are photographers arrogant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eadwine

Jan 17, 2002
east side
i just met this guy while on a farm trip today, apparently he had like 13 yrs of journalism experience but no degree.

hes from singapore, says like o how canon only gives 20 people only to test out new cameras and he's one of them, how many lens he has and all.

in my heart , i felt in a way he's like "DUA PAO" but in another way i couldnt say anything cos he really seems like he has the experience.

he called my D60 a TOY!!!!!, and telling people they shouldnt buy junk like that. sheeeesh.

anyone know him? think his name is renga or something.
cant believe he called D60 junk!!..:dunno:

Simple. Just forward his quote to Canon. And see if he can still test Canon stuffs again? :p

To a certain extend, I can see where he (a supposed photo journalist) might be coming from... He's most likely used to using the higher end bodies and in certain situations, the bodies manufactured for the general consumers just won't handle the beating some of these guys put the bodies through! And this is not isolated to Canon bodies only... take the Nikon D100 compared to the D1 series bodies, the actual body construction is completely different as well (D100 is mainly plastic while the D1 series is mainly metallic).

However having said all that, I agree that his method of expressing this by calling the D60 "a toy" was totally un-called for!

everyone is entitled to their point of view, and their rights to brag.

The only thing is, if you find him helpful or credible, then you believe him.
If his philosophy doesn't mesh with yours, you can always ignore him.

If he tells people your camera is junk, then it's up to people to believe him. :dunno:

Why get pissed over someone's else's POV?

Experience doesn't always means authority or true knowledge anyway.
:D

Originally posted by eadwine
i just met this guy while on a farm trip today, apparently he had like 13 yrs of journalism experience but no degree.

hes from singapore, says like o how canon only gives 20 people only to test out new cameras and he's one of them, how many lens he has and all.

in my heart , i felt in a way he's like "DUA PAO" but in another way i couldnt say anything cos he really seems like he has the experience.

he called my D60 a TOY!!!!!, and telling people they shouldnt buy junk like that. sheeeesh.

anyone know him? think his name is renga or something.
cant believe he called D60 junk!!..:dunno:

photographers are also human, people, so character and behaviour are difference too.
not all are the same as the one you met.
but as a good and pro photographer, not only he/she is able to take good photographs but also must be very well discipline. I see no reason why a pro-photograher can go round shooting photos and talk big like nobody business.;)

why did you talk to a junk in the first place.

like someone said before one man's meat is another man's poison....

Hey, so long u like what u get out of your D60, y take to heart abt what he said?

So long u can justify the use of ur "toy" so to speak, its ok....
To him, it may really be a toy mainly becos like what szennyboy said, hes gotten used to handling some of the best cameras that is available now....

Hence....his thinking....
He may be right/wrong, but thats another pt altogether....

As to ur thread title......

Whether hes considered arrogant or not, i think u get this kinda pple in every kinda trade...so maybe u meet one whose kind n nice.....

:)

if he says d60 is a toy/junk
in this case the is telling people canon produces junk and toys.... and not to forget the is a 'tester' from canon what will canon think about such people when they help test their products.
here i believe he is telling canon that the d60 is good (cos cannot talk bad abt his sponser) there he is calling the sponser's things junk....what a joke

btw what farm was that and how did u spark off a conversation with him

Live and let live lar. Why let such people ruin your day?

What's the use of having non-junk equipment like say, a 1Ds when you can't shoot well right? Prove to him you can take better pics with a D60. :)

Regards
CK

ok my two cents view here

I have been involved in many public projects and from a professional pt of view, I might personally think some of these projects are shitty due to

1)unhappy experiences; (subjective)
2)technical/design issues; (objective)

similarly I am sure many of us have come across such occurrences
it is more impt is to find as many learning lessons as we can from every experience... be it good or bad.

we often get pissed or too scared to confront the issue...

for this instance
1)ask why the chap think the camera is a junk
2)learn from him how he got to be one of the 20 local Canon testers

whether he choose to share these info or not is besides the point. The point is you should learn to react positively to even the worst remarks and turn it around to your advantage. I, too, am trying very hard to remember these points

What I thinked is that, by he saying that your D60 is a toy is actually telling you that why someone educated like you owning a D60 that didn't produced any good, wherelse he without one make it into journalism.

This is the first sentence in your post. I hope you think back what have you said to him at the beginning when you met him.

Just my thought anyway.

Cheers.:cool:

At the end of the day. It is the picture that speaks a thousand words.

If you are happy and am able to take good picture with your existing outfit, why be bothered by his comments?

I'm sure anyone in this forum would be immensely impressed if any member here is able to produce a good shot worthy of compliments from a compact camera rather than an SLR.

I for one would be greatly humbled by a person using a so-called "inferior" camera and is capable of taking good photographs.

All cameras have a certain aspect that they are unable to perform too well in, even for the top of the range pro-models (AF, low-lighting, metering, etc). What a photographer does is to learn how to work around all these problems and still be able to take great photographs within the camera's technical capabilities.

The camera plays a part, but the user has to be the one capturing the moment and essence of the subject.

Don't worry too much about gear and equipment, its the image that we're interested in.

;)

if he's a photo journalist, what publication/paper is he from? i'd like to see his brilliant photos taken with his "pro gear"...:rolleyes:

one this is that for example before the eos 66 is launch, was he only going around with an eos 66
haha
i think if a d60 he calls it junk
what about eos66

D60 a toy?

Anyway, does it even matter what camera one uses?

I do not believe that using a high-end camera will definitely produce a good image, someone good even using a entry level camera may perhaps produce a better one.

Isn't that true? Why care?

Eadwine,

I'd ignore his comments completely. One way to pull his cork is to ask him for his business card, as I'd be almost willing to bet my life that this guy was no PJ nor professional photographer.

His comment on there only being 20 testers for Canon gear is likely to be incorrect. I know of at least 2 Singapore photographers who are testers for Canon and half a dozen here in Australia and in purely numerical terms Europe, Japan and the USA have considerably more 'testers' than the local markets.

However, it's one thing to wind up users via the net, however no Photo-journalist is likely to do so in real life, as one of the keys points in being a successful PJ is to get on well with people.

Secondly I can't recall the last time one of my brethern actually put down a bit of kit when a person was standing there holding it. If asked directly by the owner what "I" (as a professional photographer) think of it most of us will reply with something pretty bland and innocious like it's 'nice' or 'its suitable for doing what it's designed to do'.

Then again there are some right amateur w*nkers with more money than sense who call themselves professionals but are really only amateurs who take on a few low rent jobs.

thanks for the replies guys, anyway i chose to ignore him about what he said and probably suck his knowledge dry if i do intend to take the short course he may be conducting

Status
Not open for further replies.