Are monopods enough for exposure >1 second?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my 1/2 second shot at 125mm using 28-135 IS USM with IS on:

00003915.JPG

You can see that it is pin sharp.

Well, maybe not, but I did not use a monopod.

Holy crap!! :what: All this happened when I was asleep? This thread is getting pretty nasty. What I'm claiming is that my camera is pretty good at IS. To get best results I dont use the zoom and I use ISO 400. I'm able to take pretty steady shots even at 4-6 seconds. May not be pin sharp but its pretty ok to me at least.

You can take a look at my old shots taken with tripod.
Night Shots

These shots taken without tripod.
Chinatown

The lens I'm using is a canon lens. The IS technology is also canon. What I can't accept is you guys believing that 1/30 is the limit. I have taken countless numbers of shots at this setting. Maybe I should give a demonstration. :devil:

Originally posted by StreetShooter
Here's my 1/2 second shot at 125mm using 28-135 IS USM with IS on:

00003915.JPG

You can see that it is pin sharp.

Well, maybe not, but I did not use a monopod.

My six second shot looks better than this. I think everyone will agree with that. ;)

Originally posted by maddog
Holy crap!! :what: All this happened when I was asleep? This thread is getting pretty nasty. What I'm claiming is that my camera is pretty good at IS. To get best results I dont use the zoom and I use ISO 400. I'm able to take pretty steady shots even at 4-6 seconds. May not be pin sharp but its pretty ok to me at least.

You can take a look at my old shots taken with tripod.
Night Shots

These shots taken without tripod.
Chinatown

The lens I'm using is a canon lens. The IS technology is also canon. What I can't accept is you guys believing that 1/30 is the limit. I have taken countless numbers of shots at this setting. Maybe I should give a demonstration. :devil:

Its alright. Keep it to yourself and youeself only. You obviously have lower standards of tolerance than the majority. But that's you, its ok.

aiyo, someone will bomb u again.

Bear in mind that those consumer class cameras have in-camera sharpening so the result is sharper than those right out of DSLR. Even though, IS cannot save your day unless u know its limits.

I hope you haven't misled someone into rushing off to the shop to buy an IS lens thinking what you'd like it to be. He/she will be sorely disappointed.

Its time for you to get real and start finding out more about what you don't know(despite what you think) instead of engaging in sarcasm. You would definitely denefit from that.

Originally posted by Kit
I hope you haven't misled someone into rushing off to the shop to buy an IS lens thinking what you'd like it to be. He/she will be sorely disappointed.

Its time for you to get real and start finding out more about what you don't know(despite what you think) instead of engaging in sarcasm. You would definitely denefit from that.

I dont need to mislead people into buying an Oly 2100. Its 3 years old and still in demand and a steal at 800bucks. Sarcasm? I thought you're better than me at that.

I dont need to mislead people into buying an Oly 2100. Its 3 years old and still in demand and a steal at 800bucks. Sarcasm? I thought you're better than me at that.

As usual, you missed the point again. I was talking about your misconception with the IS technology.

I would prefer to be known as a better photography than you. As for sarcasm, I'll give it to you.

I know, I sounded arrogant. I figure you deserve every bit of it. Which is rare.

Originally posted by Kit

As usual, you missed the point again. I was talking about your misconception with the IS technology.

I would prefer to be known as a better photography than you. As for sarcasm, I'll give it to you.

I know, I sounded arrogant. I figure you deserve every bit of it. Which is rare.

Misconception about IS? The technology still depends on who's manufacturing it and who's holding the camera.

"better photography" than me? :D Your arguments are as flawless as your English.

You're a pretty arrogant SOB. And you have been from the other thread about projection TVs.

Chaps chaps chaps! Hold on a sec.

Serious stuff first. Vallina coke bottle? What's that?

Show my stuff? Sorry, still looking to get a scanner that can scan 5x4 which is what I use with a coke bottle.

Even more serious stuff. Maddog. Your lens is made by Canon? Well they only claim 2 stops improvement. Why should a manufacturer be conservative in their estimate? (2 stops, for whoever needs it's benefit, would be 1/8s as opposed to 1/30th; that's still a whole 48 times shorter than Maddog can hold a camera steady for).

I'm not saying Maddog can't do it. In fact, I just said he can (see last sentence of previous paragraph, in parenthesis; "1/30th... (is) 48 times shorter than Maddog can hold a camera steady for".

Just wondering why Canon are so conservative.

Now on the not-so-serious note, along Roy (I think) lines. I can shoot an IS lens for 6s as well, and that's a 6s exposure not a 1/500s cop out. Tack sharp pictures.
But only on a tripod. Hehehe. Pity I don't have the skill Maddog does. Mebbe he was born to be a PA...

You're a pretty arrogant SOB. And you have been from the other thread about projection TVs.

Just thought I'd preserve that line for posterity. Absolute classic. In fact, I might make this a sticky. For those who don't know, an SOB is a...

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

or should that be

:dent: :dent: (another crap excuse to put that smilie in)

Misconception about IS? The technology still depends on who's manufacturing it and who's holding the camera.

"better photography" than me? :D Your arguments are as flawless as your English.

Like I said, you have a misconception. No matter who manufacturers IS, it would still be the same. It has it limits due to the physical world we are living in. When the shutter is open, the film is very sensitive to even the slightest movement that would result in a blur image. You won't be able to handhold 6secs without moving a wee bit. IS will help in a short moment but definitely not prolonged exposures. The film is constantly recording movement as the shutter opens.

And yes, I have been to that thread as well. If not, I wouldn't have found out that you know jackshit about consumer priorities as well.

Originally posted by roygoh
OK guys, I have to ask you to stop here.

Ok guys. I have to ask you to carry on here.

Own time, own target, carry on...

:bsmilie: :D :bsmilie: :D :bsmilie:

Oh well, since we're still at it, I might as well announce that I've found a picture of Jed's camera on the web!

It's here:

eggcracker1.jpg

Note the sophisticated IS mechanism.

Status
Not open for further replies.