not replied to any of my F828 questions. Can you please reply? ;)

In Japan, consumers always gets the first hand and always grade 1 quality. My Jap friend who transport Sony products around Japan has a first hand look at it and manage to get a set for me (have to pay of course). Although Sony is confident it will sell well, they sometimes release a batch which is what you call a Premier batch. This Premier batch is always on the more ex but it was worth the money spend.

Red, polarizing and soft filters, cleaning kits, mini tripod, extra FM-50 battery, a camera bag (leather) and of course the 512 Memory Stick Pro (all worth about $500).

I paid for the camera then at $2050 (after conversion) :cry: but it was worth every penny....................

There you have arikevin if u wan to know. It's true that it is not official out but Japan market is faster than the rest of the world. Besides you must have inside info. Lucky to have a Jap friend in Japan!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

Pro Image said:
Red, polarizing and soft filters, cleaning kits, mini tripod, extra FM-50 battery, a camera bag (leather) and of course the 512 Memory Stick Pro (all worth about $500).

:think: hai.... dunno when will my F828 come... btw just asking hor, your that leather case, is it like the F717 Leather Case which have a separate base & bag, base can be use as a better grip?

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
:think: hai.... dunno when will my F828 come... btw just asking hor, your that leather case, is it like the F717 Leather Case which have a separate base & bag, base can be use as a better grip?

The leather case is quite similiar to the F717 for better grip but to me I find it a hassale to put it on and take it out, bei the F717 or the F828.

Check out this website for more info on some of the things I got but it's Jap language only.

Mini Tripod, Filters, New Flash Unit, The Aluiminium Case (not to sure if it is the one that you all getting) and so on........

http://www.sony.jp/products/Consumer/DSC/DSC-F828/acc.html

Status
Not open for further replies.