are metal bodied lens better ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

posn75

Jul 17, 2004
Just had a discussion with a family fren, according to him metal bodied lens are definitely better than plastic body lens ... is this true ??

Just had a discussion with a family fren, according to him metal bodied lens are definitely better than plastic body lens ... is this true ??
up to you to decide... for the price, i rather get plastic... more than good enough for most use

unless you're gonna smack someone in the head with a camera :bsmilie:

unless you're gonna smack someone in the head with a camera :bsmilie:
eh I think even with the high-end plastic used on camera body, it is good enough to smack heads liao

Personally, I prefer metal bodies to the plastic ones. But you have to consider the weight of the body plus lens and flash. ;)

well, generally i heard feedback that most prefer metal due to the feel .. ( i can imagine the feel if one lands on the head .. haha ) .. other than tat the weight is another issue .. well i guess they dun make metal lens ( at least in the case of the big N & C ) ... anymore due to the weight of camera bodies getting lighter bah ..

i feel that metal bodies are meant to be trashed around.. or else whats the point ?
but if it makes you happy... then do get one

yes, it made me happy and i own some

metal is good... better still if it's heavy metal

i feel that metal bodies are meant to be trashed around.. or else whats the point ?
but if it makes you happy... then do get one

i think the plastics used are getting better so there shouldn't be much of a concern.. seriously.. even with a metal body what are u going to do with it? throw it around? unless u do lots of outdoor shooting where u will knock ur camera here and there.. there's really no need for a metal lens..

main thing I would focus on is the optic quality, then the build... no point getting an iron lens if it s*cks at taking picutres.. but if i take care of a good plastic lens it'll last a long time.. metal's pretty heavy too...

i think the plastics used are getting better so there shouldn't be much of a concern.. seriously.. even with a metal body what are u going to do with it? throw it around? unless u do lots of outdoor shooting where u will knock ur camera here and there.. there's really no need for a metal lens..

main thing I would focus on is the optic quality, then the build... no point getting an iron lens if it s*cks at taking picutres.. but if i take care of a good plastic lens it'll last a long time.. metal's pretty heavy too...

The thing about polymers is that they tend to be embedded with plasticizers which "leaks" out over time, therefore having the sticky feeling. I hate that.

Then again, the elastomeric grip on the lens be it a metal or plastic body would have the same effect.

My $0.20.

A metal barrel feels more solid to the touch and feel whereas a plastic body feels "soft" and "cheap". Compare holding a Lecia with the Holga, Canon or Nikon bodies. Which one has a better feel?

I remembered hearing about this also. The argument was that the warping was less likely with a metal body as opposed to that of a plastic body.

Unless one would like to to some weight lifting. If both lenses of the different material of construction produces the same quality of photos, I would go for a plastic lens. Consider the Nikkor 17-35mm, 28-70mm etc, all are or have plastic parts on them. ;)

Since the technology of plastics (Polymer) have come such a long way, their properties can or have surpassed their metal counterparts.

I say......aaahhhhhh why care so much, it's the pics that is important anyway! :bsmilie:

I don't mind the plastic that Nikon uses for it's bodies (Canon's type is just plain cheap), but it's always nice to have metal lenses. I don't care about how well it withstands impact (in fact plastic should be tougher in that aspect, since plastic will absorb shock much better than metal, instead of transferring the energy to the lens, and damaging it), I like metal lenses for the same reason some people prefer brushed aluminium mobile phones or magnesium alloy laptops, or polished metal on the back of iPods- it just feels so much more expensive..

you have a valid point :thumbsup:

each to her own

I like metal lenses for the same reason some people prefer brushed aluminium mobile phones or magnesium alloy laptops, or polished metal on the back of iPods- it just feels so much more expensive..

Status
Not open for further replies.