Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamapi

Deregistered
Feb 27, 2008
yes no?:dunno:

I've heard many older working people making such comments but how true is that?

What does that mean? Living on credit?

I think there's less of a "savings" culture than before.
staying with parents+ later marriages or not getting married = more money to spend on yourself for goods

What does that mean? Living on credit?

That is one possibility.
But i believe most people,especially youngsters,specifically teenagers do not have credit cads but have already earned themselve the title "flashy clothes but empty pockets":dunno:

That is one possibility.
But i believe most people,especially youngsters,specifically teenagers do not have credit cads but have already earned themselve the title "flashy clothes but empty pockets":dunno:

Haha I am the other way round. I think my dressing is relatively lok kok, 'cause I spend on gear. :embrass:

My clothes are so worthless, but I'm quite financially full :what:

My clothes are so worthless, but I'm quite financially full :what:

It' better to be finacially stable:)

Somehow i find it amusing that some people around me are don in branded stuff but their bank are virtually empty and have to constantly borrow $ from me and common friend

I'm not saying i don't buy expensive stuff but i make sure i have at least 4 digits in keep and would never live off credit.

It' better to be finacially stable:)

Somehow i find it amusing that some people around me are don in branded stuff but their bank are virtually empty and have to constantly borrow $ from me and common friend

I'm not saying i don't buy expensive stuff but i make sure i have at least 4 digits in keep and would never live off credit.

Almost everybody lives off IOUs sooner or later, even the financially prudent. The idea is not not to borrow, but earn more and save more. Even when you have the money, you would rather keep it as cash and borrow from the bank for you know what I mean needs.

Almost everybody lives off IOUs sooner or later, even the financially prudent. The idea is not not to borrow, but earn more and save more. Even when you have the money, you would rather keep it as cash and borrow from the bank for you know what I mean needs.

But living off IOU's practically means borrowing and paying later and aren't they generally for huge sums such as purchasing a car or aquiring homeownership?
This makes perfect sense.

However,i'm referring to youngster who have little in the bank.
Most if not all of the time,i accidentally see a 'worthless' bank account whenever the teenage infront of me finishes his transactions.[you know,the machine demostrate the account balance]
And ironically,it is these 'people' who borrows the most from me.:rolleyes:

That is one possibility.

It's their choice. Things are not the same like last time. So?

It's their choice. Things are not the same like last time. So?

So isn't it an ironic sight?
Asmusement at it's best.

Yes and no. Depending on the individual.

Some people are going for it to up their social class so they can blend in easily with others of similar standing...

Some others are genuinely well to do and they have to maintain a certain image to others.

With the influx of second hand branded goods shops and imported fake AAA+ grade branded goods... wearing branded goods not a predictive measure of a person's wealth.

The differing factor is the way the person carries himself in public - in terms of mannerism and courtesy that determines if he of a certain social standing.

I seen both ends of the spectrum on this issue and i find that language is a telling factor... if the person has good usage of language which flows in a certain rhythm that is pleasing to the ears... chances are that he is well to do.

Yes and no. Depending on the individual.

Some people are going for it to up their social class so they can blend in easily with others of similar standing...

Some others are genuinely well to do and they have to maintain a certain image to others.

With the influx of second hand branded goods shops and imported fake AAA+ grade branded goods... wearing branded goods not a predictive measure of a person's wealth.

The differing factor is the way the person carries himself in public - in terms of mannerism and courtesy that determines if he of a certain social standing.

I seen both ends of the spectrum on this issue and i find that language is a telling factor... if the person has good usage of language which flows in a certain rhythm that is pleasing to the ears... chances are that he is well to do.

How is the quality of language used an indication of one's financial background?
Certainly,there isn't any co-relation between these two.

Anyway,let's not derail.

Haha, you will be quite surprised actually.

Look out for the amount of metaphors they use in their daily language.

It is a better indication compared to branded goods.

How is the quality of language used an indication of one's financial background?
Certainly,there isn't any co-relation between these two.

Anyway,let's not derail.

But living off IOU's practically means borrowing and paying later and aren't they generally for huge sums such as purchasing a car or aquiring homeownership?
This makes perfect sense.

However,i'm referring to youngster who have little in the bank.
Most if not all of the time,i accidentally see a 'worthless' bank account whenever the teenage infront of me finishes his transactions.[you know,the machine demostrate the account balance]
And ironically,it is these 'people' who borrows the most from me.:rolleyes:

it's a new world. I don't see anything ironic about this.
so what if your bank account has 4 figures?
did someone piss you off by borrowing money from you, that you have to make all these snide remarks and generalisations about such people

"I've heard many older working people making such comments but how true is that?"

you seem to already started the topic wanting to accuse people of this so why not just drop the pretense about "older working people" making such comments and state:
"people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty."

Just take a look around clubsnap forum here. Many are buying photo gear in the name of hobby, but waiting for their pay or borrowing to make their purchase. Many are getting that way too can't afford it lens or top end camera and then complaining got no money left except to eat grass until the next paycheck or look for a discount of $10 - 20 to save money or no money to buy dry cabinet or cleaning cloth...8) Don't flame me....I am not condemning anyone, just making observations only.

Anyway, what does it matter? Its their life. In every generation, there are people who do not save, and there are people who do not spend.

As for me, there is a need to have extra set aside for the future, and only if you have extra, then spend on your needs, not your wants. No point buying all those gadgets and then don't even have savings for your daily needs. Its not how much you spend, but how much you don't spend. You can get by with a low income, if you know how to spend wisely.

Are people now don with flashy/branded stuff but financially empty?

If you don't spend the money to buy cameras and lenses now, when you've gone into The Other World the money they burn for you can only buy paper DSLRs and paper L lenses. :bsmilie:

Better off feeling the solid things in your warm little hands now. :bsmilie:

Just take a look around clubsnap forum here. Many are buying photo gear in the name of hobby, but waiting for their pay or borrowing to make their purchase. Many are getting that way too can't afford it lens or top end camera and then complaining got no money left except to eat grass until the next paycheck....../QUOTE]

This is very true.

I haven't been eating real food for three days after I've bought the original Canon 72mm lens cap. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.