Are Serial ATA drive available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
Melbourne
question as above - are S-ATA drives available yet?

Or if not, can a parallel ATA drive be installed via a S-ATA to P-ATA converter?

Reason for asking, building a new PC system and want to be bleeding edge :p

Specs for new system:-
Pentium 4 3.06GHz
An Intel E7205-based mobo (Asus P4G8X or Gigabyte GA-8INXP)
thinking seriously about 1GB memory
at least 100GB storage (RAID 0 config?)
Sony DVD+RW optical storage
Most likely an ATI 9700-based graphics card

Feedback on the S-ATA plus comments on the proposed system are welcomed ;)

Wah........

Last I heard, the drives are not out yet.. that was last week... or maybe I was not looking at the right places....

BUY BUY BUY

yes....sample avaliable for me only :D

but my advise is, dun bother to get SATA now...wait for the next generation of SATA

too much bugs already, even the sample also cannot work properly...still working with the manufacturer to get the driver up

anyway....benchmark shows that it is not really better than the old IDE harddisk....so if u want performance and reliability....go for SCSI

FYI, parallel ATA drive be installed via a S-ATA to P-ATA converter, but not every manufacturer are so kind to throw in this converter for free.....

P4-3Ghz is over $1k just for the CPU alone..wait for the price to drop lar.....

dun get Sony DVD writer...wait till Feb 2003 then buy the more reputable Pioneer or TDK DVD writer

Thanks for the feedback - thats also what i thought about S-ATA drives since I could not find any price info online.

Maybe I should go for a RAID 0 config with a couple of IDE drives since the mobo has Promise RAID capability built in.

Bleeding edge sometimes means much debugging...
not to worry, this is probably the 7th or 8th PC system I am building from scratch ;)

Originally posted by Darren
Thanks for the feedback - thats also what i thought about S-ATA drives since I could not find any price info online.

Maybe I should go for a RAID 0 config with a couple of IDE drives since the mobo has Promise RAID capability built in.

not to worry, this is probably the 7th or 8th PC system I am building from scratch ;)

ya...i think SATA still cannot sell becos of all these bugs

now IDE harddisk's QC is getting from bad to worst.....i was running 4 x RAID 0 last time...but after one accident.. (luckily i still manage to retrieve all my data)....i immediately change to SCSI

not only QC, but after sale service also getting worse...last time i just have to bring the spoil harddisk to the factory for 1 to 1 exchange....but now i have dozens of spoil harddisk at home but cannot send back for RMA even they are under warranty...2 of them are Seagate harddisk and after they come back after RMA, they still have bad sector!!...in total i send back the harddisk 3 times...still come back with bad sectors...so now i give up already

Maxtor one even worst...have to paid $50 handling fee for each drive just to get RMA (even it is local set with warranty)....3 x $50 = $150...as well buy a new one....

i give up hope on IDE already....now even u buy new harddisks and they only comes with 1 year warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.