Are monopods enough for exposure >1 second?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpenza

Jan 18, 2002
Singapore
www.instagram.com
or should we still use tripods for the long exposure shots?

I was trying and found that ~1/40s for a 200mm equivalent zoom is about the max I'm comfortable with.

(assumption: monopod is not fitted to a base or tied to something ;p)

Definitely NO. Even 1/30s is hard to get sharp images if using a 70-200. But this is my story.

Thanks for the confirmation :)

sigh.... probably should've saved on the monopod I guess. but at least the head I got for it is useful on the tripod too :)

Originally posted by mpenza
Thanks for the confirmation :)

sigh.... probably should've saved on the monopod I guess. but at least the head I got for it is useful on the tripod too :)

It's still useful in instances where you have a long lens (70 or 80-200/2.8 type or longer) and want to stabilize it for your shoots, or for letting you hand hold your camera down to lower light levels (maybe till 1/8 or so depending on your skill and lens).

Or you can use it as a weapon too.

Regards
CK

not so bad then :) would probably need it if I were to use a teleconverter with the S602Z and don't want to bring a tripod around. it makes quite a good walking stick too.... though it's (Slik Ez Pod Junior) not as hardy as the manfrotto ones ;p

I went to try one at CP leh.. but the thing is to stabilise the lens so unless the monopod pin is on the lens very hard to stabilise leh, i.e. big long lenses... I tried using two legs slightly open from my tripod... much better hahaha... but still a bit pitch (vs yaw and roll)

ideal one is to have a machine gun mount (like our fave GPMG)

is there a mount extender that can be used to shift the point of pivot, aka screw pin?

was fantasizing when I saw those sponge mops in the supermkt LOL...

Six seconds? Congratulations. Nice to know someone else has the same ability as myself. I take brilliant pictures at up to about 8-10s with a monopod as well, with my specially constructed camera and lens made out of the bottom of a coke bottle.

Originally posted by Jed
Six seconds? Congratulations. Nice to know someone else has the same ability as myself. I take brilliant pictures at up to about 8-10s with a monopod as well, with my specially constructed camera and lens made out of the bottom of a coke bottle.

I've seen that camera somewhere. The coke bottle was suspended with rubber bands, as I recall. Brilliant piece of engineering.

Well, let's not start another "I can handhold long exposures as long as I lean onto something or I have IS lenses" thingy shall we? Don't kid yourselves. We all know it doesn't work that way.

Originally posted by StreetShooter

I've seen that camera somewhere. The coke bottle was suspended with rubber bands, as I recall. Brilliant piece of engineering.

Mmm, yes indeed, inherent stabilising effect 10x better than any IS or VR system, as it's natuarally opposes any movement by the lens! Brilliant!

Originally posted by 007

here's mine,
2sec shot without monopod and without leaning against any pillar or wall , hand held and without IS :D

digital shot? it's hard to hand hold when the vibration of mirror slap comes into play...

Status
Not open for further replies.